SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do I need adobe or java on desktop PC Win10?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I need adobe or java on desktop PC Win10? Login/Join 
Picture of rangeme101
posted
These programs are asking for updates, I update my devices manually instead of automatically. I know I've seen discussion here over time about these two programs but cant remember the do and do not about them.

So, do I need either one of our desktops?

one with Win10

one with Win7

On the Win10 PC I use the Shell program and stay out of Edge as much as possible. Though Xfintiy just advised me I need Edge or I cant use their site.

Thanks

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Adobe is a company. They offer many programs. You may want some of them depending on how you use your computer.

Java, on the other hand, dump it.

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Adobe usually means (pdf) Reader or/and flash player (some internet multimedia stuff.

I replaced Reader with Chrome. One - heavy - program less to worry about.

You might be able to live without flash player. Try your internet news website, it might require it. You'll see like briken links

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Programs written in the Java language require the "runtime" engine in order to run. Adobe provides PDF reader, Flash, PhotoShop, Lightroom and more.

You can remove Java; a program that requires it will request you download it. Adobe is a personal call. Flash is being discontinued (it's also full of security holes), but PDF Reader is handy (but not necessary) and if you're a photographer, you'll want the other Adobe products.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Nope. Dump java.

As for PDF readers/editors, a much better option to Adobe's bloated slow package can be found here: https://www.tracker-software.com/product/downloads

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Java is an update whore. Too much attention required, too many security holes,to plug.

Very likely, you can live without it AND if some specific software you run requires it, i would consider how much do you depend on such program.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should be factory installed in it if you bought the laptop brand new.

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Wayne, IN. | Registered: February 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post