SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's your big Christmas meal
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your big Christmas meal Login/Join 
posted
Christmas is that time where traditions abound and meals are a central part; even if one isn't Christian, there's plenty of good spirit to join-in without participating in any of the religious aspects. Dinner for Christmas is always a focal point, here's some interesting meal traditions from around the world:

Prime Rib
Pork Roast (N.European tradition)
Salt Cod (Portuguese/Spanish tradition)
Whole roast pig (Phillippinnes/Puerto Rico tradition)
Fried Chicken, specifically KFC (Japanese tradition)
Kulebyak, salmon-version of beef Wellington (Russian tradition)
Tamales, Christmas Salad and fritters (Mexican tradition)
Shell fish, along with mango or cherries cocktails (Australia)

Looks like this year my sister will be sous vive a Prime Rib, the past several years I've made Porchetta. She's been practicing the last two months so, we'll see how it goes.

Posts: 14630 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Sounds delicious… We will all be right over. Many thanks!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
The Hell you say.

Posts: 107460 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, we always had a really nice dinner on Christmas eve--just me and my parents. I have a tiny family.

Now that I'm old and married, our family Christmas meal is lunch on Christmas day. Typically beef tenderloin, ham, and whatever sides that mom and I come up with. Mom is getting up in years, so I try to make sure that I do the labor intensive dishes. My husband is always on the hook for making mashed potatoes and gravy.

My childhood best friend's family always had hotdogs on Christmas eve.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
The Hell you say.

Oh yes Big Grin Its the damndest thing

Posts: 14630 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Posole and tamales per the family's request.

Posts: 5693 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
We set up a grazing table. Christmas is not centered around a main entree. Everyone brings a appetizer of whatever they wish. Everything is put on a table and we eat all day. My contribution this year will be rum glazed shrimp and pineapple grilled skewers and a Kentucky pound cake. My sons and their wives are all pretty good cooks. The girls in particular are creative and competitive with their dishes which is always a win for everyone! Cool

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Grilled Ribeyes, cheesy potatoes, baked beans, asparagus, parmesan rolls. Pies and ice cream. Appetizers are clam dip, 7 layer dip, and jalapeno poppers.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Prime Rib, just like every year for the last 20 or so. I'll also pick up a Dungeness crab for crab cocktails.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
We have Christmas Eve dinner at our house. Lasagna, Platanos Maduros, French or Italian bread (depends on what is available at the bakery) and a Cuban Flan for dessert.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1897 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Christmas Eve: Chinese takeout
Christmas Day: Roast turkey with all the fixings

New tradition started last year for NYE:

Roasted whole filet mignon on the Weber

When I was in Germany, I was friends with a local family that took me in for Christmas Eve which is the big celebration over there. Christmas Day really isn't. In Northern Bavaria (Franconia) they would eat carp or trout on Christmas Eve.

What they served me was called Forelle Blau "Blue Trout" which was a whole fresh trout poached in a white wine and vinegar fumet. Served with boiled potatoes and butter, it was delicious. And it actually took on a bluish sheen, I guess it was the skin that interacted with the wine?

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
The Hell you say.

When I spent a couple of weeks working in Tokyo years ago, the company bought every employee lunch every day.

It was considered a huge deal when they got KFC, they went absolutely nuts over it.

Mrs. Flash and I eat Portugese soup and garlic bread on Christmas Eve and a Huge Southern Ham, yams, deviled eggs and some form of vegetable on Christmas Day.

For us, Prime Rib is New Years Eve.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Skiing Utah powder all day and then Chinese take out! I'm thinking Sesame Chicken and fried rice!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Swedish Meatballs, everything else is up for discussion

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Growing up, my family always did Thanksgiving redux, roast turkey et. al. The past few years, my wife and I have gone with a big meat meal, steaks, rib roast, pork loin roast, carving ham, etc. This year, I think I'm doing Spaghetti Carbonara.

Posts: 6446 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’ve spent the equivalent of years in across japan over the past 30 years. Areas including hakata, kansai, kanto and hokuriku. I’ve had many meals at homes, at work, outside of work with many many people there. Not once has KFC every been mentioned. I tried KFC there. It is better than here. But in my experience, it was never a fashionable, desired thing to eat. If fast food was indicated, more than likely that meant kaarage at 7-11 or Lawson.

This year will be a small affair. Kalbi, sweet potatoes, kabocha soup. I had an advance dinner with my bro who brought over some A5 and truffle sea salt. Amazing stuff. We grilled the A5 in cast iron skillet. I think pound for pound, A5 renders more fat than thick cut bacon.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Usually beef. My son is making boeuf bourguignon this year. He kills it, so I am looking forward to it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I wish i knew how to make that well. I love it.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I wish i knew how to make that well. I love it.

It isn't hard, technically. But it is a pain in the ass, because you are at it all day, literally. Cook this, take it out. Cook that, set it aside. Cook x, with y, and then add z. Then cook w and v, and add the first thing. There are a dozen steps and recombinations. But it all builds that amazing, rich flavor.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Christmas day would be prime rib. Christmas Eve is pierogi and borscht.

Posts: 20065 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post