SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fishy story: Fishermen Caught Cheating Update on page 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fishy story: Fishermen Caught Cheating Update on page 2 Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Assholes got greedy stuffing too much weights in the fish, got caught red handed! Roll Eyes

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...ed-lead-weights.html

Caught hook, line and sinker! Moment LEAD WEIGHTS are found in professional fishing duo's catch and they are stripped of tournament title and $5,000 prize - as furious crowd berates them

By JAMES GORDON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 21:22 EDT, 1 October 2022 | UPDATED: 23:37 EDT, 1 October 2022

Two fishermen were caught cheating in a fishing tournament to make their catches seem heavier by stuffing them with weights.

Chase Cominsky from Pennsylvania and Jake Runyon from Ohio were taking part in the Lake Erie Walleye Trail Championship in Cleveland's Gordon Park in Ohio on Friday when they were caught red-handed.

Cominsky and Runyon's catch weighed almost 33lbs (15kg) - almost double their closest competitor.

Tournament director Jason Fischer then decided to gut the fish, at which point the duo's cheating was exposed.

Inside each of the fish were several lead balls, deliberately designed to add pounds to the pair's catch and thus secure the title and accompanying $5,000 prize money.

'We got weights in fish!' Fischer announced to the gathered crowd who quickly turned angry.

Questions are now being raised about other tournaments the pair have won in the past. They have already claimed several first-place prizes and earned a considerable sum of money in various LEWT events including the 2021 championship.

The duo scored the top catch in last year's Lake Erie Fall Brawl and attempted to claim the $100,000 prize but were disqualified.

Suspicions were first aroused in the final moments of the tournament when the anglers' catch had to be weighed in which their five heaviest fish of the day were to be placed on the scales.

There was outrage from onlookers who demanded answers, with some threatening to call the police.

The duo allegedly stuffed the objects down the throats of the fish in order to bulk up their weight and improve their standing in the tournament.

Alongside the lead weights were also slices of other fish fillets pieced of which had been stuffed into the body of the catch, once again to increase their weight.

The dramatic discovery was filmed and posted to social media. Runyon is asked on video if has anything to say for himself but remains silent throughout.

The pair have now been called out as 'cheaters' on the Lake Erie Walleye Trail Championship official Facebook event page and will be banned from all future tournaments.

'Disgusted guys and gals, I'm sorry for letting you down for so long and I'm glad I caught cheating taking place in YOUR LEWT at the same time.

'I can't think enough to post results, but congrats Tsczyko and French and TOY Hendricks and Ulmer. Same goes to the yak and open winners. I hope you know now that when I say "you built this LEWT and I will defend its integrity at all costs", I mean it.'

At the time, the director of the tournament did not explain why other than to say one of the men failed a polygraph test.

Runyon protested saying how the fish had been caught by following the rules and that they were innocent. He even secured legal counsel in an attempt to sue for their 'winnings' according to the Toledo Blade.

At another event, the Rossford Walleye Roundup in Ohio, several competitors shared their suspicions that the pair's fish 'looked old' and may have been stashed away prior to the start of the event.

Following the event, the pair decided not to donate their catch to a local food bank as most of the other fisherman proceeded to do.

The organizers of these previous tournaments may now be weighing up the options of taking legal action against the pair for alleged fraud and deceptive practices.

Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFnByQCDjz0

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
For once, a cheater didn't win.

It should be felony fraud.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Can’t see why the DA wouldn’t prosecute.

Posts: 5722 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheaters getting caught in tournaments has been going on since the early 70's.

One fella and his buddy went out the day before caught six fish and kept four of them in a chicken wire pen over night.

Yes they won the tourney, a while three hundred dollars.

But a witness took four other club members to the cage.

After returning the winnings and trophy's, they were banned for a year.
Get this,

There were only 19 members in the bass club and only ten showed up to that tourney.

Morons

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Wow. That was an incredible scene. There used to be a time when cheaters like that were dealt with in a most prejudicial manner rather than just have insults and swears thrown at them.

I would expect there must be some law for defrauding the tournament that they will be prosecuted for.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Why? I don’t understand. It’s fishing. How low is one’s self worth and identity to be compelled to cheat in a fishing tournament?

It like cheating at checkers playing against the neighbor’s five year old kid.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Tar and feathers would have gotten their attention.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Why? I don’t understand. It’s fishing. How low is one’s self worth and identity to be compelled to cheat in a fishing tournament?

Money is involved. They likely have been getting away with it for a while, until now.

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picture of konata88
posted October 02, 2022 02:56 PM Hide Post
Why? I don’t understand. It’s fishing. How low is one’s self worth and identity to be compelled to cheat in a fishing tournament

If it's a sanctioned event,
Points are added up over the whole season.

With enough points you may qualify for a regional or state tourney.
( Nice money)

On the off chance you go to a national event.
( Not likely at all )

Very very big money and sponsorship money.

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where there's money to be won, there's some cheatin to be done!

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3522 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
If there's profit to be made, there will be cheaters. It is sad to see this in a sport that heretofore was just a bunch of guys (and I guess I should say gals), having fun doing the thing they love.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I see. It’s not just the $5000 prize.

Still, I don’t get it. I could never cheat doing something I love doing.

I’m guessing these guys don’t really love fishing. They are just in it for the money.

Corrupting what you love doesn’t seem like love.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m guessing these guys don’t really love fishing. They are just in it for the money.

They won $300k last year + a $150k boat, there’s plenty of money at stake.

Posts: 2323 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I get it. But I wouldn’t consider them fishermen or fishing enthusiasts. Just greedy hustlers.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

What is there to get? They are fishermen, and they cheat. There have always been con artists, crooks and cheaters around.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Did they violate any actual laws ?

Posts: 4044 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Did they violate any actual laws ?

Yes, Fraud

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of scumbags Mad

I saw something on Reddit that these guys may have won over $500,000 in prizes and money in previous years, so you know they were probably doing it all along.

Posts: 33749 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now there are high schools with Bass Fishing teams and tourneys that compete against each other.

I don't know about their prize money

posted Hide Post
There are rules in most sanctioned tourneys that you can't have bigger motors on your boat than the registration allows.

So people were buying metal boat tags from others to put 175 motors on their 150 boats.

And

They would peel the 175 decals off of their motors and put 200 decals on their motors.