SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Iran 'poking the snake' again
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iran 'poking the snake' again Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
with a drone overflight of the US Navy in the Gulf.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kGd7f_1556459211

One day they will try it with a manned aircraft and then they'll find out the relevance of all that spiffy weaponry.

Posts: 11329 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
They should have shot the drone down. With President Trump in charge, I am surprised they didn't.

Posts: 8624 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
They should have shot the drone down. With President Trump in charge, I am surprised they didn't.
Maybe our Navy tested our drone jacking technology, but didn't quite get it taken over.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Maybe our Navy tested our drone jacking technology, but didn't quite get it taken over.

That would have been awesome.

Posts: 8624 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
USS Eisenhower has not been in the Persian gulf since early 2016 Wink

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
I think that is a bogus propaganda film. When was the last time the Eisenhower was any where near the Gulf? Looks like the fall of 2016 CVN 69 Locations. Also, her deck does not appear to be configured for flight ops. Can't imagine the US Navy sailing her in the Gulf not ready to fight.

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
So....CNN is doing fake news for Iran too?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
LiveLeak is CNN?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
LiveLeak is CNN?

Usually liveleak is more trustworthy and credible...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15584 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably just took some footage from that top gun movie

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Half of that looks like CGI.

Posts: 11167 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
What fool is going to believe that?
The carrier looks like a toy you could buy on amazon.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Note, unarmed Iranian aircraft fly near / by US Navy ships... all. the. time...

While this looks dramatic, I would bet it had a RIM-116 battery trained on it and/or a F18 overhead with a AIM-9X ready to fire.

Not to mention, we a decent EO system with zoom, it can look like it's really close, yet be offset several miles and just be at max magnification.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Probably just took some footage from that top gun movie

That's a negative Achmed, pattern is full...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15584 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Do carriers normally have zero staff on deck?

It is a quick video, but do you see any human activity present on any of the ships filmed...?

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

It is a quick video, but do you see any human activity present on any of the ships filmed...?

I was stationed on the Eisenhower and we were always at General Quarters when we passed through the Straits of Hormuz becuase there would be almost no reaction time if Iran launched something at us.

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Time to line the crew up on deck, issue wrist rockets and bags of marbles, and see who wins extra shore leave at the next port worth visiting.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/JkBhCYMJQA4

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

That would have been awesome.

But, if it did work would you tell anyone? I wouldn't...

Keep that secret until you really need it.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Yes, at 0:08 seconds. There is a line of guys across the landing area aft of the 1 wire. You can see them come into view from the right as the ship moves across the screen. Start-stop the video and you'll see them.

There's a lot of things that make me question the authenticity of this video. I see a mix of Classic C-models and Super Hornets on deck, proving this is very old video since the Eisenhower hasn't had a C-model on deck in years. And as jprebb pointed out, this doesn't look like any deck configuration I ever saw when operating through the Straits. I don't see any weapons anywhere on any aircraft, even the two Alert birds on the waist cats. And while you see the very specific dome marking on the E-2 (VAW-123 "Screwtops") you do not see even one Hornet with tail markings. Every outside panel on the tails where the markings would be is blacked out. (But I'm sure it's just the morning sun angle...) Wink

I'm skeptical this is Iranian drone video.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post