SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NYC Targets Coal And Wood Fire Pizza Ovens In Global Climate War
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYC Targets Coal And Wood Fire Pizza Ovens In Global Climate War Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
NYC Targets Coal And Wood Fire Pizza Ovens In Global Climate War
BY PHIL STILTON
JUNE 28, 2023

NEW YORK, NY – City officials have announced they will be requiring pizzerias with coal and wood fired ovens to cut their carbon emissions by up to 75%.

That could possibly mean an end to delicious coal-fired and wood-fired pizza across the city if the restaurant ovens can’t comply with the city’s new strict climate demands.

Accirdubg ti DCNF, Fox News host Jesse Watters and “pizza-slinger” protester Scott LoBaido ripped Democratic Mayor Eric Adams of New York City Tuesday over his proposal to ban certain pizza ovens.

The New York City Department of Environmental Protection proposed requiring wood and coal-fired pizza ovens installed before 2016 to have emission control devices, according to the New York Post. LoBaido went viral after video of him emerged throwing slices of pizza while protesting the proposed regulation at New York City’s city hall.

Sponsored Content
Recommended by

Even pizza guru Dave Portnoy got in on the fight against the coal and wood fire pizza regulations.

Portnoy ripped a ‘pink-haired liberal’ who he said had to be behind the decision to ban coal and wood fired ovens in the city.

Some of New York City’s most popular pizzerias use those ovens.

“All New Yorkers deserve to breathe healthy air and wood and coal-fired stoves are among the largest contributors of harmful pollutants in neighborhoods with poor air quality,” DEP spokesman Ted Timbers said in a statement. “This common-sense rule, developed with restaurant and environmental justice groups, requires a professional review of whether installing emission controls is feasible.”

The potential regulation may necessitate pizzerias that have ovens installed before May 2016 to purchase expensive emission-control devices. One owner of a pizzeria in Brooklyn has already invested $20,000 in an air filter system, anticipating the implementation of this new requirement.

Maintaining and operating under the new regulations would cost pizza makers tens of thousands for compliance and thousands of dollars annually for maintenance and upkeep.

https://www.shorenewsnetwork.c...-global-climate-war/

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8360 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
https://twitter.com/stoolpresi.../1673461233230442497

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8910 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
This effin' state.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So they’ve resolved all the issues of people being stabbed and assaulted in broad daylight? The people being pushed off of subway platforms to their deaths? Good to hear they’ve got time to work on this ultra important problem and got all those other issues taken care of. Roll Eyes

I guarantee you China belches out more smoke and carbon in five minutes than all NYC pizzerias combined would in 100 years.

Posts: 33824 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Seems like NYC should ban automobile usage inside the city- they produce far more emissions than any pizzeria ever could. See what that gets them.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15596 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Seems like NYC should ban automobile usage inside the city- they produce far more emissions than any pizzeria ever could. See what that gets them.

I just saw that they are going to congestion pricing in midtown Manhattan, or it was approved to move forward.

So only the wealthy will be able to travel around by car in that section of the city now the rest of us plebes will have to pay dearly for the privilege.

This new Governor is a real piece of work:

New York Gov. Hochul touts NYC as first U.S. city to move forward with traffic congestion pricing

Posts: 33824 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Lets be honest here, this is just another tax veiled under 'clean air'.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37977 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

I just saw that they are going to congestion pricing in midtown Manhattan, or it was approved to move forward.

So only the wealthy will be able to travel around by car in that section of the city now the rest of us plebes will have to pay dearly for the privilege.

This new Governor is a real piece of work:

New York Gov. Hochul touts NYC as first U.S. city to move forward with traffic congestion pricing

Lets be honest here, this is just another tax veiled under 'clean air'.

I know New Yorker's love their pizza, I wonder how much people will push back when they realize the government is trying to outlaw good tasting pizza in an absolutely pathetic attempt to curb this BS carbon emission thing.

I find this amusing as the city of New York is so terrified that a few hundred, or perhaps thousand wood fired pizza ovens are going to have a dramatic impact on the environment when I've had to stay inside the last few days because the Air Quality Index for my area has been close to 300 due to the fires in Canada.

I wonder when people will wake up and realize the Global Climate War is really a war on you.

343 - Never Forget

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37977 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
War on climate change. Like the war on Drugs. The war on Terror.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8360 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:

“All New Yorkers deserve to breathe healthy air and wood and coal-fired stoves are among the largest contributors of harmful pollutants in neighborhoods with poor air quality,” DEP spokesman Ted Timbers said in a statement. “This common-sense rule, developed with restaurant and environmental justice groups, requires a professional review of whether installing emission controls is feasible.”

One of the things these people are good at is making claims but never showing actual proof of their claims. "One of the largest contributors of harmful pollutants..." - Really? Show me the research, sir. We'd like to "follow the science" of your statement, including the anticipated reduction of pollutants as a result of implementing this rule.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
^^^ you have to trust the science, it's what we tell you it is.

343 - Never Forget

Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Right now Canadian wildfires are affecting my life way more than a few hundred pizza ovens.

Ban wildfires.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 719 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Won't be long they'll be after your smokers and ceramic egg grills, no more lump charcoal!

Won't matter anyway, they already cleared the development, distribution and sale of "fake meat", Link Soylent Green baby!

Posts: 23476 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
common-sense rule & justice groups

You know when these two terms are brought up that it's utter bullshit.

But isn't this what New Yorkers voted for? I'm fine with that, just stay out of Florida, we don't want you down here.

Posts: 13127 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Okay I have to ask, does the city even know how many of these ovens even exist.

Is this even an issue compared to all the cars,busses and trucks that are in the city every day.

This will be just one of many issues that will drive people from the city never to return.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
This will be just one of many issues that will drive people from the city never to return.

Yep.
New York City is heavily dependent on the rich (few) who pay the majority of taxes there. They continue to drive them away.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24129 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
Right now Canadian wildfires are affecting my life way more than a few hundred pizza ovens.

Ban wildfires.

Came in here to say exactly this. We've been getting choked out here for days because the freaking neighbors to the north can't figure out how to put water on a fire. For the amount of smoke we're getting down here (and we're hundreds of miles away), the whole country must be on fire!

I know this is pretty normal stuff for those who live out west, but I've never seen anything like it here. There's no way any amount of pizza ovens, or even industrial factories, can have a measurable impact compared to what this act of nature has caused.

Posts: 8581 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Not defending Hochul, I think that she's a real piece of crap, but here's something from the article you linked:
quote:
Residents of those neighborhoods who make less than $60,000 will be eligible for a state tax credit. The act also requires that overnight toll rates be lower than peak costs and that a discount be available to low-income drivers.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30693 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that what I was saying just the other day

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/6330076105

Posts: 22916 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
According to dailymail, Chicago currently has the worst air quality of any major city in the world. And the Dems are worried about pizza ovens Roll Eyes.

quote:
Chicago is currently ranked as the worst city, with an air quality of 166, while Washington DC takes the third spot with a reading of 151.

Minneapolis is currently recording an air quality of 111, Detroit is just below it with 107 and New York City follows with a reading of 98.

According to an online calculator created via Berkeley University, it was found that an AQI score of 64 translates to one cigarette smoked in a 24-hour period.

Based on those calculations, people in Chicago are currently smoking 2.5 cigarettes every day due to the smoke.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...-quality-alerts.html

Posts: 8581 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post