SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ULA Not Having a Good Few Days
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ULA Not Having a Good Few Days Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
...it's pretty much on NG, since they built the sat and used their separation equipment (normally SpaceX provides that for Satellite providers).

This is not a personal attack on you RHINOWSO, but comments like this drive me nuts. I work at a launch vehicle provider doing analysis work. My speciality is in doing stage separation events, payload separation events, and fairing/shroud separation.

Neither SpaceX or NG are designing and building their own payload separation systems. There are a few companies around the world who specialize in designing and building these systems. You can count them on one hand. If the payload separation system truly did fail, the repercussions will be felt industry-wide because pretty much launch provider uses the same hardware.

Recently, I've been working on predictions for a mission that's due to launch towards the end of this year. The payloads are classified. We have been told very little about the payloads. In fact, we aren't even allowed to know who the manufacturer is. All information flows through what I would describe as a payload liaison. About all we received with any real detail are the mass properties.

The separation system being used on these payloads is one that we are quite familiar with, but the payload manufacturer is providing separation system with the payload. This is not that rare of an occurrence when it comes to classified payloads. The main reason it's done is because it's a few less pieces of information the payload builder has to provide the the launch vehicle provider. When it comes to classified things, there's always the requirement of need to know. This is just one more way of the government being able to compartmentalize classified information. There's a lot less sensitivity in providing the dimensions of a bolt diameter for a commercially available separation system than there would be in providing the bolt locations on the bottom of a classified payload.
I was working under the assumption that the report that NG provided the system in the media was accurate, and it makes perfect sense that neither SpaceX or NG make those systems as you describe, being so specialized.

Personally, I'm all for ULA and SpaceX's continued success (and Blue Origin when they finally get launching their New Glenn).

It obviously seems to be quite a contested / adversarial business area, with ULA proud of their (expensive) success and SpaceX proud of their progress in a relatively short span of time (Falcon 9 has only been launching for 7.5 years) in bringing more reusability and lower cost access to space.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Let’s be honest, how often does the news media really ever get the details of anything correct? Ownership of the payload release mechanism seems to be a rather inflammatory issue in this case, but those in the industry know that it’s really rather insignificant.

My issue with Elon Musk and SpaceX, is in the pricing of their launch vehicles. As was stated in the Zuma thread, he’s not paying his engineers and technicians peanuts. I don’t know how SpaceX can sell their launch services at such seemingly low prices, unless Elon is heavily subsidizing each mission. This is a bit of information we’ll never know until SpaceX becomes a publicly traded company, and that might not do it either.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let’s be honest, how often does the news media really ever get the details of anything correct? Ownership of the payload release mechanism seems to be a rather inflammatory issue in this case, but those in the industry know that it’s really rather insignificant.

My issue with Elon Musk and SpaceX, is in the pricing of their launch vehicles. As was stated in the Zuma thread, he’s not paying his engineers and technicians peanuts. I don’t know how SpaceX can sell their launch services at such seemingly low prices, unless Elon is heavily subsidizing each mission. This is a bit of information we’ll never know until SpaceX becomes a publicly traded company, and that might not do it either.

I hear you - I feel the same frustration when military Aviation threats come up - “It doesn’t WORK that way...”. But that’s the price of working / having worked in a small field doing things people don’t completely understand and you aren’t able to (legally) explain it all to them.

Thanks for explaining what you can.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree Husky. SpaceX isn't required to disclose how much their vehicles really cost like ULA because they are a private company and ULA albeit owned by Boeing and Lockheed have to follow the FAR15 rules of a defense contractor. Musk likes to say his rockets are super cheap but, with close to 5 billion in NASA subsidies are they really as cheap as they claim?

Keep in mind that ULA was formed to save the USG money however, the EELV contract required 2 launch vehicles for redundancy. Maintaining 2 vehicles along with the their respective launch pads is expensive. Once the Vulcan rocket gets up to full production, Delta and Atlas vehicles will cease to exist.

Posts: 398 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
ULA not having a good couple days???

It looks like it’s SpaceX, losing billion $ satellites is the one not having a “good couple of days”

ULA has argued that SpaceX isn’t quite ready for all this and it’s looking like that’s the case.

Posts: 33813 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post