SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Five-Cent Plastic Bag Fee Takes Effect in Minneapolis at Start of the New Year
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Five-Cent Plastic Bag Fee Takes Effect in Minneapolis at Start of the New Year Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
Gotta be another wonderful idea from the cult we call the democratic party.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
If saving the environment was the goal why not just outright ban plastic bags period? Get rid of them. Cut the supply and there’s no demand. Customers can use paper or bring their own. Two shopping trips is about all it would take. But no, plastic bags are bad unless of course you’re willing to pay in which case use as many as you want.

That’s the same reason they don’t outright ban tobacco; it’s all about the tax revenue that it brings in.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
....and yet disposable diapers are far more destructive, there are far more of them being used, and take 500 years to decompose. But certainly, focus on straws and grocery bags. What about plastics in cars? Plastics in nearly EVERYTHING we use?

but, but, but the children!

If the enviros really want to dig deep, they would be pushing the usage of diaper services; my parents used reusable diapers and the disposables were saved for trips and emergencies. Disposable diapers with all their layers, and absorbent chemicals are a bigger issue.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Since it’s a tax, keep track of every single one and deduct it from your federal taxes. It all counts.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
So happy to hear every other problem in these places have been solved so they can waste time on this bullshit. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
If saving the environment was the goal why not just outright ban plastic bags period? Get rid of them. Cut the supply and there’s no demand. Customers can use paper or bring their own. Two shopping trips is about all it would take. But no, plastic bags are bad unless of course you’re willing to pay in which case use as many as you want.

Saving the planet is not the goal. Greta Thunberg even stated as much. It is to transfer wealth from those who have to those who want. Climate change is just the excuse.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
....and yet disposable diapers are far more destructive, there are far more of them being used, and take 500 years to decompose. But certainly, focus on straws and grocery bags. What about plastics in cars? Plastics in nearly EVERYTHING we use?

Hey now, stay the hell away from disposable diapers!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'm happy to pay the dime (in CA). If anyone asks, I'll tell them "I don't want to get sick from a used grocery bag. Why in the hell would you reuse one for food?"

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Hey now, stay the hell away from disposable diapers!

This is good advice for everyone. lol

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
In our house the grandkids' disposable diapers go into the saved plastic grocery bags, then into the trash.

So my DNA will be identifiable for at least 1,000 years.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Crazy Joe is in favor of a nationwide ban on plastic bags.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
People will pay the extra nickel per bag without a second thought. Tell me, how will the money raised per bag be used to save the world? This will be more profit for the stores- that will be the only result of this campaign.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15583 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
People will pay the extra nickel per bag without a second thought.

Maybe, maybe not.

I'll tell you though what actually has worked in getting me to bring my own bags when grocery shopping. The Smith's that I shop at gives me 5 or 10 fuel points for each plastic bag that I don't use. The cashier has to estimate of course the number of bags, but usually she just makes it like 10.

I get a point for every dollar spent normally. Every 100 points knocks off ten cents at the fuel pump. That adds up quickly.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
People will pay the extra nickel per bag without a second thought.

Maybe, maybe not.

I'll tell you though what actually has worked in getting me to bring my own bags when grocery shopping. The Smith's that I shop at gives me 5 or 10 fuel points for each plastic bag that I don't use. The cashier has to estimate of course the number of bags, but usually she just makes it like 10.

I get a point for every dollar spent normally. Every 100 points knocks off ten cents at the fuel pump. That adds up quickly.

Woah. I didn't know that.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
New Jersey has plans in the works to put in a STATE WIDE plastic shopping bag ban soon and here's the kicker:

They are also going to BAN retailers from offering paper bags or thicker reusable plastic bags!

WTF people, this is NOT GOING TO WORK. You can't expect that people are going about their business all day long with reusable cloth shopping bags on them, it's just not reasonable to think that is going to happen. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I really don't have a problem with trying to eliminate, or at least minimize, the use of plastic bags. Aldi's has always done this. The damn bags are tissue paper thin and often break, they won't even stay upright in the back of the car. I used to throw away bags full of bags every month.
Now I generally use my own nice heavy cloth bags. I say "generally" because I'll occasionally run in to buy just one item like a gallon of milk but end up with a plastic bag after picking up a couple other things.
I imagine most everyone recognizes that using and throwing away 100's of millions of single use, non decaying, plastic bags every year to be a bad practice.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Any truth to the rumor that the anti plastic bag movement is funded by the Paper Bag Conglomerates Big Grin

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post