SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trip recommendations: Denver to Mt.Rushmore to Yellowstone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trip recommendations: Denver to Mt.Rushmore to Yellowstone Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Did a tour of Yellowstone last summer. Had a good time. Strongly recommend the "gipsyguide" iPhone app for touring Yellowswtone (or any National Park). The thing is an app for a smart phone at a cost of about $10. Uses gps and provides a talking tour and directions while driving through the park. Greatly enhanced the driving tour experience. Try it. You will not be disappointed.

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
My least favorite part of the Black Hills is Rushmore, but ya gotta go.

I'm in agreement, I found Rushmore very underwhelming and couldn't wait to get out. I did a 3-week trip visiting all the Nat'l Parks and historical hot spots around WY, MT and both Dakotas...Rushmore I spent the least amount of time. The parking lots were full of self-important drivers and, completely unaware pedestrians. It's quite the sculpture but, that's it. Devil's Tower, Wind Cave, Badlands I felt were more interesting and worthwhile visits.

Other spots, Little Big Horn Battlefield, I think I spent more time, read up on the events, printed a couple of maps, all while doing it in June. Could not imagine dealing with the heat/humidity while wearing woolen uniforms back then.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Some big decisions about the route west towards Yellowstone. I would never discourage anyone from seeing the Little Bighorn Battle Site, it’s sacrosanct, and as I’ve said before in the forum, it’s more special because the are so many views at Little Bighorn that are largely unchanged in the 143 years since the battle. Still, you admitted your time is limited.

Consider driving east to west across Wyoming through either Shell (northernmost), or Ten Sleep Canyons. Both are incredibly beautiful—much more so than interstate highway across southern Montana (even if that get you to Little Bighorn).

I lean towards Ten Sleep Canyon (Highway 16) over Shell, but then you miss Shell Falls. It really is a toss up; you can’t go, wrong either way.

I know that Bear Tooth Pass is iconic. I guess I’m odd man out. I feel like there are many mountain passes in the West, as beautiful (or more beautiful) than Bear Tooth. Lots of time above timberline, snow, ice, and rock.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Rushmore/Deadwood. Devils Tower, of course. Little Bighorn is nearby and Pompey's Pillar if you're into history.

Also, as I tell anyone who will Listen, see the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, Wyo. It is a world-class institution with a fantastic collection covering the America Wild West.

Wild Bill Hickok's Colts - BBHC

Cow Boy Fun - BBHC

The Story of the Devil's Tower

Deadwood

George Custer's West Point Jacket- LBH Nat'l Battlefied

From the BBHC: Sitting Bull's tomahawk and his
personal depiction of the Little Bighorn fight.

Sitting Bull's Tomahawk- BBHC- Cody

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
If you need hostory, its easy to get over towards Scotts Bluff and the Oregon Trail.

Wyo

You could return through the Tetons and back to Cheyenne. Wyo is a wonderful place to be.

Chimmney Rock on the Oregon trail

Buffalo Bill's Lodge in Sheridan.
Sheridan Inn-Sheridan Wyoming

Sheridan

YEE-Haw

The Irma built by Buffalo Bill and named after his daughter in Cody, Wyo.

Hotel Irma

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank You all!! That's a mighty fine list to try and conquer. I promise we will do our best, as we have, every time we've been out West.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
A week isn't going to be enough. We spent a week in just Yellowstone and didn't see all of it. As to things to do and see, Yellowstone is full of them. Old Faithful is a must, and also the canyon/waterfalls. We really enjoyed hiking in the Lamar valley and watching the wildlife, as well as walking through many of the smaller hot springs areas. The park is huge, so it takes some time to travel around from spot to spot. We camped, and it was very busy and hard to find available sites. If you know the days you're going to be there, I'd be making reservations now, whether you plan to camp or stay in hotels. Unless you plan to stay in the park itself, plan for long drives in and out every day...the drives are scenic, though, and you'll get to see wildlife.

Heading over towards Rushmore, Devil's Tower is worth the stop. I was skeptical at first, but it was a really relaxing, peaceful place and fun to hike around. We found a trail away from the tower on the north side that offered some fantastic views. The campground there was nice, too, with nowhere near the crowds of Yellowstone.

South Dakota is fantastic. I could give or take Rushmore...but the drive up Iron Mountain road is pretty memorable. Custer State Park is pretty cool...take the wildlife loop and you'll get to see buffalo for sure. Then again, you'll have seen plenty in Yellowstone.

Last summer we really enjoyed the Sylvan Lake area...we did some swimming, hiked to Harney (renamed Black Elk) peak, and did another hike called Sunday Gulch that was literally through a waterfall. The kids loved it. We did get hailed on one night in the campground...lightning hit a tree a few sites over and set it on fire. That was a less than enjoyable experience, but our little trailer weathered it well. Thankfully we had a non-electric site because many folks who were plugged in had stuff get fried that night.

We spent a couple if days at Hannah Campground above Spearfish Canyon, too. That was a cool place, too. The creek ran right behind out site, and the kids loved playing in it, even though it was freezing cold. Amazingly clear water, and you could watch the trout swimming around from the bank. It was quiet and relaxing. Most of the hiking trails in Spearfish were a little over-developed and tame for our taste, but we did find one that lead to the "devil's bathtub", which involved hiking up the creek about half a mile to a natural slide/waterfall that we slid down and swam in the pool.

You probably don't have time on this trip, but the Badlands are worth spending some time in as well. If you get up early and drive/hike through them, there's all sorts of wildlife. We saw mountain goats, owls, prarie dogs, buffalo, bighorn sheep, and even got to watch coyotes stalk some antalope one morning.

There's a lot of cool cold war military stuff in the area, too. There's a missile silo off the interstate east of Wall, and you can sign up for a tour of one of the launch command facilities at the visitor center. The South Dakota Air and Space Museum is pretty decent, too.

It's an awesome part of the country, and I'm sure that after spending a week there you'll find yourself wanting to go back and see more.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
Wind Cave National Park is small and not well known. Take a tour of the cave. It's well worth it.

My wife and I did this back right after we got married and got some nasty Eurotrash tourists arrested for stealing rocks out of the cave. It was pretty great.

I'd also second the Irma when you get to Cody. My wife and I usually eat there when we visit her parents (they live in that area) and the prime rib is pretty good.

Avoid the Indian Reservations. Pine Ridge is hell on earth.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 380Swift:
Wind Cave National Park is small and not well known. Take a tour of the cave. It's well worth it.

My wife and I did this back right after we got married and got some nasty Eurotrash tourists arrested for stealing rocks out of the cave. It was pretty great.

I'd also second the Irma when you get to Cody. My wife and I usually eat there when we visit her parents (they live in that area) and the prime rib is pretty good.

Avoid the Indian Reservations. Pine Ridge is hell on earth.
I did Wind Cave back in 1962. I enjoyed it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
To maximize your trip, budget a down day in one of the cities (Cody?) where you can recharge your batteries and rest your body. This one down day may afford you more days in the parks.

If you stop in Cody, get over to here:

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/

Like the others have said, you could spend a month on that route and not see it all.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Do be aware that the Cody firearms museum is doing a major redo. So some of it is closed, being renovated. I think it's a full opening some time in early July. Check the website.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
+1 Scott’s Bluff side trip, you’ll see the deep cut path through a pass, wagon ruts if you will. Alternatively travel past Independence Rock in Wyoming it’s a “high holy sight” sort of thing for LDS church they had a Donner Pass experience there. The interpretive center is worth the stop, wife and I spent a couple hours there and at the rock itself.

Redbud and the Badlands NP is a great route into the Blackhills. Consider a National Park season pass if you do get into Badlands NP you’ll get a few uses out of it.

Consider the lodge in Custer State Park it’s a nice rustic style structure with a great restaurant inside. As for Mt Rushmore the night view is great, plus fireworks and a speaker. It lets you do more during the daylight.

Little Bighorn is a worthy stop, but with limited time I can understand bypassing if the story doesn’t touch you.

Yellowstone deserves about a month . Figure 2 days of driving, to see YSNP. Then add however much time you want to spend walking and observing. The landscape is much like the Blackhills so don’t feel bad if you speed through that area a bit.

You’ll have precious little time to tarry, as there is so much to see and the distances so great.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
We stayed in Deadwood for 3 nights last June and did Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park and Crazy Horse by car in one day...in that order. I don't feel like we shortchange any of those sights in doing that.

We loved The Black Hills and would love to go again. Driving to Yellowstone from there would have been more than we bargained for. Also, I am told that Old Faithful ain't all that...

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
As one who has officially "been all over that area", I can say that living a summer in Yellowstone and visiting the area repeatedly has only allowed me to brush the surface.

Here's a roads-condition link:

https://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/detailed.shtml

US-212

BEARTOOTH HIGHWAY - WYOMING STATE LINE TO VISTA POINT
BEARTOOTH PASS CLOSED FOR SEASON

BEARTOOTH HIGHWAY - VISTA POINT TO LOWER GATE
BEARTOOTH PASS CLOSED FOR SEASON

US-212 is one of my favorites.

Full resolution: https://americantoolbox.files....t-montana-us-212.jpg

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't add anything to what forum members have posted but YOU.ARE.GOING.TO.HAVE.A.GREAT.TRIP! Enjoy, and make sure your camera is working. Post'em up when you get back.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Haven't read the whole thread, but if you time, you you can drive through Rocky Mountain National Park. It's pretty much right on your way from Denver up to Wyoming. Perhaps hit it on your way back. You can enter the park through Estes Park, on the East, and exit West and drive back south to Berthoud pass and I70. You could check our Red Rocks or Boulder for example coming back that way too.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Mt. Rushmore - Hit the Lighting Ceremony - 8-9 PM.
Truly the best of the best.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post