SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    taking supplements...what do you take?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

taking supplements...what do you take? Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Since my heart attack I have been working on being healthier....

I take several meds with a multi vitamin and fich oil daily.

I see/hear all these ads for super foods and other supplements that are supposed to help with everything from blood flow to increases HGH.

now that I am past 45yo I am wondering about supplements that will support working out and healing. I work out 3-4 times a week (weights and rucking 3-5 miles with 25-35 lbs) but have been plagued by a couple minor injuries that limit some of my work outs and am hoping to find something that would help that.

Yes, I stretch and eat my veggies Wink , mostly spinach, peppers, lemon juice and have been limiting my carb intake.

For those that are "middle aged" what do you take?

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I'm 53 and take the following...

Balance of Nature Fruits, Veggies, and Fiber
Mature 50+ Multi Vitamin from Costco
Coromega Big Squeeze Fish Oil with vitamin D3
A tablespoon of quality EVOO daily

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Fish oil. I had elevated Triglycerides at around 53 years old. I'm now 58. The fish oil did the trick.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob RI:
Fish oil. I had elevated Triglycerides at around 53 years old. I'm now 58. The fish oil did the trick.

What kind did you take? I've read that in some forms your body doesn't absorb it and it's a waste.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My doctor has me taking Fiber and Red Yeast Rice supplements, to keep my borderline cholesterol down.

I also drink V8 juice on days when I haven't otherwise eaten enough veggies.

Posts: 32545 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Daily multivitamin and extra: Zinc, Vita D, Vita C.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Men's multi-vitamin. That's it. That already provides 100% of just about everything, so I'm not sure why I would benefit from 10,000%

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
Everyday

1000 mg Vit C
super B complex
5000 Iu Vit D
50 mg Zinc

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:

I can't help but think that there is a level of snake oil with this stuff.

I'm not saying that there is anything bad for you in there. In fact, it's all good stuff...just freeze dried fruits and veggies ground up and packed into capsules.

The issue I have is that I can't imagine that you are getting enough of anything to do you much good, even if taken as directed (six capsules a day at ~$200/month Amazon prices).

I suppose it's not going to hurt anything but your wallet.

ETA: Sorry dewhorse, didn't mean to drift your thread.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post

• CoQ10 (heart health)
  • Vitamin D (Wu Flu prophylactic)
  • Vitamin C (Wu Flu prophylactic)
  • Multi-vitamin
  • Saw Palmetto (prostrate)
  • Turmeric (joints)
  • CBD oil (joints, sleep)
  • Magnesium (charlie horses)

Additionally, when my testosterone dips, I add a supplement called Super Miraforte for three-six months until it's back up where it belongs. The effect usually lasts for two-three years after.

You'll observe that 3-4 of the supplements listed above are herbal remedies for which western medicine usually prescribes sometimes expensive pharmaceuticals that often have side-effects that demand Yet More Pharmaceuticals that, in turn, often have side-effects that demand Yet More Pharmaceuticals that, in turn, often have side-effects that... And this is how people end up with enough prescription drugs on-hand to stock a small pharmacy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take several, all recommended by my doctor and dentist.

Calcium
Magnesium
Vit D

The first two offset the harmful effects of Omeprezol and amlodopine.

Saw Palmetto-replaced a prescription med for prostate

Fish oil-reduced my cholesterol

Vit D-My tests showed it was low, this helped as do frequent walks in the sun.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mens multi-vitamin gummies. Thats it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16116 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Multivitamin
Zinc
Magnesium
B6
D3
Calcium
Fish Oil

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Preservation for early stage AMD and nothing else.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Healthy eating, lots of veggies etc. is #1 and no supplements will replace that.

I almost always am taking vitamin D, a Zinc-magnesium complex and usually a fish oil, occasionally something for joints like glucosamine or collagen.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

I can't help but think that there is a level of snake oil with this stuff.

I'm not saying that there is anything bad for you in there. In fact, it's all good stuff...just freeze dried fruits and veggies ground up and packed into capsules.

The issue I have is that I can't imagine that you are getting enough of anything to do you much good, even if taken as directed (six capsules a day at ~$200/month Amazon prices).

I suppose it's not going to hurt anything but your wallet.

ETA: Sorry dewhorse, didn't mean to drift your thread.

Could be, I have a gal at work that swears by it and claims all kinds of improvements in her health. I'm on my second month.

I do question the claim that six capsules are equal to 10 servings of fruits and veggies. If that is legit I would continue to pay the price for the ease of being able to get that amount of fruits and veggies daily.

Verdict is still out but that's what I'm talking so I listed it.

BTW...I order direct from the company and am only paying half of the price you listed ($109/month which is still a lot).

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
liquid iodine
fish oil
potassium gluconate
iron
Melatonin for sleep

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do question the claim that six capsules are equal to 10 servings of fruits and veggies. If that is legit I would continue to pay the price for the ease of being able to get that amount of fruits and veggies daily.

$100/mo is a little more palatable if they do what they say. I would be nice, I just wonder about it.

Heck, I have a freeze dryer, I should make some of my own and see. Big Grin

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Chocolate. Dark, milk, I don't care. I prefer it covering a Dove bar.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Vit D3-4000iu
Super B Complex Vit
One a day Vit
Melatonin 5mg HS (at nite)

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post