New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kidney Stones Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
3.5 mm kidney stone. hit me at 8pm...hard.

Wife rushed me to ER and it hurt so bad I threw up - multiple times.

10 in the pain scale for about 3 hours ... 3 shots of die-lot-Ed and of toradal finially got me down to about a 4.

Fuck me did that hurt.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12349 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a blood clot in my kidney 8 years ago. Pain when it tried to pass did the same to me. Doubled over in pain, immediate vomiting...not fun at all. Hope it passes uneventfully and you don’t have any more.

Posts: 2159 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I had several kidney stones in the early 90's.
Basket retrievals, several IVP contrast x-ray procedures (always gave me the shakes and chills), 2 rounds of Lithotripsy, stint removal (doctor sticking an 1/8" hollow rod into my penis with no anesthesia and fishing the stint out of my bladder, some I pulled out myself with an attached suture), none of it fun.

My last kidney MRI 20 years ago read I have a 6mm stone in my right kidney and several smaller stones in both.
As long as none of them move, they won't treat it.

I'll occasionally tell/warn my current wife (of 11 years) that I'm having that pain in my lower back, the aching balls, and don't be surprised if I'm rolling on the floor in pain without notice.
Then a couple days later I'll have a burning piss in which I'm passing a small stone.
I actually heard one hit the urinal in a standing piss at a movie theater.

I've passed small stones 3 times in the last 10 years.

Hope you get better soon....

Posts: 4370 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm awake in the hospital now, had two stones removed 11 hours ago. I guess it's better when they are too large to pass and you get to sleep thru the process.
I never had a stone until I was 70, today makes the 3rd time in 5 years I have had stones removed.

Posts: 798 | Location: Katy, TX | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I’ve had several. They suck but they don’t put me down like they used to. I guess a man can get used to just about anything.
Here’s hoping this is your only experience with them.

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
I’ve only had the one. Didn’t know pain like that existed prior to the event. How people made it through before painkillers I can’t imagine. Copious amounts of alcohol I suppose, if you had access.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Its been over a decade or so since I had one. It passed during imaging, so the procedure was more painful than the stone. My wife on the other hand, her stone too passed during imaging, but she was almost incoherent with pain. Her Doctor said female patients who had natural child birth report less pain.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
That sucks. Hope it passes and you feel better soon.

I've passed a few. The last one was about 5mm - hurt like a sumbitch and nearly passed out when it passed. Thankfully haven't had any for a few years.

And thanks for the reminder to drink more water.

Posts: 1806 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Done 11 or 12,mostly on my left side. When I pee coke I know it's coming. The anticipation makes me nauseous.

Posts: 2310 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I gave the two I had a 9 on the pain scale, since I was still standing and able to very deliberately force words out of my mouth. I figured a 10 would have me curled up in a ball in the floor unable to communicate.

The doctor recommended drinking beer to help with the pain and help pass the stone as well.

Posts: 11009 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I can almost feel your pain Ronin and others posting. It reminds me of the movie "Heaven is for Real" when Greg Kinnear (Todd Burpo) was in the upstair bathroom screaming as he was passing stones Eek

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. Been there, done that. The pain is immense. Hopefully you can take something or change your diet to prevent future occurrences.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10911 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mossyoak1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
Done 11 or 12,mostly on my left side. When I pee coke I know it's coming. The anticipation makes me nauseous.

I hate to say this, but I'm glad I'm not the only one whose has had 10+ in my life. The pain is horrible, the last one I had I was literally on the ground begging god to take my life (that one also happened to be the biggest). Tylenol 3 with codine was the cure to deal with the pain, 2 every hour. Just drink more and more even though you don't feel anything, just keep flushing the kidneys.

“When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 471 | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I gave the two I had a 9 on the pain scale, since I was still standing and able to very deliberately force words out of my mouth. I figured a 10 would have me curled up in a ball in the floor unable to communicate.

The doctor recommended drinking beer to help with the pain and help pass the stone as well.

Based on your description, I was a 10.

LOL

Got home around 1am; just getting up now. I'm sure I was a sight to be seen in the waiting room- hurt so bad.

Better today, not sure if I passed or not yet.

Rest and recovery on the docket today. Pain is exhausting! LOL

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12349 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
My dad gets them and agrees they will flat put you down. One was so big the ER had to lube its exit and manually manipulate it out.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had two, one in each kidney that were over 10 cm. Ended up being a two year ordeal with the left one finally being removed through my back.

I now drink water with crystal lite lemonade in it. It contains the same chemical that is used in a prescription drug to prevent calcium stones.

https://www.uwhealth.org/files/uwhealth/docs/pdf/nutrition_kidney_stones.pdf

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mas4363,

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Worst pain ever. Kidney stone is what everything else is measured against. I had a 6mm one shaped like a bean and a sand spur mixed. I’ve had sever others but none that bad.

Hydrate my friend, hydrate.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11303 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
You know though I've never had any stones, in the 8th grade while playing baseball, I was playing shortstop when I was run down in the baseline as I reached out to snag a ball thrown in from the outfield. As I did the large runner ran me down jamming his knee into my back. Long story short, by the time I was brought in from the field to the office and sent to the hospital, I was vomiting blood and couldn't breathe. They quickly determined either I have the right kidney removed or die.

No decision at all. I've lived with just the one left for almost 60yrs now, but I remember how bad that pain was. I can't image having kidney stones with just the one remaining, thats what scares me when I hear your descriptions and I hope I never do but, it's always in the back of my mind, especially hearing your stories. That hurt an awful lot when I was a kid..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Twenty-five years between #1 and #2; now I know I’m growing a couple little tykes on the left side. Even after all I’ve suffered from them I don’t drink enough water.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've upped my daily water intake by double; various friends compared grotesque descriptions of the event.

So far I think the front runner is "broken glass wrapped in barbed wire".

Now into the 2nd month post lithotripsy; heed well what your kidney doc tells you to do.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post