SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are woodpeckers stupid?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are woodpeckers stupid? Login/Join 
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
They are bird brained after all.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The peck wood for a living - probably stupid

Posts: 163 | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
He actually died of lead poisoning.

Poor thing. I'm guessing it was sudden onset. Wink

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
When the buggers take to my roof vents it sounds like an MG-42 incarnate.

Startling to say the least.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
No. They are determined. They aren’t so into seed as they are bugs. Is it possible there are bugs crawling around in your cylinder?
And hummingbirds are brilliant. Also bugcatchers as well as nectar feeders. And amazingly brave.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, you have to solve the puzzle by "following the science". Obviously woodpeckers are descendants of dinosaurs and according to that great scientific movie, Jurassic Park, dinosaurs want to hunt, not be fed (like a slop-eating pig!).

The only logical conclusion is the woodpecker was hunting those seeds rather than succumbing to the pussification act of just eating from the bottom.

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Well they're peckers so.....like most peckers, they're stupid.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
When the buggers take to my roof vents it sounds like an MG-42 incarnate.

Startling to say the least.

Our gas fireplace has the metal liner that sticks up a foot or two out of the chimney at the very top. When one decides to peck on that you really do want to take cover.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
We had one when we lived in Florida that spent every night for years pecking away on the metal housing to the street light.

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Our fireplace has a galvanized chimney. Woody goes FA on it usually around six in the morning.

Wonderful wake up call…

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Woodpecker stuffed over 700 pounds of acorns in walls of CA home

It’s not from an episode of “Hoarders,” but a shocking discovery inside a California home probably could be if animals were featured on the popular reality TV show.

A technician from a pest control company was left positively baffled when he cut into the walls of a California home and found a nutty scene.

More than 700 pounds of acorns came bursting out onto the carpet.

Nick’s Extreme Pest Control, based in Forestville, posted photos on Facebook of the acorns seeping out of a small rectangular hole cut into the drywall and piling up into a huge mound.

“Came across this on a job,” the company wrote in the post. “Bird was a bit of a hoarder. Filled up about 8 garbage bags full of acorns weighing in about 700 lbs. Unreal never came across something like this.”

The company elaborated on the situation, sharing the woodpecker had destroyed the exterior of the house in its efforts to store the acorns.

“This bird was crazy,” someone from the company wrote. “We actually saw him there when we were there putting more in the holes he created.”

Some wanted to know what made the homeowners think there was an issue with the wall in the first place.

“They were getting little worms coming out of the wall that looked like maggots but were actually type of meal worms,” Nick’s Extreme Pest Control explained.

Another person wanted to know where the woodpecker’s entrance was.

“The bird put acorns through chimney stack after making 100s of holes in wood siding surrounding it,” the company said. “[Then] he came through attic ventilation port holes. Acorns were piled up from lower floor to about 20 ft up into the attic.”

Acorn woodpeckers are known for storing acorns for safekeeping, Walter Koenig told National Geographic in 2015 after a viral video showed the birds’ storage habit had filled up a telecommunications antenna in Central California. Koenig is a senior scientist with the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woo...ounds-203302062.html

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We had a metal cap over a fireplace in our bedroom. At 0h-dark-thirty every morning a wood pecker would wake us up with rat-0tat0-tat on the sheet metal. I did some research and read they will hit metal to sharpen their peckers. We see them here every fall boring little holes in the bark of trees and storing acorns in the holes for later.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Our fireplace has a galvanized chimney. Woody goes FA on it usually around six in the morning.

Wonderful wake up call…

Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Woodpeckers occasionally visit the feeder I have in the yard, that sounds similar to Para's having a clear center reservoir, but I haven't noticed them pecking at the plastic. Yet. But the pileated woodpecker is so heavy as it grabs on the perch ring the little feeder tips about 45* spilling much of the black sunflower seeds, but the woodpecker hangs on and helps itself. The titmouse, nuthatch, and chickadees happily move to feed off the spillage on the ground.

quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Woodpecker stuffed over 700 pounds of acorns in walls of CA home

LOL I can see that happening. I watched this documentary on woodpeckers last year and learned about one species in California that hoards acorns. If interested fast forward to around 44:00 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8f9ft7

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
We have a metal mesh cylinder we fill with raw peanuts that our woodpeckers like. Perhaps a solid plastic cylinder just confuses them.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I had a large pileated woodpecker that kept breaking the mirrors on my truck attacking his reflection. I had to cover the mirrors with plastic bags at night to keep them safe till it moved on.

Posts: 5738 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
this silly bird was trying to get the seed through the sides of the cylinder. peck, peck, peck

The instinct is strong

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

Wonderful wake up call…

Razz

LOL had the exact same thing at a home I used to own. Sounded like an A10 warthog doing a run over the house. took me a while to figure out what was happening

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post