SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone own a second home in Ireland or the UK?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone own a second home in Ireland or the UK? Login/Join 
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted
The wife and I just returned from a vacation in Ireland... we stayed in Cong, County Mayo/Galway (depending on where you are standing in Cong) and visited the family home in Moycullen, Galway. (A stacked stone, whitewashed single room dwelling without electricity or running water.)

Now she is determined to buy a second home in Ireland... and if you knew my wife, this determination will undoubtedly become a reality. Fortunately, we are in a financial position to make it happen within 18 to 24 months. I am all for it as it means I don't have to spend the rest of my life in Connecticut.

I am certain that buying a second home in Ireland isn't a cakewalk. I estimate we need 30 to 50% down plus 10% for taxes and fees.

Anyone have any experience doing what we hope to do? Any advice will be welcome!

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
No running water = no inside toilet. Outhouse much?

No electrical I could live with. Peace n quiet with a solar battery system for lantern could suffice.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14043 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
We're NOT buying the Old family home... gosh, no.

We plan on buying something in the 12 -15 year old range, 3 bedrooms and all the modern conveniences.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good question that I have sometimes wondered about myself.

You must realize, though, that for every helpful answer, you’ll get a dozen of the, “Why would you want to live there‽” meaningless ones. Stick with it and perhaps we will both learn something. Smile

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47421 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Good question that I have sometimes wondered about myself.

You must realize, though, that for every helpful answer, you’ll get a dozen of the, “Why would you want to live there‽” meaningless ones. Stick with it and perhaps we will both learn something. Smile

why would you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Big Grin

any hoo, wife and I discussed it when we went to the UK 11 yrs ago but never went beyond a discussion,,,

I know a guy that lived there as an expat for about 10 yrs, and did buy a home,

he is back stateside now (ex ex pat??) but it may be a week or 3 before I see him

I don't recall him having any issues building a home, (he ran a few hostels, free board, then built a house to live in for a few years)

may want to reach out to a local (to that area) realtor and ask??

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10439 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You need to find out what the taxes are in Ireland, that alone may be a dealbreaker.

And if you hadn’t noticed, everything except maybe beer (of course) is VERY EXPENSIVE there. We were there in 2012 and noticed that everyday things often cost twice in Ireland vs the US.

If you had to do any renovation etc, that too could be a dealbreaker if the job was $10,000 in the US but could be $20,000 - $50,000 there.

Posts: 33902 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The Irish island of Arranmore is actively recruiting Americans to move there:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/art...scli-intl/index.html

Posts: 32566 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have gotten know quite of number of Irish clerics who have lived here for many years. All of them seem to want to return to Ireland for their retirement. They have sponsored quite a number of Church trips for parishoners. They often speak fondly of the local pubs,family and customs. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

Posts: 17285 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The Irish island of Arranmore is actively recruiting Americans to move there:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/art...scli-intl/index.html

Two questions arise. Can I take my guns and what’s the cost....

Posts: 4133 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I'v wondered about the same thing but in France, Italy or Greece.

Posts: 4640 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I would recommend is finding a similar house on Air BNB or the other rental site and renting it for a month or longer and doing a long term vacation there before actually buying. This month long experience will give you time to explore different areas and look at various housing options and gets your feet wet and allows you to understand the process and local laws with home ownership without stepping in with both feet.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is NO black powder shooting.

Well, that's a relief as you don't want the Police to see where you're shooting.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I realize this is a gun forum, but are there any further comments about the topic starter’s question?
(He did not mention guns, much less ask about owning them there.)

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47421 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Well the OP does live in CT so the Irish laws will be less restrictive.

Seriously though, good luck with it. My wife and I are considering doing the same thing with a house in the Scottish Highlands.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2390 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Investigate the Internal Revenue Service rules regarding FATCA and the import to you.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5968 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The question was about buying a second home in a foreign country. It even included mention of costs and financing. As is extremely common in questions raised on this forum, what it did not include was any mention whatsoever of guns. Perhaps the man who asked the question is stunningly ignorant of the fact that Ireland and the UK have different laws pertaining to guns despite his personal experience with travelling there, but that is extraordinarily unlikely. There is nevertheless nothing wrong with pointing out that fact, just as there’s nothing wrong with telling someone who lives in Tucson, Arizona, that it gets hot in Phoenix, or telling a resident of Iceland that it snows in Greenland. It merely clutters up the thread with superfluous information, but that is also common here.

But to explain the point of my comments, since it seems to have been impenetrably opaque to some, I am also interested in what would be involved in purchasing a second home in the UK or Ireland. I have no intention of doing so for reasons that include their oppressive laws pertaining to many different facets of life that we enjoy in a free country, and not only firearms, but I am still curious. So I’ll reiterate: Does anyone have any useful information to answer the original question?

6.4/93.6

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's expensive and whatnot, but what about guns? Can I have my guns over there?

Big Grin

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Personally, I wouldn't commit to anything until you know how Brexit shakes out.

The ROI will obviously still be part of the EU, but it is still inextricably linked to N. Ireland, which won't be part of the EU.

I can't imagine the economic ramifications not hitting Ireland, even though it's still part of the EU.

Perhaps they will benefit you if you're looking for property--or perhaps not.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
On a whim, we researched doing the ex-pat thing all over the world about a decade ago.

While many places looked appealing on the surface (and are probably wonderful places to visit), they all lack firearm freedoms that we enjoy in America (among other things; to include limitations on freedom of speech and other laws).

There is so much to take into account with foreign investment / real estate, from the laws of making it happen, the financial differences (a lot more $$$ down), taxes, as well as the exchange rate.

Unless someone REALLY wants to live somewhere a large portion of the time (3-6 months a year?), I would venture simply renting a location for 1 week - 2 months a year would be the safer method.

Or at the very least I would start with some extended stays of 1-2 months to ensure (1) you still want to live there part time and (2) you learn the specific areas you would like to live in as well as the areas you DON'T want to live in.

I have a friend who bought an apartment in France while doing a 2 year exchange with their Armed Forces. After being home for a couple of years, he referred to it as the "financial boil on his ass", even considering he had married a French woman in the area. I think he eventually sold it for some loss just to stem the bleeding of money.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the pros and cons everyone is bringing up (that's why I asked the all-knowing, all-seeing Forum!).

I do realize that Ireland is a disarmed society, at least as far as handguns go. My Sigs, Walthers, etc. would have to stay in the States. Except those that I lost in a tragic canoe accident.... those are gone forever!

Does anyone know the specifics of owning shotguns in Ireland? (Googling doesn't give me much of an answer.) They hunt woodcock and grouse there, so am I making a bad assumption that I can eventually own a 12 or 28 gauge?

As far as buying a home, we're not looking at it as an investment. The wife REALLY wants to spend time in Ireland and I REALLY don't want to die in Connecticut... so our motivation is to satisfy emotional needs. (Plus there is golf... there are fantastic golf courses within 2 hours' drive of where we're looking... and Edinburgh is a 95 minute plane ride away.)

Yes, we plan to spend weeks at a time in various locations across Counties Mayo, Galway and maybe Roscommon. We're giving ourselves 18-24 months to really hone in a house.