SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today's Science Quiz
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today's Science Quiz Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Check out this bizarre cup. It's like an ordinary wineglass, except there's some kind of weird drain thing in the center.

The first pic shows the glass empty. The second pic shows the cup filled to just below the weird drain thing. The third pic shows the liquid just starting to drain out when filled to the top of the center column.

Question:
What would happen if you continued to fill the cup?

Choices:
Nothing. It would just continue filling to the top.
Liquid would drain out, but only the extra amount above the drain column.
All the liquid would drain out until the glass was completely empty.
The diagrams are incorrect in the first place. It's impossible to fill a cup of such construction. Liquid starts draining out as soon as you try to fill it.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16376 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At first I thought it was partitioned, but if it’s only in the center, I think it will siphon off.

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
My guess, right side would siphon, left would even out at the overflow point at the top.
(and why would anyone make such a thing?)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andcommande:
At first I thought it was partitioned, but if it’s only in the center, I think it will siphon off.
Once the siphon action begins, it will continue until all the liquid is drained.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
My guess, right side would siphon, left would even out at the overflow point at the top.
(and why would anyone make such a thing?)

There's no left and right side. The drain column is a post in the center of the cup. Sort of like a Hydra-shok bullet...

As to why someone would make such a cup, there is a practical reason...supposedly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16376 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I think the story goes something like a certain person invented this cup to shame people for over indulging, pouring themselves more than they should.

I voted the second answer. All I know is something will come out. Not sure if it will siphon the whole thing, or just above the tube.

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The siphon effect drains the cup, kind of like a commode does.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Ever siphon gas? As long as the drain end is lower than the liquid it should drain until empty.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15607 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It all drains out.

There is actually a device based on this design used to wash glass pipettes in chemistry labs.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Right side would drain completely, left would not. Unless the weird part just stick up in the center, then whole cup would drain.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20832 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Would be dry indeed.

Posts: 9160 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Would siphon until empty.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I think it would mostly siphon out. Don't automatic fabric softener dispensers in clothes washers work on this principle?

Posts: 3231 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Siphon action would drain the cup.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4840 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Once the siphon action begins, it will continue until all the liquid is drained.

flashguy

I agree with flashguy.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8982 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cup is not partitioned into two halves by center device. Center device looks (to me) like a finger sticking up from the center bottom of the cup.

Siphon action would drain entire cup.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Cup is not partitioned into two halves by center device. Center device looks (to me) like a finger sticking up from the center bottom of the cup.

Correct. (The OP failed to directly specify that, although it can be inferred.)

Posts: 32531 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:

flashguy

I agree with flashguy.

I concur.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8114 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
It would siphon off the liquid. It's basically a toilet without a break that prevents siphoning. When a soil pipe vent gets clogged, toilets try to siphon and you'll hear them sucking air and water.

Posts: 7461 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Right side would drain completely, left would not. Unless the weird part just stick up in the center, then whole cup would drain.
There is no right or left side. Images depict a cut away view.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post