SIGforum
Metal Cutting Services?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1240050774

November 29, 2020, 03:40 PM
slosig
Metal Cutting Services?
For welding up a frame, I’d be much more concerned about warping and fit issues coming from the welding than I would about the angles being a degree or three off. Tacking, welding a bit at a time, moving around and being aware of the material warming up is much more important that getting the cuts ultra precise.
November 29, 2020, 03:41 PM
P250UA5
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
For welding up a frame, I’d be much more concerned about warping and fit issues coming from the welding than I would about the angles being a degree or three off. Tacking, welding a bit at a time, moving around and being aware of the material warming up is much more important that getting the cuts ultra precise.

This is what I'm coming to realize & got a similar response on the Locost forum when inquiring about margin of error wrt cut angles.

The Enemy's gate is down.
November 29, 2020, 07:09 PM
220-9er
It would help to know your experience level in this type of stuff and the equipment you have.
Unless it's at a pretty high level, I would buy something like a finished frame and do the rest of the project. The other idea would be to buy a reasonable condition project car.

November 29, 2020, 07:18 PM
DJ_Boston
I have built a chassis, but not completed it yet. Going to start over. For the square tubing for a locost, just get a miter saw and some cutting disks. Won't cost much and it is fit for purpose. I had a metal bandsaw as well, but the miter was fine. Good luck!

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar