SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electronics Earplugs Recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronics Earplugs Recommendation Login/Join 
posted
What kind of earplugs do we need to wear at the time of the shooting? Thoughts and recommendations?

Posts: 9 | Registered: December 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Well, that depends on your personal preference and what kind of shooting you're doing.

As a general rule, I'll look for the highest Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) available, but you still have to figure out what you want in terms of form factor and features.

If you're shooting pistols, it doesn't matter how bulky your ear protection is because it won't be in your way, so a good headset can be cheap and effective.

If you're shooting rifles and shotguns, a bulky headset could interfere with your cheek weld and you might be looking at plugs or even low profile headsets.

Some people like to layer plugs with headsets for more noise reduction, especially if you're shooting for long stretches at a time.

Some people find one or the other more or less comfortable.

Earplugs are okay, but if I'm on a public range (particularly if I'm teaching) they have to be the kind with a cord so I can drape them over my neck when I'm not wearing them.

Mostly, I wear a low-profile electronic headset like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-...id=1576848638&sr=8-9

It won't break the bank and it does an excellent job of reducing muzzle blast and concussion while amplifying voices and other normal sounds.

It's really a matter of choice. Style, features, comfort, convenience.

Just look for the NRR symbol - the higher the better - and make sure you're wearing them properly (especially if you go with ear plugs).

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16310 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
This is one of those things that has left me bemused after all my years of shooting.

It may not be obvious to people with normal, mostly-undamaged hearing, but for someone like me who has had tinnitus since 1968 when I was exposed to loud noises with no protection in a land far away, ear plugs don’t provide nearly the protection as muffs—regardless of their NRR figures. Unless the gun is suppressed or it’s a .22 rimfire, gunshots are painful to me no matter what plugs I’ve used. Any electronic or high tech type that depends on some sort of sound wave canceling design is even less effective in my experience. When I double up, I always use the top rated foam plugs. They are more difficult to insert properly, but they work better as well.

If one is truly serious about minimizing hearing damage from shooting, muffs are far superior to any plugs, and that’s especially true in any situation when the sound level is worse: indoors, shooting next to another shooter, “close combat” shooting with a handgun, etc.

The comments about how muffs are less suitable for shooting long guns is totally correct, but I shoot rifles a lot and the low profile muffs I use work fine for me. One bit of advice I will give about muffs is that positioning them on one’s head is important for not only the protection but so they interfere less with proper cheek weld.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47660 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have high level hearing loss due to years of being under the employ of Uncle Sam.

Back then you wore what was issued, and there was not the multitude of research nor products available like there is now.

I personally use ear plugs and muffs, whether I am inside or outside. The whole debate about ear muffs throwing off your cheek weld is a moot point to me because I am not that great of shot anyways, and the minor nuisance is not enough to effect aim.

Before I deployed Afghanistan I met with an audiologist regarding having ear plugs custom made. Once I get my money squared away and start shooting again I am going to revisit this idea.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW

Mostly, I wear a low-profile electronic headset like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-...id=1576848638&sr=8-9

It won't break the bank and it does an excellent job of reducing muzzle blast and concussion while amplifying voices and other normal sounds.

It's really a matter of choice. Style, features, comfort, convenience.

Just look for the NRR symbol - the higher the better - and make sure you're wearing them properly (especially if you go with ear plugs).

-Rob

This is what I use shooting indoors, under cover, or when teaching. For outdoors without cover I use regular earplugs, or cumstom molded ones. It's all about comfort.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use custom molded electronic ear plugs when outside and add earmuffs additionally when inside.

We did not have ear protection when I went through Basic Training.

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2148 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You want plugs or, a head-set/ear muff style?

Most people are wearing a head-set type as it's easier to use, not particular to the shape of your ear canal and models from Sordin/MSA, Peltor and Howard Leight all provide an elevated level of protection.

Posts: 15053 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion:
1. I have custom molded ear plugs. They work well and are comfortable but mine aren't electronic so you can't hear normal conversation.
2. If I'm on the range with other folks I wear "Sonic Defender's " by Surefire..they are non-electronic ear plugs that are supposed to decrease the sound impulse of a shot....I then put electronic muffs over that. Sometimes, I'll turn off one ear to protect that ear but you lose directionality.
3. I can't find any electronic ear plugs that work very well for me. This is frustrating because the last pair cost $600 ….ouch !

Posts: 1295 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Peltor TEP 100. I've read some good reviews on the Walker Silencers. Peltor is expensive but something of a known quantity. I use them primarily when shooting in the summer and not wanting the gross sweat effect of muffs and when shooting long guns that require a solid cheekweld (duty guns and stuff I want to zero and shoot with as close of a "match" to real life position as possible). I use the skull screw foams, which have great reduction at a slight cost in fidelity. Overall I would recommend.

Posts: 5202 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I place an order on amazon for an earplug but a friend of mine suggests a link https://www.bigearinc.com/prod...c-hearing-protection and when I visit the link the earplugs are good and I also decide to buy from another one from here.

Posts: 9 | Registered: December 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
If you're considering spending that kind of money I'd look at EAR Inc. I have a set of corded custom fit earplugs and the sound is amazing. They also make wireless fitted ear plugs and are much less expensive that the company in your link, so you might want to take a look.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’m a huge fan of SoundGear, having used the instant fit in ear and now the Platinum custom molded electronics. I even bought a set of regular plugs for lawn mowing and stuff.

I have some Pelton 100 muffs that work well, but clip the audio. When hearing a loud noise, they shut off then come back on.

With the SoundGear, I can still have a conversation while the comped gun shooter is shooting. The Peltor blocks out all sound.

However, as performance goes up so does cost.

Peltor 100, $80 or so
SoundGear solid plugs, $150 up to $250 for filtered models.
SoundGear instant fit, $400. Deals for military and vets if you sign up. Currently on sale.
SoundGear Silver, $999
SoundGear Platinum, $1199
Look for a booth at large shooting events usually USPSA.
If you have a FlexPay plan, these should be eligible if you get them from a audiologists, that’s what I did.

I got my SoundGear from House of Hearing in St. George, UT during a big shoot. They also tweaked the fit for me on another trip. Great people!

I’m just a customer, no other affiliation, but I love the ear pro!

Lots of people are happy with the MSA Sordin muffs or Walker Game ears as well, though I’ve not used them.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8362 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post