SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Puppy proofing my backyard ideas..??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Puppy proofing my backyard ideas..?? Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
We are looking to add a French Bulldog to our pack and there are some gaps at the bottom of our wood fence that do not reach all the way to the ground. It’s not a concern for our 145 lbs Bull Mastiff, but a pup could easily get under the fence in a couple of spots. I need some thoughts/suggestions to fix this please..thanks!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Either physical barriers (like covering the gaps with stones or bricks), or else run an "underground fence" wire around the bottom perimeter of your fence and have the puppy wear the underground fence shock collar.

I had to do the latter with a Schnauzer that liked to dig out under the backyard fence. The collar would beep if they got to within a foot or so of the fence (wire), and then shock them. Didn't take more than once or twice for them to figure out they needed to stay 12.1 inches away from the fence.

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Bricks or patio blocks. BTW, there is no such thing as "puppy proof"....evens crates. Wink

Posts: 3938 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Either physical barriers (like covering the gaps with paving stones), or else run an "underground fence" wire around the bottom perimeter of your fence and have the puppy wear the underground fence shock collar.

I had to do the latter with a Schnauzer that liked to dig out under the backyard fence. The collar would beep if they got to within a foot or so of the fence (wire), and then shock them. Didn't take more than once or twice for them to figure out they needed to stay 12.1 inches away from the fence.

Gotcha, probably looking more towards some type of barrier. Our backyard is a decent size and it would be difficult to run the wire for an “e-fence”.

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Our old dog was a digger. The inside of my privacy fence is completely lined with pavers, rocks, and cinder blocks, in some places even below ground. I'm not sure if we finally blocked all of her routes or she just got old enough that she couldn't be bothered anymore, but it took years to get it perfected. It was kind of nice that it was pre-fortified when we brought the new puppy home, but he's already shown signs of undertaking his own quality control on my structure.

Posts: 8592 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Maybe pound some stakes/rebar a couple feet deep in the affected areas and line the bottom gap with bricks.

Plant some citronella or other stinky plants dogs hate if they want to insist on digging there.

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Much appreciated guys.. y’all have got me thinking.

Picture of armme
posted Hide Post
Railroad ties.

Posts: 259 | Location: NC | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Electric fence might work too, wouldn’t have to have it hot once it learned

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6325 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I used pressure treated 4×6s cut to length between the fence posts.

Posts: 10971 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t use pressure treated lumber due to the chemicals in it and the same for railroad ties which have creosote, which burns skin.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of armme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
I wouldn’t use pressure treated lumber due to the chemicals in it and the same for railroad ties which have creosote, which burns skin.

Wood fence. Likely pressure treated.

I used railroad ties for this purpose, dogs have no interest in them (probably because of the chemicals).

No skin has ever been burned by railroad ties in my backyard.

YMMV

Posts: 259 | Location: NC | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Probably just some chicken wire, our Frenchy doesn't dig at all

Posts: 5334 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Did large bricks that I had as extras lying around for my Sheltie when he was a 5 pound 8 week old puppy. worked perfectly. Now he's a 30 pound a$$hole but he never got out.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Good ideas guys, thanks again. been out of pocket.. sorry

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Probably just some chicken wire, our Frenchy doesn't dig at all

I went the chicken wire route. I wish I hadn't. If there is moisture in the soil, the wire will rust and disintegrate. If it ever surfaces, you may get it tangled in your lawn mower blades like I did. I was snipping the wires for days.

Posts: 670 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If it hasn’t had all of the shots yet check with your vet to make sure it’s safe.
I think parvovirus is in the soil from other animals.

Posts: 9524 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with buried cinder blocks. They do settle, so leave an inch or two above ground, overlapping the bottom of the fence. Even bigger dogs will get frustrated and look for other ways out, hehe. You can use flats instead of the full-blocks for smaller dogs but you end up doing a similar amount of digging.

Posts: 5147 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post

Posts: 250 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyanide357:
Dog Dig defense barriers

Thanks for that