SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Silicon Valley Bank is shut down by regulators in biggest bank failure since global financial crisis
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silicon Valley Bank is shut down by regulators in biggest bank failure since global financial crisis Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
They have just bailed out the big money libs. They do not give a shit about and would not lift a finger to help out depositors in a small regional bank that may have farmers and whatnot with account balances exceeding $250,000. But, that is not who SVB catered to. They catered to the extremely wealthy and woke types that align with this administration on everything.

The fact that some regular Americans may also be saved by their actions here is just an unfortunate coincidence.

Believe me, we are going to pay for this. Printing money to recover the losses simply devalues everyone's money. No big deal if you are a big money elite or company... but for us regular Joe's, this is going to hurt in the long run, just like all of the other spending president 2-scopes and his cronies are up to.

God, I am so pissed right now.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I guess the Dodd-Frank law is like all the other laws they choose to ignore. Such as the immigration laws.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

In a joint statement, the heads of the Federal Reserve, Treasury Department, and FDIC said: "After receiving a recommendation from the boards of the FDIC and the Federal Reserve, and consulting with the President, Secretary Yellen approved actions enabling the FDIC to complete its resolution of Silicon Valley Bank, Santa Clara, California, in a manner that fully protects all depositors. Depositors will have access to all of their money starting Monday, March 13. No losses associated with the resolution of Silicon Valley Bank will be borne by the taxpayer ."

Wait, so are you telling me they're lying right to our faces? Say it ain't so.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Comment from the front page of Instapundit, use it as an example of corruptocrats, ie. DemoKKKrats.

quote:
The government spent all weekend so they could bail out rich politically connected investors. Compare this to East Palestine Ohio where it took the government 3 weeks to even pretend to give a damn. Seriously the government worked over a weekend to just help out rich tech investors. Contrast that with 3 weeks before the feds did anything to even pretend to help out a community dealing with a massive chemical spill.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not surprised...while she's not the sole reason for the bank's collapse, it does beg the question of where the priorities were when responsibility was to clients and investors. If anything, for those corporations and financial institutions who are pursuing a ESG-led compass heading, this situation should serve as a warning about 'woke capitalism'....looking at you Black Rock and State Street.

SVB had NO head of 'risk assessment' for nine months before it collapsed... as woke boss for Europe, Middle East and Africa was busy organizing a month-long Pride campaign and a 'Lesbian Visibility Day'
quote:

* The collapsed Silicon Valley Bank had no risk assessment head for nine months
* The bank's previous head left in April 2022, her replacement wasn't named until January
* While the bank's European risk officer is accused of being more focused on diversity efforts

Collapsed lender Silicon Valley Bank operated without a chief risk officer between April 2022 and January 2023 while the operation's United Kingdom-based Head of Risk stands accused of prioritizing pro-diversity initiatives over her actual role.

This revelation comes after the firm became the largest bank to collapse since the 2008 financial crisis - disclosing a $1.8 billion loss in its finances.

SVB's former head of risk, Laura Izurieta, who formerly performed a similar role for Capital One, left the bank in April 2022. She wasn't replaced until January 2023 when the bank hired Kim Olson, formerly of Japanese bank Sumitomo Mitsui.

The bank announced Olson's hiring in January with a press release saying she brought 'thirty years of financial services experience.'

'SVB has an impressive track record of sound growth and remaining true to its strategy of serving the innovation economy. I am excited to lead SVB’s outstanding risk management team and continue to build SVB’s risk management framework and capabilities in this important next chapter of the firm’s trajectory,' Olson said at the time.

The bank's CEO Greg Becker credited Olson's 'deep and multi-faceted financial services experience as a senior risk leader and former regulator and bank supervisor positions her perfectly to actively manage SVB’s financial and non-financial risks.'

The bank's website says that the CRO at the bank reports to a seven-person committee made up of board members and the CEO.

Meanwhile, Jay Ersapah, who acts as CRO for the bank in Europe, Africa and the Middle East and who describes herself as a 'queer person of color from a working-class background' - organized a host of LGBTQ initiatives including a month-long Pride campaign and implemented 'safe space' catch-ups for staff.
In a corporate video published just nine months ago, she said she 'could not be prouder' to work for SVB serving 'underrepresented entrepreneurs.'

Professional network Outstanding listed Ersapah as a top 100 LGTBQ Future Leader.

'Jay is a leading figure for the bank’s awareness activities including being a panelist at the SVB’s Global Pride townhall to share her experiences as a lesbian of color, moderating SVB’s EMEA Pride townhall and was instrumental in initiating the organization's first ever global "safe space catch-up", supporting employees in sharing their experiences of coming out,' her bio on the Outstanding website states.

It adds that she is 'allies' with gay rights charity Stonewall and had authored numerous articles to promote LGBTQ awareness.

These included 'Lesbian Visibility Day and Trans Awareness week.'

Separately she was also praised in a Facebook post by the group 'Diversity Role Models,' a charity which campaigns against homophobic, biphobic and transphobic bullying in UK schools.

In a corporate document for the bank she said: '"You can't be what you can't see" has always been a quote that stuck with me.

'As a queer person of color and a first generation immigrant from a working class background, there were not many role models for me to 'see' growing up.

'I feel privileged to help spread awareness of lived queer experiences, partner with charitable organizations, and above all create a sense of community for our LGBTQ+ employees and allies.'

Ersapah hails from the UK where she studied an undergraduate Economics degree at the University of Warwick.

She has worked for several high-profile names in the finance sector including Citi, Barclays and consultancy firm Deloitte, according to her Linkedin profile.

She describes herself as having 'proven competency in demanding roles.'

Her profile also boasts of her 'interpersonal skills,' 'growth mindset' and ability to lead 'high-performing teams.'

Last year she featured in a corporate SVB video which purported its pro-LGBTQ credentials.

'We proactively make it our mission at SVB to ensure that our clients, employees and partners feel listened to and that their voices matter.

'From funding underrepresented entrepreneurs to having multiple employee resource groups, I could not be prouder of working for a company like SVB.'

This weekend critics hit out as Ersapah's apparent preoccupation with LGBTQ issues.

One Facebook user, Paul Tucker, wrote: 'The [SVB] Board of Directors is filled with diversity hires who are there because of their woke credentials.

'They all have pronouns in their bios, which are filled with corporate newspeak.

'The Head of Financial Risk and Model Risk Management was this nutbag: Jay Ersapah.

'This is what happens when you allow people to manage your money based on woke principles instead of on their actual skill and competence.

'I hope the depositors at this failed bank enjoy all of that diversity, because diversity is your strength, eh?'

He signed off the post: 'Get woke, go broke.'

Another Twitter user said: 'Head of Financial Risk at SVB Jay Ersapah might’ve been busy with more important projects at the bank, such as LGBTQ issues, rather than assessing risk.'

Panic rocked the financial sector Friday after the sudden collapse of SVB.

The bank was sensationally shut down by the California Department of Financial Protection and Innovation which placed its remaining assets under the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation's control.

The crisis was sparked after it disclosed a $1.8 billion loss on its bold holdings this week.

CEO Greg Becker had urged investors on a Thursday conference call to 'stay calm' and not 'panic.'

But it caused jittery clients to withdraw large balances to avoid any losses.

Deposits up to $250,000 are protected by federal law - but anyone with larger sums tied up now faces loses their money.

Dozens of customers were yesterday filmed lining up outside a branch to withdraw whatever cash they had to get out ahead of the fall-out.

Meanwhile police were called to the bank's headquarters after a group of disgruntled tech founders turned up on the doorstep.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
What a shit show. The only way I can make this even halfway rational is that .gov sees the failure of this financial shell game as a catastrophe of monumental proportions, which it could well be since nothing else is working and even FJB's handlers are getting nervous.

If they are panicked about a financial panic, which is not impossible at this point, they might figure screw it-pay everybody off. The rubes don't care and nobody knows that it's against the law anyway. So they kick the can down the road until somebody, somewhere raises screaming hell about .gov charging taxpayers for this scheme. Then they fire two white straight guys from the Fed and they're good.

When the next bank goes it will demand the same treatment.

Just fuck.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wishfull thinker:

When the next bank goes it will demand the same treatment. [QUOTE]

Next bank went down yesterday afternoon. Signature Bank the 3rd largest bank failure in US history.

Edited to add First Republic Bank will probably be gone by lunchtime.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2180 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Okay I get the part about not bailing out accounts with more than $250,000 in them, everyone should be covered and made whole. I remember when it was less than half that several years ago and the goverment doubled it during the last crises to keep a run on the banks from happening.

My question is what happens to the companies that have to use a bank to make deposits to operate?
Things like having the ability to make payroll, pay bills and so on. How do companies protect their deposits?

What happens if a small multi million dollar company all of a sudden, through no fault of their own, wakes up one morning and finds out their money is gone, less the $250,00.

Does this mean the company that can no longer access their money goes out of business right their?
I know companies can spread their money around to different banks but for some this is impractical.

I do not think the goverment should be using our tax dollars to bail out business that made bad decisions, they have in the past remember "to big to fail" however what are the smaller business suppose to do?

Remember I am talking about small business that have done everything right, put their money that is more than $250,000 in the bank so they could operate their business, wake up one morning to find out it is all gone. Is their a way for them to protect them self from this happening?

Do people have to start to become concerned if the company they are working for,once again through no fault of the companies actions are going to be able to get paid their money owed to them?

I am not defending the actions of anyone I am just trying to understand how this could happen after the last crises and all the regulation that were put in place to keep this from happening again.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by southernmaninla:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wishfull thinker:

Edited to add First Republic Bank will probably be gone by lunchtime.

Rhut Rhro.

ETA: it freaks me out when, after reading news like that which I quoted, I cannot get on any news related site, I.e., Fox, CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, Twitter.

ETA 2: Good Ol’ Pedo Joe addresses the nation on banking crisis:
quote:
How to watch President Biden's remarks

What: President Biden delivers remarks on "maintaining a resilient banking system and protecting our historic economic recovery."
When: Monday, March 13
Time: 9 a.m. ET

Anybody want to give odds his remarks crash the world economy by 9:30?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anybody want to give odds his remarks crash the world economy by 9:30?

I dunno... but some think it will lead to CBDC's:

Once the economy has melted down, CBDC's will be proffered as the ONLY way we can get "back to normal"—a "cure" that will turn out to be as catastrophic, in their way, as those "vaccines"

by Mark Crispin Miller

With two major US banks going under this past week, it’s more than likely that the Next Big Thing, deployed to change the subject (from the ever-growing toll of “vaccination,” the truth about “January 6,” and other inconvenient measures of reality), is going to be that economic crash which has been hurtling toward us ever since the last one 15 years ago—a catastrophic prospect that “our free press” often has discussed, and with all due solemnity.

And it’s just as likely that that global crisis will, eventually or soon, be used to push, as its “solution,” and, therefore, our salvation, central bank digital currencies, a/k/a CBDC’s—a “cure” that will be just as deadly, in its way, as those “vaccines” that were (and still are!) pitched as our only hope; for such currency will not be yours to spend as you see fit, but only on those things “your” government allows, and only if the state has not declared you a “domestic terrorist” or spreader of “hate speech” and/or “misinformation.” Thus CBDC’s will be used to shut down all and any dissidence, as Trudeau did to the truckers in Canada, and as is increasingly the case in China.

https://markcrispinmiller.subs...rue&utm_medium=email

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if my payroll department will pay me in gold and silver.

Posts: 658 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has been going on for a while now. The US has sent billions of dollars to two Swiss banks over the last couple of months. This is a world wide problem that is just in the beginning stages it appears.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
OK. Everybody relax. Joe was just on the TV & he has it under control.

“You can have confidence that the banking system is safe," Biden said. "Your deposits will be there when you need them.”

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
OK. Everybody relax. Joe was just on the TV & he has it under control.

Yup. No worries. We're in good, competent hands, fellas. Biden has rescued us from disaster.

Biden Claims His ‘Quick Action’ Saved Banking Industry, Blames Trump For Banks Collapsing

President Joe Biden patted himself on the back Monday morning as multiple banks have collapsed in recent days, claiming that the “quick action” of his administration has stabilized the banking industry.

“Your deposits will be there when you need them. Small businesses across the country that deposit accounts at these banks can breathe easier knowing they’ll be able to pay their workers and pay their bills,” Biden said. “And their hardworking employees can breathe easier as well.”

Biden said he was focused on reducing the risk of other financial institutions collapsing. “During the Obama-Biden administration, we put in place tough requirements on banks like Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank, including the Dodd-Frank law to make sure the crisis we saw in 2008 would not happen again,” he said. “Unfortunately, the last administration rolled back some of these requirements.”

Biden’s remarks come after the Silicon Valley Bank announced a $1.75 billion share sale on Wednesday after the financial institution suffered heavy losses from the liquidation of a $21 billion bond portfolio, raising concerns among venture capital firms and startups with ties to the company about the safety of their assets. SVB, the 16th-largest bank in the United States and the largest in California’s Silicon Valley, lends to nearly half of the venture-backed technology and healthcare companies.

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) said on Friday that SVB was closed by the California Department of Financial Protection and Innovation.

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen, Federal Reserve Board Chair Jerome H. Powell, and FDIC Chairman Martin J. Gruenberg announced in a statement on Sunday that a second bank was closed in New York on Sunday by state officials.

“We are also announcing a similar systemic risk exception for Signature Bank, New York, New York, which was closed today by its state chartering authority,” the statement said. “All depositors of this institution will be made whole. As with the resolution of Silicon Valley Bank, no losses will be borne by the taxpayer.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news...for-banks-collapsing

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait for it. Cramer will advise to invest in Regional Banks this morning from his studio at the New York Stock Exchange.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Debt is always paid by someone. If not the original debtor then someone else bears the burden.

No matter how it is structured, this bailout will be paid by the public.

Posts: 9436 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Debt is always paid by someone. If not the original debtor then someone else bears the burden.
No matter how it is structured, this bailout will be paid by the public.

Right... and what most people don't understand is that governments and societies have been destroyed by debt.
When the profits are private but the risks are socialized, there is no incentive to avoid risk.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I dunno... but some think it will lead to CBDC's:

This is something we should all be very concerned about.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
How'd you like to have this guy's resume... C-suite executive to two failed banks, back-to-back.

Former CFO at Lehman Brothers, then left Lehman just prior to their 2008 collapse to become CAO to SVB, which has now itself collapsed.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post