SIGforum
SpaceX Is Making it Look Easy

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1180085324

May 01, 2017, 07:14 PM
Poacher
SpaceX Is Making it Look Easy
Those guys are really good at math and stuff.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt
May 01, 2017, 07:16 PM
RHINOWSO
SpaceX FTW!!! Awesome!!!
May 01, 2017, 07:23 PM
George43
So what is the big deal? The last two North Korean ICBMs have returned to and landed on their launch platform....

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.
May 01, 2017, 07:37 PM
mkueffer
Awesome to see the next generation rockets. Growing up watching Apollo, then Shuttle, and now SpaceX is great.

A few Sigs and some others
May 01, 2017, 09:10 PM
dewhorse
Ok now I am impressed.....freaking coool
May 01, 2017, 09:17 PM
blueye
My wife doesn't believe that the rocket was able to land back on the launch pad. She watched the video 5x.
May 01, 2017, 09:24 PM
JohnnyD
That is incredibly impressive. WOW.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired
May 01, 2017, 09:27 PM
CQB60
Very impressive!

May 01, 2017, 09:42 PM
comet24
Seeing those landing is like watching the imposable.

We should just send that video to NK everyday.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac
May 01, 2017, 10:52 PM
nhtagmember
oh, I'm sure SLUFF (no offense to the airplane) has seen it and is trying to figure out why his toys can't do that

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

May 01, 2017, 11:08 PM
Loswsmith
Wonder what the MOA is on that?

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi
May 02, 2017, 03:42 AM
Poacher
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Wonder what the MOA is on that?

More like CEP, and less than a meter I'd say.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt
May 02, 2017, 06:11 AM
Orguss
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
My wife doesn't believe that the rocket was able to land back on the launch pad. She watched the video 5x.

Well, she's correct. It didn't land at the launch pad. The landing pad is about 10 miles away from the launch pad.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
May 02, 2017, 06:38 AM
rscalzo
quote:
Growing up watching Apollo, then Shuttle, and now SpaceX is great.

Hell, I grew up watching the Mercury program.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net
May 02, 2017, 12:16 PM
Sauer Kraut
That is impressive anyway you look at it. I watched the Apollo program as a kid. It is good to see what the space program can do with modern technology applied to it.
May 02, 2017, 12:51 PM
BB61
My niece's husband is an engineer for SpaceX. She is working on her PhD in math. I have a feeling their kids will be smarter than their great uncle.

And yea, SpaceX does make it look easy.

May 02, 2017, 02:24 PM
cparktd
How far down range had it traveled, and thus have to fly / glide back?

I'm guessing they have a better computer now working on this than that calculator sized one NASA went to the moon with. Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.
May 02, 2017, 02:28 PM
Skull Leader
That's awesome!

I'm kinda more excited about Hyperloop though.

June 26, 2017, 01:05 AM
Orguss
I just watched the webcast of the latest launch from Vandenberg coming only 48 hours after a launch at Canaveral. When the first stage came back for a successful landing, there was a smattering of applause from a minimal group of on-lookers. I went back and watched the first successful landing, back in December 2015, and there is thunderous applause from a packed building. Oh how times have changed. But this is precisely where we should be going, where successful launches and landings come more frequently and with less worry about mishaps.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
June 26, 2017, 09:52 AM
nhtagmember
the reason why there weren't as many people at Hawthorne for the Sunday launch is that most of them drove up to Vandenburg which is about 180 miles north to watch the launch in person

they haven't had many west coast launches and this was a good chance for most of them

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC