SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Recommendation For Law School Graduation Gift
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Recommendation For Law School Graduation Gift Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
My younger grandson is in his final year of law school (Penn State). I'm starting to think about a graduation gift.

What do y'all SIGforum lawyers recommend?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30727 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Of course it depends greatly on budget, as well as personal tastes and what he may already have. A nice pen, either conventional like a Mont Blanc fountain pen, or ball point. Or one of the more modern pens- I’ve seen some machined out of solid titanium, copper, bronze. A briefcase, like a Saddleback Leather. Those are some obvious and perhaps expensive options.

Maybe a piece of art with law or lawyers as the subject. Lady justice desktop sculpture.

Congratulations to him.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I am always a fan of a nice watch to commemorate a milestone. A decent watch will last him a lifetime. I still treasure the one my mother gave me when I graduated.

There are a lot of great watches out there at a variety of price points.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2389 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I typically give a coin minted the year of graduation. Silver if you like them, gold if you really like them. I think I generally use USMint.com.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I echo both of the above suggestions, depending on budget. If you have the money and are willing to spend it, a very nice briefcase (saddleback has several excellent offerings, though their actual “barrister” briefcase is overkill in my opinion) will last him his whole career. If you don’t want to spend that much, a Montblanc rollerball pen would be nice. Skip the fountain pen unless he is already a fountain pen person.

One note on the briefcase - try to find some way to figure out what color he would like. Because some people really don’t like black briefcases and vice versa.

To me, a briefcase from granddad is pretty much the perfect gift. Will last forever, will be used every day, and will just get better with age.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As said, no idea of your budget, but when I graduated law school 43 years ago the nicest and most used gift I received was from my parents, a high end leather attache case. Still have it still use it when I don't need something larger.

A nice watch is also a great suggestion.

Oh, and mazel tov!

Posts: 552 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
I graduated law school in 2000. My father in law gave me a set of tools, ratchets and sockets, 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drives. I use them very often, and he remains on my mind that way, though he is now in Heaven. I recommend tools as the gift.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
A nice portfolio or thin briefcase is nice. There is no need for a large bag any more. Everything is online, and no lawyer I see ever has one of those bags that will put your back out as were common when I started practice, and brought 3 or 4 case files home with me from the office.

A nice pen is a good thing to have, as well, but I find that although I have a number of them, and appreciate fine pens, I am so afraid of losing it when I'm on the road, that they don't get much use, and a Pilot works just fine.

A fine watch is also nice, as pointed out above, but it won't mean much if he decides he needs and Apple Watch, Garmin, or Samsung so that he can keep up to date with messaging without pulling out his phone.

I would avoid technology. It changes too fast to be a meaningful "lifetime event" gift.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
If it’s in budget, a suit watch is a good choice - and frankly there are decent options in almost any budget.

Lots of young professional men wear sports watches, with professional attire, and think it’s OK, because they’re expensive.

To me, I think a lawyer should look like he wants to be in the room, and avoid the “man of action, who happens to be in a suit,” Look.

Briefcases, pens, portfolios etc can be very personal.

Cuff links seem to be coming back in style, in Miami. Maybe a set of those?

It’s not a great family gift, but an ergonomic keyboard and mouse are probably the most useful.

Posts: 5747 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's going to need to start building a rotation of tailored suits. That can be difficult to do when you are starting out. I would start there. It always made me nervous to wear nice watches going through security to get into court.

Posts: 716 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
A quality leather padfolio with a monogram. My aunt, a judge herself, gave me one when I graduated law school and I used it for years. I lost it a few years ago and I’m still pissed about it.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8806 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
A nice pen is always nice to pull out when you sign something although electronic signatures are method court documents are signed.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1569 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
A tailored suit would be nice as would a nice writing instrument, briefcase, or a nice smartphone if he doesn't have a good one.

When my son graduated from law school, he asked for a pistol and got a S&W 9mm.

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
My mother gave me a Blacks Law dictionary. Its big, awkward and stands out. It also got used a lot early on.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zero Halliburton briefcase. My personal attorney has one.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16120 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Good point on the suits. Shoes can also be a bit much, and last a very long time - and having at least 3 pairs will really reduce the wear.

I carry a raw brass space pen, with my name and phone number engraved on it.

It’s very useful, and has gone through the wash et .

Maybe a key smart/some other kind of key holder? (Assuming he’s not habitually wearing a suit)

The other thing I always carry are the small rite in the rain stapled notebooks, which fit in a passport sleeve from Gfeller.

Looks fairly professional and between that and the space pen, I always have a pen and paper to jot down a phone number, etc.

Young people may not need that as much. Not sure.

Mostly, it seems like they say they remember it and use their phone, but actually just don’t track anything.

Posts: 5747 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
A suit or good shoes. A new laptop if solid specs and reasonably durable.

Kids today use backpacks more than briefcases. I’d pick a rolling catalog case over a traditional briefcase for a new grad if they plan to do litigation.

A nice pen is always a good gift but it may turn into something not used, just kept.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
My mother gave me a Blacks Law dictionary. It’s big, awkward and stands out. It also got used a lot early on.

IANAL, but my father was, and of all his books the one I kept, now unfortunately lost, was his copy of Blacks.

Sometimes you just gotta touch paper.

I was also the only detective who went to court with case files in a Saddleback brief case, and got a lot of positive comments from attorneys. I think it sent a subliminal message to the defense bar.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Mt Blanc 149 Diplomat or Louis Vuitton portfolio.
Lifelong remembrance of your thoughtful generosity.
I had both.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A high polished chrome pistol with white or white ish or faux pearl grips.

On on the zippered case it should say
I object

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54694 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post