SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Did you ever meet up with an old friend and it was like you were never apart
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did you ever meet up with an old friend and it was like you were never apart Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
My wife and I grew up in NJ. We were both involved in emergency services in our town.
Last night a friend and his adult son were in central Fl for a conference so we met up with them.
After five minutes of talking it was like we had never been apart for so long. He is part of a large family of Firefighters and EMS we were part of.
He was in my wedding party and a big part of our lives. We miss all of our friend so much.
Over the last few years some of our friends have passed on and it makes me sad we could not be there for our friend and their family's.
Any time we have met up with old friend it has always been like this.
We have good friend in Fl but it is not the same.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Yep! I have a few friends like that all over the world. It's amazing how good people are timeless in that respect. One that I met during study abroad in Germany for only 3 weeks. We met up again when came back from a semester. Then, in 2015 I stayed with her, her husband and their son for 2 weeks. We grow older but the friendship remains.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I have some friends from way back that are like that. We don't get together very often but when we do it is 5 minutes of catching up and then its like we were never apart.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I have had this experience with a former girl friend.

She still hates me.

Deservedly so.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
Yes. I have a few old military friends that I don't always keep in touch with but when we do happen to get together, it's like no time has passed.

Posts: 1513 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have friends like that from college in the 70's. We were at Northern Michigan University in Gries Hall. This was the jock dorm. Our house was called the Ghetto(of course that would be considered racist now, Even though many members were black)

A few of us get together at homecoming which is great. The funny thing is when we have someone come who hasn't kept up it takes two minutes before we are right back to the relationships we had then. I have many friends now that I see much more often but the guys from the Ghetto are the only ones I would consider "help me bury the body friends"

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have, but yet I met up with my best friend from high school one time and totally did not recognize him. He put on about 200lbs.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Yes, and my story is downright bizarre in a good way.

I spent the middle of second grade to the middle of seventh in a western Chicago suburb during the '60s. One of my classmates and I were friends, but not best friends or anything. My Dad got transferred to Oklahoma City in early 1968 and I never kept in touch with anyone from grade school.

Fast forward to late 2008. While looking online for surplus radios for my unit at the PD, I came across an article on emergency communications. I immediately recognized the author's name. It was my friend from grade school.

I e-mailed him, we then talked on the phone, and realized pretty quickly that we were literally on the same wavelength after 40 years of no contact.

He came down to Dallas three years ago for a few days, and we spooked my wife out because we were finishing each other's sentences and were so much alike. After his second trip down here, it was my turn to go up there. I took my wife along so she could meet my friend's wife.

We weren't in their house an hour when my friend's wife took mine into another room and said, "My God, Pam, this is really scary. They're the same person!"

I cannot explain this. My friend and I are just glad we got reconnected.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Recently I had dinner and hung out with an old friend for the first time in 30yrs.

It was great, "like yesterday" and all that.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
all the time. that's how you know you have great friends.

most of my best friends in life right now live elsewhere. pensacola, baltimore, charlotte, dallas. but everything falls right back into place when we're together.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
absolutely

Just a few weeks ago a friend and coworker took a little vacation and spent a week with me

We had not seen one another in 34 yrs...it was like wed seen each other but a few months ago

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
For me - that's the definition of a good friend. Being able to pick up right where you left off. Being comfortable enough to just let it all go and live in the moment of sharing.

So glad you had the opportunity to catch up with your friend.

Really, it's the best stuff in life. Sharing with those you care about.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Met up with one a few years ago. While it was fun we should have realized we where not in our 20's anymore. I was feeling that night the next day.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I meet with 3 guys that I worked with over 35 years ago once a year, sometimes twice. For days afterwards I still have a smile on my face from seeing them.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Yup, I have a close friend from college who dropped out to join the Navy. 25 years later he's retried and enjoying life down in Florida. We have had some stretches where we did not speak or see each other for 5 or 6 years. No matter how long, every time we reconnect it's like I spoke to him yesterday. He's truly one of my closest friends. The type of person that you could call up in the middle of the night after one of those 5 year breaks and ask a huge favor and he wouldn't hesitate to lend a hand. A great, great guy.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Just got a text out of the blue from my college roommate. Haven't talked to him in years, but it's like no time at all has passed.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
Yup, I have a close friend from college who dropped out to join the Navy. 25 years later he's retried and enjoying life down in Florida. We have had some stretches where we did not speak or see each other for 5 or 6 years. No matter how long, every time we reconnect it's like I spoke to him yesterday. He's truly one of my closest friends. The type of person that you could call up in the middle of the night after one of those 5 year breaks and ask a huge favor and he wouldn't hesitate to lend a hand. A great, great guy.

Bolding mine.

Where in Florida? I will TP his house for old time's sake if you want? :-)

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post