SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nervous about my son’s surgery
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nervous about my son’s surgery Login/Join 
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted
Tomorrow my 17 year old is having labral repair surgery on his shoulder

He is a healthy, vibrant young man

I know his risks of complications are low

But I still cannot sleep

What I know academically about risks, etc is completely outweighed by I guess parental paranoia

I know there are many forum members with many worse problems than mine but

if you guys can throw a good thought or two my kid’s way tomorrow around 330pm eastern i’d Be grateful

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's apparent that you're a parent, cuz I'm a parent too.

And praying for the best outcome...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
They’re never too old to stop worrying about them.
Hopefully they have kids of their own someday so they will understand what it’s all about.

Posts: 18096 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He will be OK. Unlike us older guys, kids heal up fast.

Just make sure he attends his physical therapy.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1183 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Good vibes and a prayer sent.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7005 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
In my prayers.

Posts: 26955 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
In my prayers.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5363 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Completely understand, sorry!

Praying for you and your family, as well as a great outcome for your son!

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Prayers it turns out well. My daughter had surgery at 17 oh her hip labrum. All good.

Hope you have a recliner chair. Everyone I know that has had shoulder surgery has commented that they could not sleep laying flat for several days - they used the recliner to keep some weight off the shoulder.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Prayers for a great surgery and quick recovery time.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
As a parent of 3 boys, I understand your fear. I’m pretty sure I didn’t actually understand what real fear was until I had kids.

I had a labrum repair (posterior, anterior, and SLAP) surgery last year at 39. I probably should have had it at 17 when I first hurt it. At the time the fix was open surgery and a lot more invasive so I declined. Fast forward 20+ years including additional dislocations and injuries culminated in a complete separation while taking a suitcase out of the car. The last bit of my labrum just gave out. Hurt like hell.

The surgery itself isn’t bad, but the imbolization and PT afterwards sucks. It took me about 6 months before I felt fully functional again. I feel like if I had had the surgery when I was younger recovery would have been a lot easier. Would have probably helped avoid a lot of the subsequent injuries to the shoulder over the years as well. If any of my kids have that type of injury in the future I plan on encouraging them to get it fixed. Doesn’t mean they’ll listen or that I wouldn’t still be nervous, but I think it’s the right thing. Fixing my shoulder also fixed my back and a whole bunch of other things I had just chalked up to being older.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2696 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I've had 5 surgeries on both shoulders, pretty much everything under the sun. The risk is anesthesia so answer all the question completely, be honest if nervous, sick, etc. Don't put anything in his stomach prior as directed by the Dr. - aspiration is bad.

As for the surgery, as noted he'll wake up groggy and numb if they do a nerve block + painkillers. Keep ahead of the pain for first few days as directed don't be brave, use a lot of ice and then get off the pain meds...and then follow recovery instructions.

I wanted to push it as it is my nature - but patience, and time will ensure proper healing. Do PT as directed - not more, not less and did I say BE PATIENT - pushing beyond what is directed only risks undoing the work. Ice does wonders and the hardest part is the imbolization for a while - I had one where arm was in a sling for 3 months, and directed to use the sling to protect arm in next 3 months.

Good luck and good outcome - my first was at 19 and scared the crap out of me. Something unnatural about letting folks cut into you.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Prayer sent for a great outcome and rapid healing...on it's way!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. He is out of surgery and resting

I’ve, unfortunately, had 5 surgeries on my left shoulder, the last being a total replacement. I am well versed on that side of things

My concern was the irrational “something is wrong with my son” kind

Healing and rest to come. Then back to basketball.

Thank you all for your positive thoughts and prayers

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Sounds like all is well Kevbo. My middle daughter has had 3 knee surgery’s in the last 2 years. I know exactly how you feel.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers for an easy recovery. My girlfriend’s brother is a shoulder surgeon. They’re doing some amazing things in that field.

Posts: 852 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear the Part 1 went well. On to Part 2 recovery and rehab. Best of luck and God be with you both.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3769 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He’ll be fine as long as he does his PT. And doesn’t do more than what the PT wants him to do.

I avoided labrum surgery on my left shoulder at 23. Probably shouldn’t have, but that surgeon didn’t give me the warm fuzzies. I’ve suffered on and off since.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I'll pray for a good outcome. It is a relatively simple surgery so rest easy.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post