SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Supply Chain Mess Really Starting To Hit Us At Work
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Supply Chain Mess Really Starting To Hit Us At Work Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I work with IP security cameras and AXIS brand specifically and this supply chain mess is really starting to affect us. I'm still waiting on cameras that were ordered back in October 2021 and my vendor is tired of me asking where they are. Right now they can't even offer me substitutions as THEY too are not available. It's beginning to affect project schedules which is bad because we have to have the money allocated and spent by a certain date or we will lose it.

This is not good. Confused

Are you guys starting to see this?

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Been dealing with it for some time now.

We have things ordered that we need right now that are estimated to be available a year out.

Guess this is what happens when you shut the world down for a cold.

I feel this is only the beginning of the pain.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has a brother that installs/repairs garage doors. He can't get the needed parts. It has forced him to lay off workers.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4833 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
It doesn't appear to be getting any better. I have many, many components that have doubled in price and electrical parts that are just plain unavailable. I don't think folks have learned a thing either...most could still be scared into similar nonsense if the words 'health' and 'safety' are used enough.

Posts: 1972 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I have an open order for stainless tubing normal delivery is about 6-8 weeks.

This order delivery quoted JANUARY 2023!!!

Sheets of silicone insulation, nearly as bad.

We have bunches of other line items with loooong delivery dates as well as many "no-quotes." Many of these are industry-specific specialty items with little to no recourse for substitution.

I'm not too sure we can survive at the level we've enjoyed since the 1980's.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5483 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I was surprised to see the cost of electrical wiring. Couple days ago I was chatting with my neighbor who owns an electrical company and he said the increased cost is not because of the copper but rather the insulation outside coating ... that wire making companys can not get supplies of.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
I was surprised to see the cost of electrical wiring. Couple days ago I was chatting with my neighbor who owns an electrical company and he said the increased cost is not because of the copper but rather the insulation outside coating ... that wire making companys can not get supplies of.

It's the copper too that is skyrocketing.

I paid $152 for a 250 foot roll of 12/2 Romex at Lowes in late February.

It's now $165 Frown

I'm told that MAY have cost $50 2-3 years ago

It's going to get to the point where it will be too expensive to wire or rewire a house with copper, you watch there will be a push to go back to aluminum wiring for residential.

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Been waiting eight weeks now for a replacement [work] laptop.

Used to be a two week lead-time now the lead-time is open ended

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The big takeaway we need to learn from this is: STOP relying on cheap Chinese shit from overseas.

Bring manufacturing back to our country. Hell, I'd rather we deal with Mexico or south America than China.

Posts: 13130 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
There's a giant list of things we can't get through normal channels or at 10x or more lead time. We had a breaker fail yesterday. Normally can get within a day or overnight it if not available local. Have not been provided a ETA yet over 24hrs later. I work in a mission critical cost is not a concern only speed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
Yep. We have two choices: 1) wait for China to open back up and keep paying china prices for manufactured goods, or start paying American labor prices for manufactured goods. Unfortunately, bringing American manufacturing back on line is going to take several years, and we will need to be willing to keep paying more several years from now when Supply chains are working again and cheap Chinese goods are pouring in again. I’d like to think we can do it, but I’m not placing bets one way or the other.

- Bret

Posts: 2466 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been dealing with shortages and delays since last Spring. Having to explain the dynamics of global supply chains to my dealers wasn't as bad as I expected, most were frustrated but understanding, there was nothing I could do. Then there's the dense handful that are either too obtuse to try to understand or, simply vented and I was the convenient target. All of our competitors are in the same boat so, its not like they can dump one in favor of another.

Posts: 14658 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
It’s hitting biotech particularly hard. All our disposable manufacturing equipment is getting delayed. We are in a constant struggle to get life saving drugs out the door. I’m working on change controls daily to ensure we can use alternate sources or parts.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
We had plans to build a cabin this fall. No way are we embarking on that in this mess.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Variable frequency AC drives.

You can't shop them by brand if you need it in less than 2 weeks, and haven't really been able to for more than 9 months. Choose the horsepower, find anyone that has something in stock, buy it immediately. Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6219 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
On the positive side, last Wednesday, 4/27/22, I finally received my range, fridge and microwave I ordered on 4/23/21.

Posts: 5764 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I ordered some fuel injectors that the vendor said were back ordered. Vendor said due to supply chain issues the parts it will be 2-3 months out.

Just got them 7 months later. I did get an email every 30 days with update and apology.

Global supply isn't working.

Posts: 1570 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
To those of you want to move all of this overseas manufactory issues back to the United States where are you going to get the equipment and supplies to get this accomplished ???? .. If they are having supply issues then how do you expect it not be a problem if we tried to drop them and do it ourselves. .... We did it to ourselves starting many years ago by chosing to get out of the manufactoring of products because the "bean counters" saw that it was cheaper supplies and labor cost and have greater profit margins to move all of these operations to other countries... Now we are caught in the middle of this situation and it ain"t going to be resolved any time soon. ...... drill sgt.

Posts: 2014 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes its killing us in the OEM auto business. And the materials we do have are up in cost by massive amounts, some are up 40 - 50% over a year ago. Profit margins in OEM automotive supply are already razor thin.

Its really a disaster, like nothing I have seen in 30 years in this business. Its not like the market has crashed, there is demand, we just cant supply.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I work with IP security cameras and AXIS brand specifically

I work with ip security cameras as well. I support 900 cameras and 90% of them are Axis.

I have purchase orders in for cameras for 5 new buildings and have no idea when they will be fulfilled.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post