SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Canadian Members: Restrictions On Buying An Airgun In Canada?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canadian Members: Restrictions On Buying An Airgun In Canada? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
Well, Trudeau's got me thinking about a number of things, and one of them is this -

Are there any restrictions or requirements that Canadians have to deal with if they want to buy a conventional air pistol or air rifle for target shooting?

Is it legal for an American in Canada to buy a conventional air pistol or air rifle for target shooting?

"Conventional" here means that I'm thinking about "pump up" models rather than CO2 or PCP models, models meant to shoot one shot at a time and probably with velocities not exceeding 1,000 fps for a rifle or, say, 600 fps for a pistol.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Under Canadian law "firearm" means a barrelled weapon from which any shot, bullet or other projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury (i.e., permanent damage to an eye) or death to a person, and includes any frame or receiver of such a barrelled weapon and anything that can be adapted for use as a firearm. Using just this definition virtually every airgun firing a lead pellet is a firearm.

However, since 1978 there has been a partial exception for low powered airguns. Historically, according to the Criminal Code a pellet gun is a firearm for most purposes of the Firearms Act only if it is designed or adapted to discharge:Airgun Lead Pellet

- a pellet at a muzzle velocity of more than 152.4 metres per second (about 500 feet per second); or
- a pellet which itself is designed or adapted to attain a velocity of more than 152.4 metres per second.

The Canadian limits The law enforcement interpretation of this definition has been that low powered airguns do not require registration nor the owner/purchaser to be licenced. In practice the legislation has led to the production of very low power airguns specifically for the Canadian market. Many airguns that are sold elsewhere in the world would be classified as firearms in Canada and would require a firearms licence to bring into Canada.

Currently, for the purposes of sections 91 to 95, 99 to 101, 103 to 107 and 117.03 of the criminal code, airguns are deemed not to be firearms, where it is proved that the weapon is not designed or adapted to discharge

(i) a shot, bullet or other projectile at a muzzle velocity exceeding 152.4 m per second or at a muzzle energy exceeding 5.7 Joules, or

(ii) a shot, bullet or other projectile that is designed or adapted to attain a velocity exceeding 152.4 m per second or an energy exceeding 5.7 Joules.

In the province of Ontario low power airguns that do not require registration are classed as "imitation firearms" and can only be sold to those over the age of 18. As well there is legislation in Ontario that classifies airgun pellets as ammunition and requires that retailers record the identification of all ammunition purchasers.

For more information about airguns there is an excellent Canadian Airgun Forum.

Posts: 11331 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^so I’m guessing one of those scuba tank powered air rifles you see people whacking dassies in South Africa would be completely out of the question.

https://youtu.be/oOzajscJBgg

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
^^so I’m guessing one of those scuba tank powered air rifles you see people whacking dassies in South Africa would be completely out of the question.

https://youtu.be/oOzajscJBgg

Smile

Posts: 11331 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post