SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The new "US quarter.. Edited..
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The new "US quarter.. Edited.. Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
Sad to find out things like this on the left leaning BBC. Of all the notable people to commenarate, the "female" US treasurer issues the activist Maya Angelou.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59946929

I edited the heading. Perhaps my choice of words in both heading and text was incorrect based on comments. Lo siento.
My bad.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I'm glad the racist quarter has now been redeemed.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
We should just put Obama on all our currency and coins. The leftists would love that because it would embrace their leader and it would be woke.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, prices are up and shelves are bare… but hey, progress.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prostitute turned crappy poet? But I guess some boxes were checked.

Posts: 17 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I didn't know her but my brother knew her fairly well while he was in Hollywood. He had nothing but kind words to say about her and how her counsel had help mold his life.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4235 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maya Angelou

Not sure I seek "woke" in this. She rose from abject poverty, was an accomplished performer, poet, and author, and an ICON to the Black community. I don't see anything that offends me about the coin.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
I don't see "wokeness", as much as there is "diversity".

It's the first of five quarters issued for 2022 as part of a four year "American Women Quarters" program.

Sally Ride is the next quarter to be issued, then 3 other women I don't recognize, but they are American Indian, Hispanic, and Asian, in that order.

So maybe some wokeness, because there has to be diversity. Or is it equity? Or both? Cool

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Have we gotten to the point where you guys are calling everything you don't like "woke"...

Cause I think there is irony in that.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6335 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
In an effort to increase D-I-V-E-R-S-I-T-Y ~ Donald J Trump should be added to Mount Rushmore. Smile

Posts: 22929 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I like the Sally Ride coin. But I think Christa McAuliffe is more worthy.

Of course we all know why Sally was chosen. Another highly accomplished individual dumbed down to her immutable characteristics.

ETA: Actually, a series of the entire Challenger crew would be fitting.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lurking for years!
Picture of Vegas_Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
quote:
Maya Angelou

Not sure I seek "woke" in this. She rose from abject poverty, was an accomplished performer, poet, and author, and an ICON to the Black community. I don't see anything that offends me about the coin.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ agree ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dave
Not a Newbie! Posting on rare occasions, but lurking for years!

Posts: 585 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cannot remember using a quarter for anything except when the washer broke and I had to go to the laundromat.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'm fine with it as long as it's still worth $0.25.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Maya Angelou? Isn't she that "poet" of the left who didn't write all the poems she is credited for?

The "Professor" at a NC College who never taught a class and whos office was literally a broom closet with her nameplate on the door? Shes back again? Makes sense. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Oprah just adores her, so I'm ok with it Roll Eyes

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8378 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer dead Presidents on my coins.

Posts: 2488 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:

Same

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
How big an egomaniac do you have to be to write 7 autobiographies?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:

On American circulating coins, I prefer the Head of LIBERTY, such as those on coins issued in the 19th and early 20th Century, along with good coin silver for the metallic content.

Using the profiles of Presidents smacks of monarchy and the Cult of the Leader. It’s been all about “conditioning” the populace for seeing BIGGOV as the “giver” of benefits, instead of the being the “taker” of Freedom.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2705 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post