SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Let's talk about condiments
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's talk about condiments Login/Join 
posted
condiments the sauces, sprinkles and crunch, that brings life to your food.

Salt, pepper, ketchup, pickles. And other assorted toppers.

I love salt and pepper, and pickles are my second food group, I love a good zesty garlic dill pickle.

I have favorites in most condiments, and others not as picky.

I prefer Hunts organic ketchup or Red Gold over Heinz.

I prefer Plochman's mustard over most others with Grey Poupon being a exception to that.

Hot sauces, man, I have so many favorites, depending on the food I'm eating is dependent on which one I reach for.

Duke's mayonnaise is the one you'll find in my fridge, and Kewpie will be right next to it.

I love tartar sauce on my hamburger, but I'm not that picky about it, there are some favorites, but any good tartar sauce will do.

I'm fairly normal with what condiments I put on my food, for the most part, one thing that I do, that some people find odd is I'll add a little mustard and mayo and if available BBQ sauce to my ketchup to dip my french fries in, and sometimes top my hamburger with.

Of course I eat dill pickles with a lot of things, but a bread and butter pickle is a good addition. Not much on sweet pickles though. A nice Chow Chow in a soup, or on top of a hot dog, or Purnell's Brats is awesome along with a little of Plochman's spicey brown mustard.

What are some of your favorites, and do you add a condiment to you food that people think is weird?

Yesterday I was on a field trip, and I ate lunch with a driver from another school district/county. He got a hot dog and he put ketchup on his hot dog and mustard on his french fries. Which I thought was odd. He had an accent, but I couldn't place it.

So let's hear what we like, and if it's not the norm like above, how did it come about?

ARman

Posts: 3157 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
The creamy cilantro sauce from El Pollo Loco is fantastic and I’ll go there just to buy some of that to use on food I cook at home.

There is something special about the “campfire sauce” at Red Robin. The one they sell in stores is NOT the same.

And I love a nice creamy chipotle sauce. So tasty.

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
For some meals the condiments make the meal.

I love some Polynesian sauce from Chik-Fil-A. A good honey mustard is a favorite. I also love black pepper….really love it. Ranch for a dipping sauce is also a go-to. I try to keep an eye on the calories of condiments because some can be really high. I also like salt but don’t add it to a lot of foods.

My wife doesn’t use condiments. I don’t know how or why. She’ll eat a grilled chicken breast plain. I have to have some good bbq sauce to dip it in.

Mustard- it is awful. It’s probably the food item that I hate the most. Even honey mustard that has too much of a mustard taste is awful.

Posts: 1519 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Saw the thread title and started laughing as it brought back a funny memory.

I was in Millington TN over 40 years back and a couple of my enlisted troops were going to get married. They wanted to have an off duty picnic with their mates in the Department. It was going to be a pot luck with everyone bringing something. When it got to me (Department Head) I offered several things but they said they would be duplicates. Finally I asked the female bride to be if anyone were bringing a wide range of condiments. She turned red and said no and abruptly left my office. A short while later her fiancé knocked on my door and told me I had apparently upset his lady. Puzzled I inquired further. Well it seems she was unfamiliar with the term condiments and had thought I'd offered Condoms and Mints. I about fell off my chair. Once explained he and I had a very good laugh.

Back on topic we have a huge assortment of condiments here ranging from Blue Plate mayo, Hunts natural no HFCS ketchup, variety of mustards (domestic and foreign), tarter sauce, every imaginable salad dressing (retail or home-made), to various oriental sauces. I'm sure I've left several categories out.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I make a lot of my own condiments: ketchup, pickle relish, Dijon mustard, bread & butter pickles, Thousand Island dressing, honey-mustard dressing and a honey-Dijon dressing.

Mayo? I pretty much stick with Dukes.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
  • Duke's Mayo
  • French's mustard
  • Usually some fancy mustard (e.g. horseradish mustard, beer mustard, etc). This is the one category where I get raised eyebrows.
  • HEB organics ketchup (no HFCS)
  • Various forms of dill pickles (baby, hamburger slices, etc)
  • Cholula
  • Four Escobars Honey BBQ Sauce. This stuff is amazing on pork. It is made in Texas and distributed by HEB.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Hillbilly Wannabe
    posted Hide Post
    I like a good creamy horseradish sauce , especially on a roast beef sandwich. Woebel's sandwich pal is pretty good. Also a spicy cocktail sauce for shrimp, crab, other seafood made with grated horseradish.

Dark brown mustard for brats and wieners.

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    Trojan has consistent QC

Posts: 107742 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    always with a hat or sunscreen
    Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum:
    Trojan has consistent QC

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
    USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Staring back
    from the abyss
    Picture of Gustofer
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 229DAK:
    I make a lot of my own condiments: ketchup, pickle relish, Dijon mustard, bread & butter pickles, Thousand Island dressing, honey-mustard dressing and a honey-Dijon dressing.

Would you mind sharing your Dijon recipe? I tried making Chef John's recipe awhile back and I didn't care for it...at all.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Partial dichotomy
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bald1:
    quote:
    Trojan has consistent QC

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Yep! Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
    Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38723 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 229DAK:

Mayo? I pretty much stick with Dukes.

While impossible to always do, I agree that making it your self is the best.
    More work but better flavor.

I only make my own bacon (I know, not a condiment) and pickles.
    Dressings for salad almost always, home-made mayo is quite easy and tastes much better than even quality ones like Dukes, Kewpie, etc or at least tastes fresher.
    Never made ketchup yet though.
    Of course home made- pizza sauce or pasta sauce is a must.

A big roll-your-own fan. Smile

Posts: 22947 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get Off My Lawn
    Picture of oddball
    posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Don't have a lot to contribute here, but I remember from my younger days that they are ribbed "for her pleasure".

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bookers Bourbon
    and a good cigar
    Picture of Johnny 3eagles
    posted Hide Post
    French's or Guldens Spicy brown mustard.
    Duke's mayo (excellent on French Fries)
    Arby's Horsey Sauce

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
    Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
    You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Vote the
    BASTIDS OUT!
    Picture of yanici
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Trojan has consistent QC

Good one! That reminds me about the time when my wife was helping to run a Cub Scout dinner at a local school. It was just hot dogs and something else. As she was making up the dogs and handing them to the boys she was reminding them that, "you can get your condoms right over there." She didn't realize her slip of the tongue 'til another den mother clued her in. It was pretty funny and the kids never batted aneye.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2411 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of 229DAK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Would you mind sharing your Dijon recipe?
    Check your e-mail.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Animis Opibusque Parati
    posted Hide Post
    Green Mountain Gringo hot sauce. My favorite on any Tex-Mex dish I throw together. When I am not using that, Texas Pete goes on most of the other dishes. The vinegar twang highlights most vegetables and is great on pizza! For the “odd” side of the discussion, any dish with pasta and / or chicken will get a healthy dash of Texas Pete. It was good enough for my grandfather during my younger years, I guess it’s a family tradition.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by straightshooter01:
    Don't have a lot to contribute here, but I remember from my younger days that they are ribbed "for her pleasure".
    If you need a ribbed condom to please your woman, you might as well just hang up your spurs.

Posts: 107742 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Optimistic Cynic
    Picture of architect
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by straightshooter01:
    you might as well just hang up your spurs.
    My woman is not (quite) that tough!

Posts: 6511 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post