SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Attributes of your ideal “Zoom Room”
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attributes of your ideal “Zoom Room” Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
Building one.

4 outlets per wall
Intranet and internet Ethernet port on each wall
Place in the ceiling for routers, etc.

Small safe to lock up hard drive?
Mini fridge
Lots of lighting/might have to think about lighting and acoustic control.

“Do not disturb” light outside, with switches at each wall/maybe a remote.

Monitor for camera system around the house.
Smoke eater in ceiling, so I can smoke cigars in it.

Might need some kind of case for computers, etc so that the smoke won’t cause issues.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mounts in the ceiling for hologram emitters. Smile

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A live-in body double, so you personally don't have to sit through any inane Zoom meetings.

If that's not in the budget, then earplugs and a Valium IV drip. Consider padded walls.

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK, yes…. And, I realize this makes me an ass, but there are times when I get a kick out of attending meetings with either the farm or the beach in the background, while smoking a cigar…

Posts: 5745 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Put in a green screen backdrop to make easy background changes

Not sure you really need all that much ceiling lighting but instead need the right color and you need the horizontal on/behind the phone/laptop. Think of it as you're putting your desk/workstation into a photo studio or film studio. My ceiling lights are warm white, but the lack of horizontal lights on cloudy days makes me look like I'm two shakes away from a trip to the morgue.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23304 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I get a kick out of attending meetings with either the farm or the beach in the background

I've done this one. I found a nice tiki bar background that was sized just perfectly. It truly looked like I was there. Great fun.

But back to the point: I think you've got it covered, man. Plenty of connectivity and monitoring, a bit of security, and a beer fridge.

I'd want a general closet of some sort, with shelves inside, for putting away the things that ought to be easily accessed but not out in the way.

Maybe a doorbell? Plenty of times I've been in the garage oblivious to the world... 50 people could have come by and rung the front doorbell and I would never have known.

God bless America.

Posts: 13514 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Dont forget many pairs of the "Im not sleeping" glasses...

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never attended one and hope I never will. The thought reminds me of high school assemblies.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
They work well for small groups, IMO.

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Where you know the people involved.

posted Hide Post
I was not criticizing what you were doing, just my reaction. I much prefer person to person. My sister loves happy hour on Zoom with her friends.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
You should check out the DTEN ME Pro from DTEN.COM. It is a Zoom Room in a single screen for about $700, and doesn't require a Zoom Room license. I love mine. Second, good lighting. RING makes a good light. Mini fridge is a must as is a GOOD chair. I have the Secret Labs Titan gaming chair.

Oh, and for your "busy light", check this out: https://www.plenom.com/ It syncs to your calendar and to Zoom and changes colors based on your availability.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post