SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Expired fire extinguishers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Expired fire extinguishers Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted
Got an email from a friend I've taken fishing recently. He advised me that they were inspecting boats over at our fishing spot. They were writing tickets for expired fire extinguishers and such. $102 fine. Good thing I checked mine. It is old. They are considered no good after 10-12 years. Guess a trip to purchase a new one is in order. I had to go on the Kidde site to see how to look them up. Its the black serial number as seen in the pick. 05 is the year, 1 is the plant it was manufactured at. Using the last three numbers.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
What do you do w/ the old one? Toss it out the window? Into the lake?

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Choot it!!!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Maybe keep it as a backup?
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Choot it!!!

Can you donate it?
quote:
Choot it!!!

Do they recycle them?
quote:
Choot it!!!

I'm getting mixed messages here. Big Grin

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colorado - Thanks for posting this - My Lowe 16’ aluminum boat is a 2006 model (I bought in 2008) and I just checked my extinguisher - It was charged/activated in 2005 so I will also be ordering or purchasing a new extinguisher in the coming days….

My local Wal-Mart has a marine unit in stock that carries a six year warranty for $23.00 so I will be buying one in the coming days…..

Thanks again for your thread on this topic…

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
Good question. I'll stop by the local very nearby fire station and ask. Maybe they use them for training or such...

sigarmsp226 glad it helped

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Anecdotal here but I bought an older home in 2017 that had a fire extinguisher hanging in the basement doorway that dated from the early 1970’s.

I replaced it of course but wasn’t sure how to dispose of it so I asked a firefighter friend and he advised I place it inside a large, closed contractor size trash bag and discharge it. Wouldn’t you know that sonofabitch fired off as strong as the day it was made? You could just tell how it puffed the bag up and kept firing until empty. ABC dry chemical red canister. Then it got placed into the trash.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
So much we don't know in all this. Most important is what the extinguisher is charged with. Maybe dry chemical does go bad. it seems to harden and has no value when it gets that way. But I need someone to explain why CO2 goes bad in 5 or so years. Even more interesting is why Halon goes bad. Anyone know or want to guess. I'll guess its to help fund the manufacturers. I do know that they recycle halon because it doesn't go bad. Reconcile that with your 5 year deadline.

And are we talking 1201 or 1307? The simple fact is firemen are a pretty simple lot who enjoy simple rules that make little or no sense.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colorado et al: One thing I just noticed. Your extinguisher canister as well as mine is RED in color. Reading on line the red units are not identified as “Marine” extinguishers even though they reflect the required “B” and “C” fire extinguishing chemicals.

The “White” canisters are specifically identified as “Marine” extinguishers. I am going to purchase the white unit as it is only $3.00 more than the red unit as it is clearly marked for Marine use….Not sure it is required but why take the chance fr $3.00.

Not sure they would ticket a boat owner if the unit was current if it was a red unit vs. a white unit….Just thought I would share…

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You can have your fire extinguisher recharged. Usually there is a local business that provides the service.
Here is a business in Northern VA:

https://proteksfire.com/fire-extinguishers/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
Colorado et al: One thing I just noticed. Your extinguisher canister as well as mine is RED in color. Reading on line the red units are not identified as “Marine” extinguishers even though they reflect the required “B” and “C” fire extinguishing chemicals.

The “White” canisters are specifically identified as “Marine” extinguishers. I am going to purchase the white unit as it is only $3.00 more than the red unit as it is clearly marked for Marine use….Not sure it is required but why take the chance fr $3.00.

Not sure they would ticket a boat owner if the unit was current if it was a red unit vs. a white unit….Just thought I would share…

Excellent point. I'll be sure to purchase the correct model. Thx.

FBLM LGB!

posted Hide Post
Some dry chemical extinguishers can be tested and recharged . Some are just throwaways after they expire . It's a good idea to take your extinguisher and invert it , and bump it on the bottom with your hand once a year or so .. Keeps the powder from settling and packing .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
I need to check all of mine also. Don't forget to check dates on any flares you might have and inspect your PFD'S. Some inflatables may have dated components (bobbins and/or CO2 canisters).

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
The dry chem can be use as chimney firebombs.
Just add the dry chem to zip lock baggies and keep for emergencies. You would drop them down into the chimney prior to FD arriving.

Still call 911 (Fire Dept) !!!!!! , this my help save your home.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
FYI, when I was in the CG my first job was checking all the extinguishers on the station and boats. Every week I had to take a rubber mallet to the dry chem and PKP fire bottles and whack them to keep the dry powder loose inside them. The CO2 bottles were weighed to ensure if the bottle leaked (proved by the bottle getting lighter)

The chemicals don’t go bad, the CO2 doesn’t go bad, but the chemicals can clump up and will not be discharged, and the CO2 can leak past a bad valve.

Calling your local FD and asking if they need any old outdated bottles for training can help in your area.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’d use the expired ones for practice for myself and family.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
You can have your fire extinguisher recharged. Usually there is a local business that provides the service.
Here is a business in Northern VA:

https://proteksfire.com/fire-extinguishers/

Testing and recertifying them is more expensive than just replacing them

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:

This entire date of manufacture being only so many years old came from the fact Kidde had a long run of fire extinguishers that were later deemed to be defective.

You don't need to have a marine unit to be legal on the water. Date is usually stamped clear as day on the bottom of the bottle.

If it's a dry chemical fire extinguisher, tip it upside down every 6 months and bang hard on the side of the bottle with the palm of your hand several times. This is to keep the dry chemical from becoming a brick inside and stay a powder.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
You don't need to have a marine unit to be legal on the water. Date is usually stamped clear as day on the bottom of the bottle.

If it's a dry chemical fire extinguisher, tip it upside down every 6 months and bang hard on the side of the bottle with the palm of your hand several times. This is to keep the dry chemical from becoming a brick inside and stay a powder.

But then how would the fish cops be able to harass boaters and generate revenue?

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
If it shows fully charged, put it in your car/truck/van or in the house. Even if you only get a bit out of it if needed, it might be enough.

For god's sake make sure the pin is secured. I had a 5lb dry chem in the back of my SUV for years. One day while moving stuff around the pin must have gotten hooked on something and pulled out (likely the safety tie had broken prior). I moved one more thing and <POOF> I was surrounded in a cloud of yellow powder.

No... it is not fun to clean up
Yes.. it gets everywhere
and... you will find places you didn't know you had.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post