SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for Massachusetts residents
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Massachusetts residents Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
I'm originally from MA and lived there and NH for most of my life. I have two older sisters who still live there.

After moving away for my job and feeling the freedom of Indiana, I never thought I'd move back to such an oppressive state, but I'm considering doing just that after I retire in 3-5 years.

Because of their aging...and my aging, I think being near family would be good, not to mention lifelong friends that I have there. Being near the ocean and getting into boating and fishing appeals to me.

Of course I know about the political downfalls, but what I don't know about specifically are laws regarding firearms brought into the state and if anything I have would not be allowed.

Any thoughts and input is appreciated.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
You can bring anything you own legally.

You may want to buy some off roster stuff as well. Think Glock. Once you are here you can private party transfer 4 a year.

You may be able to make a few bucks :-)

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Noble thing you're contemplating. Depends on just how close you want to be & where in Mass your kin is located. I would consider NH an option as it places you close & its easier on your choice of firearms.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MA is may issue,there are red towns, that do not give either permits or give restricted permits.

You should not move into a red town if you want a license to carry.

The list changes with the wind and the police chief.

Most larger cities are not gun friendly.

Here is a link to one list, I have no idea how up to date it is.

http://northeastshooters.com/v...r-Massachusetts-town

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Robert, that's good to hear.

CQB, I've considered NH again, but the family in on the south shore and the Cape. I grew up not far from the Cape on the south shore. Of course, NH isn't what it once was either.

sig, thanks for that list. The area that I was considering looks pretty safe...at least when it was printed.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i would also investigate the boating and fishing regs. since you would like to do that. may find they are trying to screw you out that right too.

bastids, in my best maine voice Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
i would also investigate the boating and fishing regs. since you would like to do that. may find they are trying to screw you out that right too.

bastids, in my best maine voice Wink

I spent a week in the area over the July 4th holiday. During that time I rented a boat and also watched lots of folks catching striped bass in the Cape Cod Canal. My alma mater is right at the head of the canal. Lots of good memories. But I get it. Regs in Mass are outrageous.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Move to Maine. I'm not a born Mainer and my family is all in Boston, but I will never live there again. I love Massachusetts for the history but I just can't live there. I saw the Toll House burn down, I lived near where Paul Revere became a silver smith, I saw where logs were milled for the USS Constitution, I have been to Lexington and Concord, I stood on the street where the first northern troops assembled to march south, but I will never live there again.

Massachusetts has turned it's back on history. I was at dinner with my mom and her husband last year in Abington. She asked me if I would ever move back. I laughed. Not in a million years.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Don't bring "new" standard capacity mags. Pre 10-94 is the best you can do UNLESS something happened to your old mags and you needed to rebuild them, like when my pal drove over his Glock mags and had to rebuild everything but the followers. You can rebuild a broken old standard cap with new tubes, baseplates, followers, springs, et al but one part needs to be old...

Anything you own can be brought in and transferred on an "E-FA-10" face to face, as a PIN identified transaction. You may transfer 4 guns to other private buyers this way each calendar year- some people find they don't need as many Springfield XDs, current-gen Glocks, or such as they own once they get in.

I am NOT sure about "importing" AR based rifles you currently have. There's big-time BS going on with those. Some good places to see about that would be with GOAL, COMM2A, or someone like Atty. Keith Langer in the town of Wrentham. He's a great guy and extremely knowledgeable regarding the 2A laws here.

License laws changed a lot over the past couple years, very much to the shooter's benefit, IMO. MOST of the towns are accurate, WRT the Northeast Shooter's thread mentioned above.

Zip me an email if you want a name to drop to Keith should you choose to call him.

And keep me/ us posted should you move back this way. I'm about 35 minutes from the canal.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
FYI, I was born in Brockton and grew up in West Bridgewater. Lived in many different towns and cities along the way, but Wareham was one I was in for a long time. Spent a lot of time in the metro west region also. Binky, my sister lives in Abington.

Obviously I feel very torn. I didn't ever imagine doing this, but that week long trip earlier this month had an effect on me. Maybe I lost my senses? Wink

Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
We need more like minded people here! Don't be afraid, just stay away from the Kool-Aid.

ETA was born in Holliston and now live really close to mid-way between Brockton and the RI border.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
The further west you go, the more conservative it tends to get. At least from my experience.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I hate Kool-Aid and know where to get my news! Wink

If I go through with this plan, it wouldn't be for several years, but I am considering buying a rental to lease out in the meantime. I have some property in Chicago I want to get rid of and do a like transfer into some rental.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Ryan, I totally get that. And although the western part of the state is beautiful, it doesn't hold just what I'm looking for.

BTW, I've shot the Mass and NE IDPA champ. matches at the range in Dartmouth. Great place.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Ryan, I totally get that. And although the western part of the state is beautiful, it doesn't hold just what I'm looking for.

I get it, a lot of it is no-man's land.

I do enjoy the southern part of the Metro-West area. Between I-95 and 146.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
With the election of Donald Trump and recent GOP success in the house and senate, do you think the state of MA could make a turn back away total liberalism?

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
With the election of Donald Trump and recent GOP success in the house and senate, do you think the state of MA could make a turn back away total liberalism?

No. It's in their DNA and when they move to a state like New Hampshire or Florida they bring their fucked up ideology with them and fuck up their new home.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post