SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Unexpected Visitors Causing Panic At Home Today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unexpected Visitors Causing Panic At Home Today Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted
I bought my house here late in 2012. I'm happy to say that since I have lived here, I have seen exactly one Sheriff's deputy doing his job. One of my neighbors had some missing items and they had stopped by to take a report.

Outside of that I support a few programs they are involved with, and the Sheriff will send one of his guys out to pick up a check. This is not a complaint. We are happy to live in a place that has so little crime that the police can focus their efforts elsewhere.

Today my phone goes off with a tone set for a dedicated emergency line from my home. My girlfriend was home with my daughter when she heard a helicopter flying overhead, looked outside to see a few sheriff's cars racing up the drive, and one of our other alarms alerted her to someone(s) approaching the house. She secured herself and the baby thinking that the police were chasing somebody right outside.

Didn't take long for the cameras to pick up what was really going on. We haven't heard from the neighbors yet, but they had a medical emergency. Due to all of the trees on their property, the pilot set down behind my house on my driveway. We hope all is well, but know that an air evacuation usually means something was serious.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Helo operation in the yard? That's an interesting day!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Many of the air ambulances in the area offer insurance plans which are primarily geared to rural areas where ground response times are less than optimal.

Posts: 7385 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
At least your dirt driveway is now clean for a bit

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Yea, you don't see that every day. Cool

Posts: 7096 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
When they "drop in", they REALLY drop in.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised the town doesn't have dedicated landing zones for medical helicopters.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

And that red Sebring is sandblasted!~

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12672 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope that your neighbor is ok. That is some excitement there.

There is a "Commons" infront of my house, it's one of the dedacated Med Flight landing areas.

At least once a year they and the fire department practice a landing. Needless to say my pup gets worked up!

I have missed the last couple of years, but afew years ago I got a great video of it.

ARman

Posts: 3213 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

hey but its dry! looks to be a little morning dew out there!

Hope your neighbor is ok.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
At least it's not one of those dreaded Black Helicopters landing at zero dark thirty in your yard...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6469 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
I'm surprised the town doesn't have dedicated landing zones for medical helicopters.

Dedicated LZs are good, but a pilot that can set her down anywhere is better.

At least around here, a bird means that the typical 15-30min ground transport to the closest hospital isn't good enough for what's going on. Hardly ever see them for standard medicals, more often for extended extrications (30-45min and up to get the Pt out) in car crashes.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly. He blew off all of the dirty dirt leaving the clean fresh dirt exposed. Big Grin

quote:

I believe I have now become that dedicated zone. There are a lot of fields around here, but not a lot of pavement that's out in the open. We spread enough gravel to allow tractor trailers to get in and out. I run part of my business out of the grey building in the background.

Apparently an area large enough for tractor trailers is attractive for helicopters that also need to get firetrucks and ambulances up close to them. The lack of trees, power lines, and other obstructions were a bonus.

quote:

Good. Maybe this will encourage its owner to park it at their house instead of mine. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I really hope your neighbor is OK, but nothing says Flight for Life quite like an Evel Knievel paint job.

Posts: 11616 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Surfer
posted Hide Post
Cows couldn't care less, just going right on with their lunch.

Posts: 1639 | Location: South East Mo. | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Air Evac is in your area now you need a membership.

Air evac is privately owned and with membership they will transport you during a medical crisis for no out of pocket cost.

I think my yearly membership is about $75

https://lifeteam.net/history-and-mission/

Posts: 1848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
dandelions, haven't seen them in years...

Posts: 24238 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post