SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are woodpeckers stupid?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are woodpeckers stupid? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I've got a couple of bird feeders in my backyard. One of them is a plastic cylinder which has four feeding ports at its base. A mesh wire cage surrounds the cylinder. The seed in the cylinder can be seen, but not, of course, accessed through the walls of the cylinder.

I saw a woodpecker on the feeder, the first time I can't recall seeing one on a feeder like this. The woodpecker sat on the perch, saw the seed inside the cylinder, and rather than getting seed from the base of the feeder, like every other bird who has landed on it has been able to figure out, this silly bird was trying to get the seed through the sides of the cylinder. peck, peck, peck

Are woodpeckers dense?

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I've seen woodpeckers peck on all manner of things that weren't wood, including the metal housing of a window AC unit. This brought forth the righteous anger of my father, which was definitely not a smart thing to do.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've had them pecking on the siding of my house, but that's at least understandable. It really did look to me like the bird was trying to get to the seed.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Apparently, certain game cameras emit a noise that wood peckers hear as insects inside a tree. My uncle has lost several to a wood pecker that keeps pecking the motion sensor and lens out of them.

There is a metal pole off the back of his barn and he was one that will absolutely go to town on that thing. It is so loud.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They all have CTE from getting their brain rattled all the time. I’ve had them hammer away at the bricks on our house.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Was walking my dog once and all of a sudden, I heard an incredibly loud sound. It took me a second, but realized a woodpecker was hammering away on a metal gutter.

It actually scared/startled me for a moment.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet bendable will know. Birds have tiny brains, hence the term "bird brain". I would not know why the woodpecker could not solve that simple problem.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
They are just programmed to peck holes to get food. It probably doesn’t consider any other possibility. So yeah, they are stupid.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
1s1k, thanks for the laugh. Big Grin. I was thinking something along the same lines.

We have a woodpecker that just loves to bang his head on our gutters to create what sounds like an MG42 just burning through rounds. The chucklehead always does it early in the morning, typically around sunrise. Mad

Even after it’s happened a few times it’s always a shock to wake up to hearing BRRRRRRRRTTTT BRRRRRRRRTTTT coming loudly from the corner of the house nearest my bedroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Downy Woodpecker who wakes me regularly at the crack of dawn hammering on the siding outside my bedroom window. I have the same type of feeder Para has and Mr. Downy pecks at it, too. Even while other birds are feeding from the other ports.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They will almost always go to the suet blocks before the hopper style feeders.

They are
Best used in suet blocks cages.
75 cents is a very good price these days.
.88 cents is ok
.99 cents is my limit.

Blocks are almost always cheaper by the dozen.
Farm store is our choice.
Rare occasions Menards.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
In our area of the world, woodpeckers and flickers will peck (drumming) on various items as a mating call ... maybe this is what is happening and not interested in the seeds.

https://abcbirds.org/blog20/woodpecker-sounds/

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing mating call as well. It's actually rather brilliant as he found a location that would attract either a horny or hungry mate.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I have large mesh "cages" that I put a large woodpecker block in. The woodpecker block is composed of various seeds and nuts bound together by some edible "glue". Woodpeckers either feed on that or the suet feeders as bendable has mentioned. Woodpeckers that have fed in the past year: red-bellied, downy, hairy, pileated, and common flicker. The flicker was a surprise as they usually eat ants off the ground.

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Hummingbirds make Woodpeckers look like brain surgeons.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Once while walking on a blacktop walking path in a local park heard the loud racket of something pounding/banging on something metal...Found source of banging to he a red headed woodpecker sitting on a light pole sidearm support and just trying to drill a hole into the metal arm. ................................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
It is thought Woodpeckers pound on metal to signal other Woodpeckers. There were at least 2 cases on Sanibel that Pileated Woodpeckers punched through the side of a house, destroyed the kitchen cabinets and expired inside the house. I worked the remodel on one of them.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1088 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They would peck the transformer boxes on powerpoles at our 1st house. We put new windows in that house before selling. Two of them crashed head-on into the new windows within about two months.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
We have three species of woodpeckers that visit our feeders to feed successfully. Red Head, Red Belly and Harry. Maybe yours is retarded? I believe the animal kingdom has, like humans, critters with varying degrees of mental capacities. Once I had a ground hog that, unlike his neighbors, dug his den in a ditch so it filled with water with every rain… we called him retarded…. He did not drown though. He actually died of lead poisoning. Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

When all you have is a pecker, every problem looks like a...

a...

um...

ahhh...

um...

...something that needs to be pecked?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post