SIGforum
If you had $10,000.00 to invest, what would you do?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1220067754

June 12, 2019, 01:20 PM
GT-40DOC
If you had $10,000.00 to invest, what would you do?
I would time-ladder insured non-callable CDs. You will sleep well.
June 12, 2019, 02:10 PM
radioman
Well, one thing for sure, there's a mixture of good advice and bad advice here.

Just have to sort out which is which.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
June 12, 2019, 04:22 PM
ChicagoSigMan
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
For that amount of cash best find a good money market account which should pay 2.25 to 2.5 % while being FCIA insured and you can get the cash anytime you want/need. I use Marcus (Goldman Sachs) to park cash which currently pays 2.25%. This fluctuates monthly along with the fed. If you don't mind tying it up for a year or more, a CD can get you a bit more interest but of course you pay for this with less liquidity.

Bingo. Money market fund is the way to go for short-term parking of cash with flexibility.

To me, parking money means you don't want to take risk with it. Stocks, bond funds and real estate all have risk.

T-bills with staggered maturities are too complicated for this amount.

Put it in a money market and call it a day.
June 12, 2019, 05:07 PM
bcereuss
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Well, one thing for sure, there's a mixture of good advice and bad advice here.

Just have to sort out which is which.

Hookers and Blow?
June 12, 2019, 05:08 PM
bcereuss
Thank you for all the replies; it is time for me to digest this information. I appreciate the time all of you have taken to respond.
June 12, 2019, 05:15 PM
VANQUISH
I will 2nd picking up some platinum, seems like a great value right now when looking at it historically.
June 12, 2019, 05:16 PM
kimber1911
quote:
Originally posted by Creeping_Death:
Buy a Ruger AC556.

With Tax Stamps that will put you in the $12,000 range on the low end.

For $10,000 a good investment would be a MAC 10/45 or MAC 11/9.
With availability of Lage uppers and parts these are surely to go up in value.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021
June 12, 2019, 07:37 PM
mikeyspizza
Sallie Mae $10,000 1-year CD at 2.75% APY. There are others. If you want to go a little longer, you can find 3-year at 3%. I would not go longer than 3 years.
June 14, 2019, 01:40 PM
Hay2bale
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
For that amount of cash best find a good money market account which should pay 2.25 to 2.5 % while being FCIA insured and you can get the cash anytime you want/need. I use Marcus (Goldman Sachs) to park cash which currently pays 2.25%. This fluctuates monthly along with the fed. If you don't mind tying it up for a year or more, a CD can get you a bit more interest but of course you pay for this with less liquidity.

I am going with the CD, because the rate is locked in for the term you choose, where the money market may have declined to 1.0% by October.

These low rates REALLY piss me off.

My first mortgage was at 12.75%. Now that I have money to invest, they pay essentially nothing after inflation and taxes.

I blame this on George W. Bush, the dumber, for lowering the Fed Funds rate to 1% in 2003-2004, and even lower in 2008. Obama continued this trend, robbing a generation of savers of their retirement income for over a decade.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass
June 14, 2019, 02:21 PM
mcrimm
As a retired banker, I remember paying 15% or more on CDs. The other side of the coin was commercial and agricultural borrowers paying over 20% for money. It didn’t work very well. As rates softened, investors were pissed and borrowers were happy. I paid 13% to borrow money to build a house. Ouch.

How do you want it?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
June 14, 2019, 02:46 PM
DEC505
Primers and powder

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality
June 14, 2019, 04:38 PM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
As a retired banker, I remember paying 15% or more on CDs. The other side of the coin was commercial and agricultural borrowers paying over 20% for money. It didn’t work very well. As rates softened, investors were pissed and borrowers were happy. I paid 13% to borrow money to build a house. Ouch.

How do you want it?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good point. I remember buying Treasury Zero Coupon Bonds in those days for retirement accounts. Twenty year maturity with 15 percent rate of return. Wish I had bought more.
June 14, 2019, 05:24 PM
VBVAGUY
I have always wished that I should have invested $10K when bitcoin first came out and was under $100. I am actually thinking of investing some money next year on FaceBook cryptocurrency. God Bless Smile

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/1...y-barclays-says.html

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."
June 14, 2019, 05:41 PM
bendable
at my age?
safe deposit box

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first