SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dem Dallas Mayor switches to GOP: 'American cities need Republicans'
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dem Dallas Mayor switches to GOP: 'American cities need Republicans' Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Dallas folks, what do you make of this?

Dallas mayor leaves Democratic Party, switches to GOP: 'American cities need Republicans'
Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson was elected in 2019 and has been a vocal supporter of law enforcement

By Andrew Mark Miller Fox News
Published September 22, 2023 12:29pm EDT

The mayor of one of the largest cities in the U.S. announced in a Friday op-ed that he is leaving the Democratic Party and becoming a Republican.

In a Wall Street Journal op-ed with the headline "America’s Cities Need Republicans, and I’m Becoming One," Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson explains that he is leaving the Democratic Party because "the future of America’s great urban centers depends on the willingness of the nation’s mayors to champion law and order and practice fiscal conservatism."

"Our cities desperately need the genuine commitment to these principles (as opposed to the inconsistent, poll-driven commitment of many Democrats) that has long been a defining characteristic of the GOP," Johnson wrote.

"In other words, American cities need Republicans — and Republicans need American cities," he continued. "When my political hero Theodore Roosevelt was born, only 20% of Americans lived in urban areas. By the time he was elected president, that share had doubled to 40%. Today, it stands at 80%. As America’s cities go, so goes America."

Johnson has been a vocal supporter of police as other cities, including the Texas capitol of Austin, have moved to defund police departments in the wake of the George Floyd riots.

In February, Johnson posted a Fox News Digital article on social media outlining how Austin police officers are retiring in droves due to low morale resulting from defunding and encouraged those officers to move to Dallas and work there.

"When you have a mayor who supports the police not only in his words but his actions, you see what happens to crime in your city," Austin Police Retired Officers Association Dennis Farris told Fox News Digital on Friday.

"Mayor Johnson has led from the front and it showed when he was re-elected without one single challenger — that’s unheard of in a major U.S. city."

Dallas saw a significant decrease in crime after Johnson took office in 2019. Johnson told Fox News Digital in 2021 he attributed that success to three things — a strong police chief, having "a budget that reflects public safety being your city's top priority" and ensuring there’s "community buy-in" for crime reduction.

Q

Posts: 26470 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its a good thing if he actually governs based on conservative values and ideology otherwise he's just switching from being a liberal Democrat to a Rino republican.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Color me skeptical. Any adult in elected office who believed in the ideals of the Dem party to begin with is someone who cannot be trusted. He could have remained a Dem and just governed as a conservative. I don't know why they don't have DINOs, but we get plenty of RINOs.

Posts: 3549 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I think it may mean he won't get reelected, since the big cities in Texas reliably vote Dem. Maybe that will change, as the Hispanic population grows and the lock on Hispanic voters the Dems used to have has slipped some. But for now, race politics seem to be giving the big city elections to the Dems.

We have to elect a new mayor in Houston this year, and the race that matters is the Dem primary. I don't think a Republican has a chance. Shelia "She JacK" Jacskon Lee is running for mayor (god help us, although if she wins, at least she is out of Congress), and seems to be the front runner. Her main opponent in that primary is State Senator John Whitmire, a white guy, so it may be that the election turns on racial politics, even though everyone dances around that.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Color me skeptical. Any adult in elected office who believed in the ideals of the Dem party to begin with is someone who cannot be trusted. He could have remained a Dem and just governed as a conservative. I don't know why they don't have DINOs, but we get plenty of RINOs.

Would you have voted for Reagan if he had stayed a Democrat who voted conservative? Trump? Sometimes the party leaves a person, not the other way around. It sounds like he has already been governing from conservative principles.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Love how we can't view this as a positive.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38716 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:

Would you have voted for Reagan if he had stayed a Democrat who voted conservative? Trump? Sometimes the party leaves a person, not the other way around. It sounds like he has already been governing from conservative principles.

Dems in those days were to the right of the current GOP. Reagan's ideals didn't change. Current party switchers just have their finger in the wind.

Posts: 3549 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

On a serious note, he has campaigned on a pro-police platform, and his Number 1 priority was and still is public safety. His resume looks way more impressive than a Bill De Blasio. I read he has been at odds with the City Council on various issues, including defunding the police (he wanted a Defund the Bureaucracy measure instead), and lowering property taxes. At best, he may be a RINO, but better than a full-on goddamn commie like Lightfoot.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Thanks for that, instead of seeing folks just outright dismissing him. For those who like to do so, does the name Jeff Van Drew sound familiar?

Q

Posts: 26470 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I think it may mean he won't get reelected, since the big cities in Texas reliably vote Dem. Maybe that will change, as the Hispanic population grows and the lock on Hispanic voters the Dems used to have has slipped some. But for now, race politics seem to be giving the big city elections to the Dems.

Yep. But not necessarily. The only hope of some of these cities is to change direction.
I'm glad to see this.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24171 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Houston hasn't had a GOP mayor for over 40 years. And, with Harris County turning completely blue in the 2018 election, and has since remained that way, the chance of a GOP Houston mayor will be less than slim to none for the foreseable future. But, one can always dream.

Q

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Houston hasn't had a GOP mayor for over 40 years.

St. Louis hasn't had a GOP mayor for 75 years.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24171 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Love how we can't view this as a positive.

Damn, ain't that the truth!

There are varying degrees of measure with anything, and certainly we (definitely I) have NO idea why he was a Democrat in the first place. He could be a 'Reagan Democrat', a Democrat in the mold of Kennedy, or he could come from a long list of Democrats in his family lineage, such that he never considered anything else. One thing for certain, is that anyone who's a liberal today, w/ classic liberal values has seen the Democrat Party veer Far FAR to the left, so much so that they're now considered conservative by comparison. This newly minted Republican may never be considered a Right-wing Conservative, but it's better that he's on our side than not, that's for sure! Give what 'oddball' posted about him above, I think he deserves not skepticism, but rather, a chance to prove his meddle before we judge him.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8949 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
One thing that the impeachment of Ken Paxton exposed is that Texas politics has a lot of Democrats who ran and won as Republicans. Some parts of Texas, you can only win as a Republican so they slither into the Republican platform but don't act or vote much like one.

Is that the case here? Maybe.
  • Traditional thinking is that the big cities of Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin you have to be a Demonrat to win.
  • If we know two things about politicians is they have the self-preservation instincts of cockroach and the morals of a sewer rat. He may be reading the polls and seeing two areas that concern his future as a Demonrat politician. The lock on Hispanic votes has slipped and Mayra Flores winning South Texas' 34th congresssional seat for the US House is an example of this. There is growing voter disillusionment in historic Demonrat voters due to their realization the Demonrat party platform has been hijacked by the extreme left (e.g. defund the police, transgender politics, etc).
  • It could be genuine and what he is saying is truly what he believes. Like nhracecraft posted, he could genuinely be on a Reagan-like journey from Demonrat to Republican.

I say we both welcome him with open arms and combine that with an extensive verification of compliance with the Republican platform. In other words, a little Reagan style trust, but verify.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of abnmacv
    posted Hide Post
    Until age 51 Ronald Regan was a Democrat and look what he did. Let's welcome the mayor and give him a chance. We need more mayors, governors and legislators to follow the path of conversion if the country is to get back on a sane track.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1566 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:

I say we both welcome him with open arms and combine that with an extensive verification of compliance with the Republican platform. In other words, a little Reagan style trust, but verify.

His voting record and statements on policy, principles and his associations should validate or, at the very least provide insight into where this guy stands.
    The reality is today's Democrats can't stand the middle-America, Blue Dog-type of generations past. Some candidates have realized this and figured, the hell with this, why am I sticking with a party where I have zero affinity with any position that the larger body is pushing.

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of abnmacv
    posted Hide Post
    Just saw a photo and some background on teh Dallas mayor who switched. He's Black educated at Education: University of Pennsylvania (2003) [same as President Trump], Harvard University, Princeton University, Greenhill School, Penn Carey Law. He's smart! As a Black man he can speak to other Blacks who have been screwed over for years by big city mayors. He's a big thorn in the side of the Democrats. I'm hoping for the best, the idea of "verify" is sound.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1566 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of JR78
    posted Hide Post
    I’m here in the north Texas area and there has been nothing but a dribble locally about his switch. I’m sure the Uncle Tom groups will be out in force soon.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sigcrazy7
    posted Hide Post
    I’ll trade you one Eric Johnson for a Mitt Romney anyday.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by chellim1:
    quote:
    Houston hasn't had a GOP mayor for over 40 years.

St. Louis hasn't had a GOP mayor for 75 years.

And look where that's got us.

Posts: 2695 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post