SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    GASB renames financial report to avoid racist connotations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GASB renames financial report to avoid racist connotations Login/Join 
posted
GASB renames financial report to avoid racist connotations

The Governmental Accounting Standards Board is changing the term "Comprehensive Annual Financial Report" to "Annual Comprehensive Financial Report" because the abbreviation is often pronounced the same way as a derogatory term.

GASB issued a pronouncement Tuesday to change the term after some of its stakeholders raised concerns that the acronym of the prior name of the report sounds like an offensive term for Black South Africans when spoken. The changes in the name and acronym were widely supported by individuals and stakeholder groups that responded to an exposure draft it issued in April proposing the changes (see story).

Awareness of racial justice issues has been growing in the accounting profession, especially after the protests last year over the killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor. While the term that GASB is seeking to rename may not evoke racist connotations as much in the U.S., it does sound like an ethnic slur that was often used in Africa, particularly in apartheid-era South Africa.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Link

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.accountingtoday.co...&bt_ts=1635177702097

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Yep, let's find yet another thing to completely waste time and energy over. After all, there are no real issues the country is facing right now...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
So, let me get this right.

quote:
The acronym for the comprehensive annual financial report generally is pronounced KAFF-ur. It has been pointed out to the GASB that that pronunciation sounds like the word kaffir, which is a profoundly offensive term directed at Black South Africans.

https://www.gasb.org/jsp/GASB/...ge&cid=1176175841947

OUR (U.S.) GASB is worried about offending South Africans?

What a colossal waste of time...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A report used for govt financial reasons, has to be renamed, because it so happens that its acronym shares a similar pronunciation as an apartheid era slur...context means nothing these days Roll Eyes

Is the citrus fruit of the same name going to be changed? Got some farmers in SE Asia concerned about branding costs and such

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Will the National Association of Gun Rights be forced to change their name next???

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
/sarc on

The new acronym ACFR sounds like 'aquifier' and so could be offensive to water-starved marginalized victims of oppression in globally-warmed nations who can only dream of aquifiers.

/sarc off

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of it, I don't know what it means, and I don't care.

I know the source of the problem, though, big as life.

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
For fuck's sake, how long before the wokerati go after CBC's Hockey Night In Canada?

This reminds me of the professor at USC who got suspended, b/c he a Chinese word he was explaining, nei ge, sounds like N-word in English.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Will the National Association of Gun Rights be forced to change their name next???

I see what you did there. Wink

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I wonder which .gov GASBag thought that up?

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
All because someone probably watched Lethal Weapon II recently ... Roll Eyes

Posts: 12540 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^

Haha, yes that’s the only reason I’m familiar with the term.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
There is a tribe, deep in the Amazon that considers the following words to be offensive. ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC. In their language these are insults and cannot be tolerated.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Is the citrus fruit of the same name going to be changed? Got some farmers in SE Asia concerned about branding costs and such

The lime leaves that share that name are, in fact, also rooted in the same racist term.

Now, I don't particularly care, but the lime leaves deliberately refer to black Africa. I still call them kaffir lime leaves and they still call them that at the Asian markets where I shop for Asian ingredients.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

National Geospatial Agency is next for sure.

https://www.nga.mil/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
Never even heard of this until today, great job teaching people more derogatory terms that they otherwise wouldn't have known.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
Never even heard of this until today, great job teaching people more derogatory terms that they otherwise wouldn't have known.

And in languages that aren't English. So we stop using a similar sounding English word. Seems pretty stupid to me.

I wonder what the French would say if you suggested to them they stop using a French word that sounded similar to a racial insult in an obscure language used in India?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Creating perceived racist shit where there was none. Look at us, everybody, we're woke, too. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26342 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post