SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tacoma Tonneau Cover Suggestions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tacoma Tonneau Cover Suggestions Login/Join 
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted
I've been thinking about getting a new truck and I'm wondering if the membership have any tonneau cover suggestions for the Tacoma. I'm looking at the Access Cab version with the full size 6 foot bed. I don't really care for cover models that roll/slide or have snaps. I also made the mistake of getting the single hard shell cover on my last truck, which is great until you actually have to use it for something that is taller than the bed side. I do like the idea of the tri-fold covers, but there seem to be a lot of models out there. So I'm looking for any useful suggestions from current or past Tacoma owners to help narrow down the brands/models of the folding type covers.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 578 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I'm having a bakflip fibermax installed Monday on my Tundra. I'll let you know what I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
I know you said not to fond of hard type. but, I do have an Undercover on a F250. if I have an item taller than the bed this is what I have done a few times. take the cover off and stand it on end, the long end, and cover the edge sitting on bed with foam pipe wrap. the one with the slit down it. just open it up and slide the top in it to protect the edge. those tops are pretty light. on a Tacoma one could easily handle it themselves.

I have had both soft and hard covers. had a folding soft one also, it always leaked. I like the Undercover do to its lite weight and ability to lock. but if you don't like them then you don't like them.

the roll up are nice but everyone i have known that has or had one doesn't like the way the container that the top rolls into ends up holding water and debris. so over time they seem to not work as well.

and if your looking to save some money, look on craigslist. i found mine for $200 like new and they sell new for $800. my BIL got his for $100, it was $400 new, like new also on craigslist. its one of those items that sells high new but looses a butt load of value used, no matter the condition. good luck.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Have had the Undercover Classic on my F150 since 2009. Has never leaked, light, easy and quick to remove when needed. Would definitely recommend it.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I had an Access cover on my F-150. Had it for 5 years or so and have no problems. I kept some 303 on it to preserve and keep a shine.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Truxedo Lo Pro Is what I put on my truck ~ great cover but it does roll ~ sorry.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Truxedo Lo Pro Is what I put on my truck ~ great cover but it does roll ~ sorry.

Truxedo lo pro. Put on all my trucks. Very versatile and durable.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
I have a tri-fold on mine made by American Tonneau, not sure on the model. It is going on four years old. Still looks good and works great. Easy to put on and off alone. I ordered it on the net.

phil

Posts: 2384 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I have a Bak Flip G2 on my Tundra. Four section folder, tucks right up against the back of the cab, blocks maybe 1" of the very front of the bed.

3 years old and flawless.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Bakflip HD on my Sierra. Have had it on for nearly four years and it's still great.

I particularly like how it works as a headache rack when open- I've bounced logs off mine when tossing them in to take them away and it has kept the window from being smashed many, many times.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I have a Bak Flip G2 on my Tundra. Four section folder, tucks right up against the back of the cab, blocks maybe 1" of the very front of the bed.

That's the one I've been thinking about getting, but I thought I'd see what others might suggest. It can't hurt to get other opinions.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 578 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
I have the soft Tri fold cover, 7 years now, works great. Water proof as long as its installed correctly and as long as you put it back on right if you ever remove it, removal is easy, takes 2 minutes. Made in the USA and priced better than the rest. http://www.americantonneaucomp...content/applications

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
The first thing I did when I got my new 2008 Honda Ridgeline was install a BakFlip. Still works and looks new and I've been well satisfied.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Planning on putting a Bak MX4 on my F150 when funds allow.
Coworker just put a Bak G2 on her Silverado.

Both options allow for full use of the bed, as they 'kickstand' against the back window/back of cab.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a cover by Rugged Liner on my GMC Sierra and really like it.

http://ruggedliner.com/tonneau-covers/

The story I like to tell about it. I got it with the truck when I bought it used and some of the hardware on it was broken. So I went to their webpage and found the parts list, figured out what I needed and called them up. I went through the list with the gentlemen and told him how much I needed of what. When we finished I asked what my total was and he responded "free"! He told me all hardware is guaranteed for life no matter the owner or cause. Only thing they don't replace is the cover itself.

Now for the caveats. It's not a perfectly waterproof cover. In heavy rains a little water comes in toward the back and a little on the sides. For what I use it for that is fine though.

I really like how quickly and easily it goes on and off and folds into a third and secures that way. It uses cam locking levers to hold it down in the four corners and when its folded up it has two quick clips to keep it that way. Its stupid simple and that's the way I like it as it seems I'm always taking it on and off and folding and unfolding based on what I'm hauling.

Oh I also found out when I called to order the parts that its made right here in Michigan.

**Edit** Looking at their website it looks like they have some other models that may secure a bit better and be truly waterproof. I have the "premium vinyl folding rugged cover" and it just doesn't snug down tight enough to be waterproof with only the four locking points.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a BakFlip Fibremax and like it. Very convenient to use. You will have to lift up the last panel of the bakflip every time you close the tailgate. if you don't, you will damage the rubber seal on it. Not a deal breaker, just something you will have to get used to.

Water resistance is very good. I might get a little water in after going thru a carwash, but I wouldn't worry about going thru a carwash with my suitcase in the back. I did put an extra seal around the tailgate which helps

Had a problem with it in the first month and dealer put a new one in. Since then, no issues.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
I also have the BakFlip - 5 years and no issues - works great!

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3923 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SkyOtter
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's what I had on my Tacoma. Worked like a charm. I've replaced it with a camper top, more useful & secure for what I used the vehicle for.

------------------------------------------------------
There are two types of people in this world: Those who need closure,

Posts: 2561 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: June 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I went with the Bak Flip G2 as well on my new F150. I love it.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
If you need something that is absolutely waterproof for transporting things that cannot get wet, undercover is the only answer. Downside is it severely limits your storage capacity.

If there is a folding type cover that won't leak in a driving rainstorm at 70 MPH for 3 hours I will gladly get one.

I travel out of state to my property often with firearms, power tools and clothing so the undercover is the only answer for now.

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post