SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    50th Anniversary of Abbey Road- Here Comes the Sun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

50th Anniversary of Abbey Road- Here Comes the Sun Login/Join 
Picture of TigerDore
posted
Fifty years ago today, Abbey Road was released. If you're a Beatles fan, or even if you aren't, this special 50th anniversary mix of Here Comes the Sun should warm your heart just a little.

Posts: 8624 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
As more time goes by, the more my appreciation for George’s work.

I would have loved to been able to witness those four in a studio, together.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I was a sophomore at Cal, sitting on the lawn at Sproul Plaza when my roommie came by with the hot of the press new Beatles album - we left school to go back to our house to listen to the entire album many times that day - apparently 50 years ago today. I need to call the roomie; he's a Professor at CSU Chico now.

Abbey Road :-)

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I remember listening to a live radio program interview with George Harrison. He started performing HCTS, but immediately noticed the sound engineer had added reverb. He stopped singing and said he didn't need it, then started again. He didn't.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I'm not a huge music/Beatles fan, but this is one of the coolest interviews ever. Take a few minutes and watch, even if you are not a huge fan.

quote:
James Corden heads to Liverpool for a special day with Paul McCartney spent exploring the city of Paul's youth, visiting his childhood home where he wrote music with John Lennon, performing songs in a local pub and of course driving around singing a few of Paul's biggest hits.

Really cool part where they go into the apartment he grew up in for the first time since he moved out when he was around 20. Lot's of cool moments in the interview/tour.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjvzCTqkBDQ

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
My all time favorite Beatles tune. I think I'll cycle it through the den a few times just for kicks and giggles thanks for posting it. Big Grin

Posts: 6396 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I still have my original vinyl LP of Abbey Road, where "Her Majesty" is a hidden track (not listed on either the jacket or album label).

Billboard has a track-by-track review of the album, from a 50-year post perspective.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
If this thread gets any cooler we'll have to hose it down.

I'm waiting for the movie Yesterday to be rentable on Apple TV.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Some things make me grieve for my lost youth - things seemed so much simpler then.

R.I.P. John and George; live long, and prosper, Paul and Ringo!

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I pre ordered the 2 disc set from Amazon, arrives tomorrow. I always thought Abbey Road was one of the Beatles better sounding albums as far as audio quality and sonics. But based on what Giles Martin (George martin's son) did on the Sgt Pepper and White Album 50th anniversary discs, I could not resist. These two remixes are excellent, especially Sgt Pepper; it sounds like a whole new album.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I remember listening to a live radio program interview with George Harrison. He started performing HCTS, but immediately noticed the sound engineer had added reverb. He stopped singing and said he didn't need it, then started again. He didn't.

I think Lennon is the only Beatle to lean on reverb, and he did it in a big way.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
I'm not a huge music/Beatles fan, but this is one of the coolest interviews ever. Take a few minutes and watch, even if you are not a huge fan...

I love that video. Can you imagine being one of the people in that pub? Talk about winning the lottery, oh man...

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
As more time goes by, the more my appreciation for George’s work....

I am probably in the minority, but the timelessness of Something, Here Comes the Sun and While My Guitar Gently Weeps, along with his guitar, makes Harrison the second most talented Beatle behind Paul for my taste.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I pre ordered the 2 disc set from Amazon, arrives tomorrow. I always thought Abbey Road was one of the Beatles better sounding albums as far as audio quality and sonics. But based on what Giles Martin (George martin's son) did on the Sgt Pepper and White Album 50th anniversary discs, I could not resist. These two remixes are excellent, especially Sgt Pepper; it sounds like a whole new album.

IIRC, Alan Parsons was the engineer on Abbey Road.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
I had a good friend who died many moons past He died after a long winter of illness and wanted this song played at his service...Took on a whole new meaning every time I have heard it sense.

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whilst sailing hither an yon across the Tonkin gulf, the Air Boss would play "Here Comes the Sun" over the flight deck PA system at dawn every morning, if flight ops were not ongoing. Witnessed some spectacular dawns, always made me smile.

Posts: 428 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Abbey Road is their best album, in my quite humble opinion. The whole catalogue will be heard 200 years from now, I foresee.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
They are one of my favorite groups.

My wife bought tickets to a Beatles tribute band show later this month. I believe they will play the entire Abbey Road album. Not the Beatles, but I think the live performance will be a good time.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Saw one of their tribute bands in Vegas years ago, they were pretty good.

Saw McCartney in concert a couple years ago. That was really awesome!

Pre-ordered my box set and it will be here tomorrow. Going to spend some time over the weekend listening to it. I also have the Sgt Pepper and White Album anniversary sets. I enjoy listening to the outtakes, gives a glimpse to how the song evolves. I would say Abbey Road is my second favorite behind the White Album. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window made me want to play the electric guitar.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post