SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer Question: File transfer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Question: File transfer Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
Due to Win10 requirements for several applications I just went ahead and got another laptop with Win10 already installed.
I'm still using my Win7 machine as well.

Question: What is the easiest way to transfer data? I don't have to move everything, but I do need some of it. It's mostly documents and pictures. The pictures don't really have to be stored on both machines.
I've transferred a few things with a thumb drive, which is pretty easy, but the ones I have don't have a lot of capacity.

Thanks in advance.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24188 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
How much data do you have to transfer? Anything under 64gb and I'd probably just stick with a jump drive. 100gb+ and I'd probably use a cheap M.2 SSD and USB adapter cable.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure but it looks like the thumb drive I used is only 64mb, not 64gb.
I think I need a bigger one.
I was wondering if I could just connect the two machines with a cable of some sort.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24188 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
How much data do you have to transfer? Anything under 64gb and I'd probably just stick with a jump drive.

Yep, if it's 128 gigs or less, the easiest and most straightforward route is just to buy an inexpensive USB thumb drive and use that. You can get a 128 gigabyte thumb drive at Walmart/Best Buy/Amazon/etc. for under $20.

Stick it in the old computer, copy the files to the USB drive, then stick it in the new computer, and copy the files to the new computer.

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I was wondering if I could just connect the two machines with a cable of some sort.

Yes, you can. It's more involved than just using a thumb drive, but might be a better idea if you have something like many hundreds/thousands of gigabytes of data to transfer.

If both computers have a wired network port, all you need is a network crossover cable to connect them together. They'll then be on their own "wired network", with files able to be copied between them.

See https://www.wikihow.com/Connec...th-an-Ethernet-Cable for instructions.

But understand that not all computers these days have a network port, with everything being done strictly wirelessly. That would still be doable, but a bit more complicated. However, if you have a wireless network in your home, and access to a friend/relative who's computer savvy, they can help you transfer files over the wireless network.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Do you have a backup hard drive, if not, now would be a great time to get one; use it to copy all your files from the old computer to the new and then use it as your regular backup drive.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4339 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Get a USB 3.0/3.1 64GB or large flash drive. They are cheap and easy to use.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
You should be able to connect both via an ethernet cable , and copy everything between them

If both can connect to your router, you could even do it wirelessly

Windows may even share the files already unless you turned off file and printer sharing

Posts: 833 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If both machines are running why not just transfer over the (local) network?

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Enter network credentials.
Roll Eyes
I have no idea what the user name and password would be.
The name of the computer?
The password when I log in?

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Enter network credentials.
Roll Eyes
I have no idea what the user name and password would be.
The name of the computer?
The password when I log in?

user & password of the machine you are connecting to.

Posts: 3299 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I couldn't get the ethernet cable to work. It recognized it, but didn't allow sharing.
I finally got the (local) network to work.
On the new computer I could see files on the other computer that were in the public directory, but that's not where what I needed was located so first I had to copy them to that directory.

Thanks guys.

-rduckwor

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Are they Pro versions of software or home versions?

Pro versions are easier to share.

Username: {computername}\{username}
Password: whatever it is

If Pro version: in file explorer type: \\{computername}\C$

Otherwise you have to share out the folder you want to access.

I could elaborate on how to share a folder but there are plenty of tutorials online.

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Get thee an external hard drive for use as a backup.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I ran across a company called EaseUS. They have a ton of programs for everything from data transfer to backups, partition management, data recovery, etc.

They offer most of their products in versions ranging from free to pro-level and having used several of them, I can tell you that they're very user friendly and have worked flawlessly for me.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Indeed. If you care enough to transfer the files presumably you’ll care enough to want them again when the new HD fails.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12455 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Skip all the networking and hardware devices. Go with an internet based solution.

Just load Team Viewer on the machines and use the file transfer. It is free for personal use and the speed is fine. You can also look at FileZilla. I use both if these for work with clients all over the country.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2390 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

Indeed. If you care enough to transfer the files presumably you’ll care enough to want them again when the new HD fails.

Personally I would do this and use the robocopy (robust copy)command from a command line.

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
Skip all the networking and hardware devices. Go with an internet based solution.

Just load Team Viewer on the machines and use the file transfer. It is free for personal use and the speed is fine. You can also look at FileZilla. I use both if these for work with clients all over the country.

Sending files out of the LAN over the Internet then back to the LAN is ridiculous.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

This was my solution as well. I bought a 1TB Seagate external SSD drive that has everything on it from my PC, laptop and phone. It's less than $50 and worth every penny.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Do you have a backup hard drive, if not, now would be a great time to get one; use it to copy all your files from the old computer to the new and then use it as your regular backup drive.

I recently did the same. Just copy all your documents and photos to the backup drive and then the ones you want to the new computer. Quick and easy, even for me and backup drives are pretty cheap these days.

Posts: 9557 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post