SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For those with an appreciation for the preservation of old mechanical devices
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those with an appreciation for the preservation of old mechanical devices Login/Join 
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted
These guys have a YouTube channel primarily dedicated to Urbex type videos showcasing interesting buildings, structures and machinery which has been abandoned and documenting them before they are demolished or repurposed.

This video is quite different from their usual ones as it is much longer. It covers an old steam engine formerly used by the Water Dept. in Woburn, MA to provide water to its residents.

The video consists of a tour of a working steam engine and a long form interview with the extremely knowledgeable and passionate person largely responsible for its restoration and maintenance.

I didn't plan on watching this video in its entirety but was quickly drawn in by the beauty of the various components of the engine and the accessories needed to run and maintain it.

Link

Posts: 7321 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A. E. Karnes seems to be an interesting chap. A bit eccentric maybe but he appears to be quite knowledgeable about what he's doing, the history of what he is working on, etc.

I found that he has his own YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AEKarnes/videos

Posts: 928 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
If y'all love the restoration of old stuff, check out My Mechanics...

He's currently working on a Datsun 240Z restoration that will probably interest several on this forum.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Very good!

Thank you for posting.

RMD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rduckwor,

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20324 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
www.oldthreshers.org

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54686 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Near Davis, CA (known best as an ag school historically) there is a museum and at least one organization of folks who restore and show antique mechanized farm implements. Thinking about it makes me homesick a little.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy seeing things restored. Great thread!

And thanks for the links - more rabbit holes for me to travel down. Smile

Edit to add:

Here's my contribution - especially for the watch aficionados here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1lvm_20Qu4

Watching this guy fix/restore watches is mesmerizing.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The Curta handheld mechanical calculator:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curta

Adds, subtracts, multiplies, and divides. An amazing device. No batteries required. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8996 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the links! ejr_pilot, I follow that channel pretty regularly but somehow hadn't noticed his Datsun project. I'll probably check that out when I get time.

Speaking of time, I too follow various watch restoration channels, marksman41. I've done some work on old clock movements but haven't tried a watch movement yet.

Pipe Smoker, the link to the Wiki for the Curta is fascinating. I've been aware of different Babbage devices and similar but I've never heard of the Curta. In taking a cursory glance at links for all things Curta, it seems to be popular with 3-d printers since obtaining a genuine item can be rather costly today. Here's a short video I came across which gives a demonstration of several of the Curta's functions.

Link

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
I lusted for a Curta when I was younger, but couldn’t afford it then. By the time I could afford it the HP-35 was available.

But I really appreciate neat mechanisms. And not just mechanical such as the Curta. I do a lot of programming, and I’m always pleased to write a nifty function that simplifies my programs. My latest is a circular buffer that makes it easy to capture the last ‘n’ of a long sequence of items.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8996 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a really good in-depth one for the watch guys interested in repair/restoration. This one goes beyond mere disassembly/cleaning/reassembly. He provides rationale for when and how he does various things and provides some interesting history along the way. Long but well worth the time if you have any interest in this very unique Hamilton watch.

Link

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I'm fascinated by non-electronic mechanical devices, though I can't claim to be able to repair or restore. But I do appreciate them.

Guns of course, but also...

Typewriters, adding machines, watches, clocks, pianos, locks, etc.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tractors are a "thing" around here and some of the farmers prefer to retire old cars and trucks.

The Internet has revolutionized tractor and auto resto for them.

It used to take four to six years to resto a Deere 730.
Now ! 2 or three.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54686 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I'm fascinated by non-electronic mechanical devices, though I can't claim to be able to repair or restore. But I do appreciate them.

Guns of course, but also...

Typewriters, adding machines, watches, clocks, pianos, locks, etc.

Did you see my Curta handheld mechanical calculator post above? Super nifty, it is!

Serious about crackers