SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Now I'm looking for a new computer monitor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now I'm looking for a new computer monitor Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I was looking for a new monitor for my fresh computer. I thought I had settled on LG 32" 4K UHD FreeSync Monitor (model #32UK50T) but some of the reviews state that for computer use I should be looking at an IPS monitor rather than this one which is VA. So, once again I am asking for your advice on a monitor.

I use this computer mostly for recording screen captures and editing video. I also use it for other general household computing (internet and finances). I do a little bit of programming and audio recording as well. I will be mounting it on the wall to save desk space.

With all of that in mind, which monitor do you recommend. I don't want to spend more than $300, if possible, but would also like a decent size. 27-32" seems about correct. Built in speakers would be a bonus. I'm also open to dual monitor setups.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
i'm interested as well as:

1) I know very little about some of this tech

2) I need a new iMac at home and I am considering the new mini-mac which does not come with its own monitor.

0:01

Posts: 4213 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Check Woot

They have all kinds, sizes etc.

I've picked up two from them both work great.

https://www.woot.com/category/...?ref=w_cnt_cdet_pc_5

Posts: 23505 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
i'm interested as well as:

1) I know very little about some of this tech

2) I need a new iMac at home and I am considering the new mini-mac which does not come with its own monitor.
I was reading reviews for the monitor that I listed above and it mentioned that being Vertical Alignment that the colors vary across the wide screen due to the lack of viewing angle. They're not so great for computer monitors, I guess. I do think that I am probably looking for an In-Plane Switching monitor that has a much wider viewing angle and I don't care that the blacks aren't the blackest of black. As long as the contrast is good enough and the color is consistent across the monitor, I'll be good.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
There are advantages for each but mostly affects gamers.
For just video editing or regular use not so much.

TN vs IPS vs VA

Posts: 22926 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you were needing larger and wanted to spend more money, this would work. I'm considering this for my needs. It's probably a bit too much though.

https://www.samsung.com/us/com...itor-lc49g95tssnxza/

Posts: 589 | Location: Alexandria, LA | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple of these ultra wide LGs sprinkled around, and everyone who sees it ends up buying one for the large (effectively double)screen, ability to manipulate screen splits and sizes and overall performance.

A tad over your price points but perhaps an open box one comes up? Never mind - looked and out of box with minor cosmetic defect is only ~$20 less. Not worth if for that, I'd go new.

LG 34" ultrawide

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I've got a couple of these ultra wide LGs sprinkled around, and everyone who sees it ends up buying one for the large (effectively double)screen, ability to manipulate screen splits and sizes and overall performance.

A tad over your price points but perhaps an open box one comes up? Never mind - looked and out of box with minor cosmetic defect is only ~$20 less. Not worth if for that, I'd go new.

LG 34" ultrawide
Nice. The 29" version is $249.

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I doubt you will find a 4K IPS monitor in that size very close to your price range.

The "Ultrawide" curved monitors in your price range may disappoint, the one I tried (a Samsung 32" model) sure disappointed me.

Bigger screen but less resolution - the one suggested above is 2560x1080 and 32" diagonal.

Sharpness and clarity (or lack thereof) can greatly increase eyestrain. After dreams of ultra wide curved, I ended up with a 16:9 2560x1440 27" IPS monitor. 35% more vertical resolution and in a 16:9 format, the horizontal pixels ar not spread out so far resulting in lack of detail.

It is a great monitor and still in use after 4 years. It has since been discontinued, but here is the current model:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c..._u2719d_27_16_9.html

$402 - Sharp, crisp and easy on the eyes. No speakers, but those are a cheap add on and you'll end up with better sound for less money.

Cheaper version is $338, looks like the screen specs are the same, just fewer inputs/outputs:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c..._27_qhd_monitor.html

Bigger monitors with fewer pixels will appear distorted and blurry. If you spend a lot of time on it, it will annoy you quickly.

My suggestion is either reduce size and get a higher resolution monitor or increase budget and get quality in the size you are looking for.

IPS or VA depends on you, I would avoid TN as it is the oldest LCD tech out there and colors/contrast are very lackluster. My preference is IPS. Of course it also depends on what your use is. If you are just web surfing or watching youtube videos, the cheaper UW monitor may be fine.

I do photo editing and the importance of color and sharpness can't be overstated.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10945 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
There are advantages for each but mostly affects gamers.
For just video editing or regular use not so much.

very true.

these days I just make sure the monitor has the input connector I want, and I'm good.

The last monitor I bought has USB-C as an input. Works very well. But it also has HDMI and others if I ever need it.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
How old is your puter? We just bought a new Dell and realized it could not connect to old monitor. Different connections and ports. Connections are now HDMI

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
How old is your puter? We just bought a new Dell and realized it could not connect to old monitor. Different connections and ports. Connections are now HDMI
about 4 weeks old.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
It doesn't have to be 32" or 4k that's just the one that I picked at Sam's Club for $299.

The monitor will be about 3.5' from my head but I can bring it closer with the wall mount.

I'm not decided on widescreen.

Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
The LG ultrawides are fantastic. I use a 34” 1440 at work and am adding the 29” 1080 for home use.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
Do you care about color accuracy? Put another way, are you editing videos for a job or for fun?

In general, IPS will be capable of more consistent colors, but VA will have darker blacks. Most serious video and photo production monitors are IPS. TN’s claim to fame is its really fast refresh rates.

You can usually save some money by finding a monitor that only does 60hz or 75hz refresh rate. Faster than that, and they are targeting gamers. Dell’s ultra sharp line are excellent, but most of those will start around $350. Take a look at the Ultrasharp U2719D. It is 1440p rather than 4K, but I think you will like it.

Here is the bottom line on monitors: there are basically 3 or 4 companies that make the vast majority of LCD panels for computer monitors. Samsung, LG, and AU Optronics are three of the biggest. Most monitors you see are just buying panels from one of them. So, the difference between a cheap monitor and a more expensive one isn’t necessarily the quality of the panel. You are really paying for good quality control and support, not cheaping out on all the other parts besides the panel, and software and factory calibration.

If you really want to, you can often look up what panel any given monitor is using, and see other monitors that use the same panel. Sometimes it is interesting to see a ‘good’ monitor and a ‘bad’ one both use the same panel. It just means one company knew what the hell they were doing and made sure they didn’t send out crap, and the other didn’t!

EDIT: oh, and while they tend to focus on monitors for gaming, the YouTube channel Hardware Unboxed does a decent job of reporting on color accuracy and factory calibration for the monitors they review. Might be worth watching a video or two of theirs just to see if you care about any of the stuff they look at.

- Bret

Posts: 2467 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I bought two LG 27” on a Black Friday special at BB for $269 each.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/l...9956.p?skuId=6329956

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12645 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
In the reviews on the monitor in my first post above, it was specifically stated that even for programming the variation in the black across the screen was too extreme and caused eye strain. I do use dark themes in programming and laying out circuits and that's why I'm thinking that VA won't work. I'm glad I came across those reviews as it specially applies to me. Strangely Sam's club has that monitor listed as IPS on the display. Good thing I dug deeper.

I'll check out the lg ultra wide and the Dell listed above. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JasonEuc:
The LG ultrawides are fantastic. I use a 34” 1440 at work and am adding the 29” 1080 for home use.

I’ve got an LG 34” 1440P ultra wide and love it. It’s a gaming version with a 144hz refresh so it was a bit spendy, but it’s fantastic in every way.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I have dual THESE at work and they are solid. They are IPS. Mine are actually probably the generation before this, as they are about 3 years old now. Still excellent picture, clarity, and brightness.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10492 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I have dual THESE at work and they are solid. They are IPS. Mine are actually probably the generation before this, as they are about 3 years old now. Still excellent picture, clarity, and brightness.
Those look like what I'm after. Thanks.