New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple Watch Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted
What's the draw?
I've got Athens iPhone & iPad that I use for personal ... While I do have a desktop and laptop, I rarely use them anymore ... when I leave work, I leave Windows there.

I don't know a lot about the Apple Watch but I do like the idea of having my apps on my wrist, getting text without having to pull out my phone ... I loved to read Dick Tracy when I was a kid.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5709 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 3rd gen one. They are up to gen4 now. For me, the 3 and higher are great. Built in GPS means I can use it as a running watch. Previous gens you had to bring phone along as well. You can have a small playlist that you can Bluetooth to earbuds if you like that. Waterproof. Great exercise watch for runners, bicyclists, swimmers.

It is cool to answer phone or texts sitting on couch with phone nowhere in sight.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like your apple products you will love the watch. Too many features to spell out (I did that in a post earlier this year). But the watch is so well designed and constructed and so tightly integrated with your phone that it will amaze you. My whole family has them and loves them. I have Rolexes that I have not worn in over a year because of my Apple watch. (and I love my Rolexes)....

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only time my wife’s Apple Watch comes off her wrist is to charge it. No doubt if it died on her she would run right out and buy another.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
The only time my wife’s Apple Watch comes off her wrist is to charge it.

That's one of the few times my Apple Watch comes off my wrist.

quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
No doubt if it died on her she would run right out and buy another.

There's no question I would.

Like straightshooter01 wrote: Features/advantages too many to list, but, among those I use, if not daily, then regularly: Notifications (phone calls, text messages, alarm system, surveillance cameras, calendar events, more), heart rate monitoring, Apple Pay (which is nothing short of terrific), alarms, count-down timers, weather, upcoming events on my calendar. I can even make and take phone calls on it, in a pinch. That surprised the hell out of me.

The main disadvantage is having to charge it nearly daily, but that's true of most smart watches like it. I can get away with two days with light use. The upside is it charges fully from ±50% in ±1/2 hour.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I use mine for...

Check texts
Alarms
Reminders
Stopwatch
Timers
Heart rate
Count steps, calories burned, exercise minutes
Exercise timer for a variety of forms of exercise
Answer/decline calls when your phone out of reach
Calendar
Ring Video doorbell notifications
Garage door notifications
GPS direction prompts when driving
Remote trigger camera on iPhone
Weather alerts

Probably missing a few things, but you get the idea...

Oh, tells the time too. In 6 different locations of interest to me. Mine is 2nd Gen, haven’t seen a need to upgrade it yet.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10963 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Do it. I love mine — have been wearing one since 2015.

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I was initially skeptical and bought a series 2 from a forum member at a great price. The exercise tracking routines and reminders are indispensable to me now. Viewing SMS messages discretely have added value as well. If you have heart conditions, the new series can literally save your life..

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If only they were round. I refuse to wear a squared watch.
My Mom loves hers. I am anxiously awaiting my Suunto Spartan.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
If only they were round.

Inefficient for text displays (text msgs, notifications, etc.) and many graphs. A round watch would have to be much bigger or certain characteristics (e.g.: text size) much smaller.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your replies ... I've held off, mainly because I'm tired of being a beta-tester.
Another question, is it "worth" the extra $100 for the cellular model?

I have a bad habit of leaving my phone on my desk, but I'm wondering, if I can do all the above listed things on my watch, maybe I won't take my phone out of my pocket as much, so I won't be so apt to forget it on my desk ...

What say ye?
(Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl is on)

Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
I didnt get the Cellular version because of the extra cost and need for a 'data' plan for the watch.

If your work has wifi it can still connect to your phone and you wont need to carry your phone all the time and leave it on your desk.

quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
Thanks for all your replies ... I've held off, mainly because I'm tired of being a beta-tester. Another question, is it "worth" the extra $100 for the cellular model?

I have a bad habit of leaving my phone on my desk, but I'm wondering, if I can do all the above listed things on my watch, maybe I won't take my phone out of my pocket as much, so I won't be so apt to forget it on my desk ...

What say ye?

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2676 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
If only they were round.

Inefficient for text displays (text msgs, notifications, etc.) and many graphs. A round watch would have to be much bigger or certain characteristics (e.g.: text size) much smaller.

Suuntos displays are quite large have been since before they started making smart watches.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Got mine about a year ago on a impulse buy one day walking through Target's tech department. Series 3 42MM. I initially thought it would just be a novelty but after wearing it awhile I really like and see the attraction. Answer calls, view and reply to texts, BP monitor that actually works, interact with your phone which can stay in your pocket and on and on. The only thing lacking on the series 3 for me is a sleep monitor mode. I think they have that in the series 4 though.

I like that you can very easily change wrist bands. I've got one for everyday walk around that has holes in the band which makes it cooler, and another that's a bit more dressy. Also, I find the battery life is pretty good. All day is not a problem usually ending the day at better than 50%. I've gone two days many times when I forgot to charge it.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for all your replies ... I've held off, mainly because I'm tired of being a beta-tester.

What say ye?

Beta tester?! The Apple Watch has been out since 2015. Lol

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3980 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
If only they were round.

Well stated. The Apple Watches are the perfect sizes.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3980 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I picked one up in October, and like everyone else, this thing does not come off my wrist except to charge it.

It seamlessly ties to the Iphone, is a great fitness tracker, etc... I use the walkie talkie function to talk to family members all over the country.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6494 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I each received a Gen2 for Christmas last year. Neither of us wore a watch at that point as we are old retired folks. We did carry fitbits.

We gave out Fitbits away and love our watches. I see us upgrading to a Gen5 in a year or so but we love all the features of the watch. We buy cheap bands from Amazon to add variety and color to our watches.

Mine holds a charge for at least 2 days.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:

What say ye?

Beta tester?! The Apple Watch has been out since 2015. Lol

I've jumped on products when they first came out and regretted it ... Rember Beta-recording? (Here's a hint, it was pre VCR) I also jot in on the initial batch of Special Weapons SW-32, basically a 7.62x39 HK93 ... Recoil was excessively violent, I ended up putting on a modified HK21 club foot stock with heavy buffer ... The list goes on and on because sometimes I can't help myself ... Oh, remember the first "flat screen" TV's? We paid almost $4,000 for our first one Nd now you can buy a 55" smart TV for $499 or less!
But look at it this way, 4 years and they've gone through 4 generations of iWatches ... The first two They don't even support any longer, and if I remember correctly they were much more expensive!

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have one of the original generation watches that I bought from a member here, when he upgraded.

Certainly not the latest and greatest, will not run new OS releases, but it serves me well.

I am hearing impaired and do not hear alerts, but the watch vibrates on my wrist to let me know that I have new next or email messages coming in. That alone, is worth the price of admission for me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30743 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post