SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you buy a used car these days?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you buy a used car these days? Login/Join 
I got a Million of 'em!
posted
I’m about to retire my Subaru, actually give it to my son but I’d like to move up into something a little bigger.

I use my car for work and anyone who’s seen my posts in any car thread knows I put a lot of miles on them. My Crosstrek is a ‘15 and has 208K on it right now. I also carry samples daily and need the cargo space.

To that end I’ve decided to probably move into a 4Runner. I’d like a truck but that’s not practical for what I do and the 4Runner is probably the next best thing.

To that end it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me to spend the kind of coin they get for a new one so I’m shopping the used market and prices vary wildly.

The last used car I bought, I purchased at a dealership. I always figured they had a vested interest in making sure the used worked well as an example of the brand.

My buddy swears by the no haggle process at CarMax and Carvanna but do you pay a little more there for that privilege?

I could always wait for the prime private sale but I want to park mine shortly before I pile too many more miles on it.

What’s the best deal in the used market?

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Considering that you drive ~ 50K miles/year, have you considered the increased fuel cost associated with moving from a Crosstrek to a 4Runner? Maybe an Outback (or similar AWD wagon) would meet your needs and be a better choice.... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8910 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
I always get certified Used these days, I’m not going to buy new and lose about 30% value driving it off the lot. They are mechanically sound, and in good condition.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Shop directly from the dealers web sites, the pricing will, for the most part very good. Especially in the Atlanta area, it is a very competitive market.

And don't let a dealer tell you the advertised pricing doesn't include the doc fees, it has to in GA

Posts: 5333 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
My buddy swears by the no haggle process at CarMax and Carvanna but do you pay a little more there for that privilege?

I bought one used car from Carmax and had an excellent experience. There were several similar vehicles at other dealers in my area that were between 2-3 thousand more than Carmax wanted for theirs. Carmax was very pushy about using their financing but their rate was double what my bank was giving me so I told them no, over and over again.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The simple answer is it do your value research (Internet, Blue Book or comparable values of similar on the market) prior on any vehicle you are looking at.
Then and only then can you determine what is a deal or not - it's your responsibility.

Posts: 22918 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you're the type of person who prides yourself on being a tough negotiator and cutting a dealer's profit margin and the salesperson's commission down to the very bone, you could probably get a better price than from "no-haggle" dealers. That's not how I personally roll.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Considering that you drive ~ 50K miles/year, have you considered the increased fuel cost associated with moving from a Crosstrek to a 4Runner? Maybe an Outback (or similar AWD wagon) would meet your needs and be a better choice.... Wink

I don’t mind the increased costs associated with V6s. I’ve used them before. My last car was a V6 Santa Fe that I retired it at 284,000.

I’ve considered the new Forrester, I like those. Honestly, my issue with Subaru right now is the CVT, I just don’t quite trust them to do the miles I need them to do yet. They came back and issued extra warranty on my current one. Ideally I would push it another 50K-100K but now would be a great time to give it to my son and let him put another 20K or so on it over the next few years.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You seem like a good candidate for a CPO car from a dealer. Especially if Toyota offers a fixed term but unlimited mileage CPO - not sure if that’s their deal or not.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12427 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
You seem like a good candidate for a CPO car from a dealer. Especially if Toyota offers a fixed term but unlimited mileage CPO - not sure if that’s their deal or not.

Most CPOs I see are 1 year/100K. You’re probably right. I’m out of most new car warranties within a year or two anyways.

Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
For selling your current one, I've had 2 great experiences doing it myself with blinker.com as the service. It walks you through everything for listing, and it verifies the potential buyers before you even hear from them. It even shows you just which pictures to take, generates a bill of sale, everything. No charge at all for the seller, they make their money with car loans for the buyers.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My big kid used carvanna for his car.
They drove it to him and gave him seven days for exam and test drive.
Super simple.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck buying from private sellers, but my most recent truck came from a used car lot.

Seems like the better deals present themselves when you don't need one.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
I bought my 4Runner 2 years ago from a private seller and couldn't be happier. I was looking for a 3rd Generation and found one nearby that was owned and maintained by an anal-retentive nuclear engineer. This was one of the two best car deals I've had. The other was from a local used car dealer that specializes in very high quality used vehicles. He has a huge internet presence and sells all over the country.

I put a lot of miles on, too, (before I was forced to slow down!). I'd recommend the 4Runner (any generation).

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
quote:

Most CPOs I see are 1 year/100K. You’re probably right. I’m out of most new car warranties within a year or two anyways.

my current ride is a Honda Civic I bought as a CPO,

I think most are very low mileage trade ins or lease cars,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don’t mind the increased costs associated with V6s. I’ve used them before. My last car was a V6 Santa Fe that I retired it at 284,000.

Just so we're clear, the 4 runner is a heavy, body-on-frame, off road capable SUV, with an older 5 speed transmission that gets 20mpg on a good day. The Santa Fe will be significantly different.

But you said you were okay with a truck, so I assume you are okay with the MPG.

For a 4 Runner, I would try looking for a Private Seller on Auto Trader, then with a Dealer CPO. I would not buy from a Car Max or other "used car dealership". My personal opinion is that private sellers would give me the best opportunity to inspect the vehicle, meet the owner, and understand how the car was maintained in it's previous life. Avoid people who seem to be into off-roading or clueless people. Next bet would be for a CPO at a dealer. Dealers sort through the lease ends and trade-ins and keep the best ones for themselves, and send the rest of them to auction where other used car dealerships will buy them. Your goal is to find the gently used lease trade in that needed no work to be made resellable.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
How 'used' are you looking for? Some of the services limit themselves to cars that are only a couple/few years old...maybe short term leases or rentals...which is fine if that's what you're after. But the way Toyotas hold their value (expensive) you almost might as well buy new in this range.

Otherwise, set up notifications on Carguru and Carfax...year, make, etc. within X miles from where you live.

One thing to keep in mind is many dealerships list used cars prematurely...they take a car in trade, and it needs to go thru their inspection/servicing and it won't be ready for several days. More than frustrating if you go all the way down to the dealer to find out you can't even test drive a vehicle you're interested in. Call ahead and ask if it's actually ready to purchase.

Shop before you really need it so you walk away from a deal if it doesn't fit. Be patient... There's LOTS of used cars for sale...take the the time to get what you're after.

It took several months and trips to lots...but last year I found a cherry 2010, one owner, never wrecked, meticulously maintained vehicle with 51K on the odometer. Exactly what I wanted. Had to do the whole 'song & dance' with the financing guy at the dealership, but it was worth it to me. Due for the 60K service here soon. Not bad for a 10+ year old car.

Also, having pre approved financing in place helps, but bear in mind, cash in hand doesn't give you the leverage it used to. Most dealers loose significant $$ when they don't get to finance the purchase.

Lastly, if you're not going with certified pre owned, unless you're really auto mechanically savvy, consider a prepurchase inspector. I used one last year and he helped me dodge a real, expensive problem. Just bear in mind, this can be very touchy to deal with...most dealerships aren't super keen on it.

$.02 worth.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm not sure the CPO is the way to go here. You drive ~ 50K miles/year, and even the best CPO usually warranty's extend the original warranty to 100K miles total. Even if you found a CPO w/ 25K miles on it, you've only got 75K miles of remaining coverage, which would be less than two years. Unless the CPO vehicle required costly repairs/work such as new Brakes, Tires, etc in order to be 'certified', it's not likely to be worth the add'l cost for the CPO warranty, which you would burn through in no time.

CPO vehicles are the best way to buy a car if you plan on keeping it for a long time, but I don't think your usage falls into that category. IMO you'd be better off finding a well cared for private sale vehicle with a verifiable service history.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8910 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Friend at work just got a 4Runner, they cost so much used, he just bought a new one. Nice truck.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4620 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would just buy new, given what I've seen people put 4runner type vehicles through. I'd be hesitant to buy used. Many times, If you really look at the incentives and interest rate difference, and the fact that with a new vehicle EVERYTHING is new so no tires/brakes/etc. to change for 40k miles or more, a new vehicle costs the same as a 1-2 year old one.

That being said, I do agree with going CPO if you're buying used. At least you'll have a warranty on the major components for 100k miles and if that particular vehicle has an inherent problem it will be covered.

YMMV- but I'm 6'3 and had one as a rental. A new 2018 TRD model. I hated it, the seat is really low to the floor, and after a 2 hour road trip in it, I found the seating height and etc very uncomfortable compared to my expedition. It was also hard to get in and out of compared to my expedition where you sit more upright, and the windshield is very short, top to bottom and didn't like the view out of it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post