SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wife's minimalist toolbox
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife's minimalist toolbox Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted

With this simple set of three tools, my wife takes on the whole universe of mechanical devices. The nutcracker serves as a general purpose set of channellocks. The other two tools can be knives, pry bars, screwdrivers, heck the imagination is the limit. It's a bit hard to notice the bent tip on the middle tool.

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
The pounding device (old shoe) is missing....

Posts: 4094 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You can't stop 'em. They just gotta fix something.

If it ain't broke, they'll fix it 'til it is.

If there brains were any more powerful, they would kill us with it. So, they just weary us to death.

But, sometimes, they are a lot of fun to have around...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An Ex-GF of mine kept a claw hammer on the passenger side floorboard of her car.
When asked why, she told me she "fixes" things with it.
End of conversation. I did not want to get fixed.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16379 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Sigh.

There's a long story in my repertoire involving my wife, removing the handles of cabinet doors prior to painting and one of my good wood chisels, but I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
This is my wife's tool box...it is around 30 years old...notice everything is there in it's place (except the roll of electrical tape)...NO ONE uses the tools in this box except her (or with her approval and inspection to insure EVERYTHING is back in place)...did I mention that everything is in it's place...after 30 years...

She is a pretty handy gal.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
What? No impact wrench to reinstall switchplate and outlet covers after painting?

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

If it ain't broke, they'll fix it 'til it is.

Big Grin

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
This is my wife's tool box...it is around 30 years old

My wife has a nice Craftsman toolbox just outside the kitchen door, in the garage. It also is about 30 years old. I call them the sacrificial tools, and they are all quality items covering just about any need. I made the kit for her so she would leave my tools alone, which pretty much works. But she would still rather use the kitchen tools, because they are handier. Frown

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, at least she's not using good knives for tools.....LOLOLOL....you should buy her one of those girly tool kits with the pink handles.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
My wife's tools consists of - Knife, Needle nose pliars, and hammer.

Anything else requires calling me.

Posts: 7444 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
What? No impact wrench to reinstall switchplate and outlet covers after painting?

Nope. They'll use your $300 forged, hollow-ground, German-made Santoku knife for that.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
This is why we gave our daughter and her best friend basic starter tool sets for graduation. That way they have everything they'll probably need and can eventually replace pieces with higher quality stuff as they go.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
This is why we gave our daughter and her best friend basic starter tool sets for graduation. That way they have everything they'll probably need and can eventually replace pieces with higher quality stuff as they go.

Thanks for fighting the good fight. If only we could clone you and yours.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
Early in our marriage I found that around my new wife a good many things become not what they use to be. Thinking that if I involved her in the repairs (used up her time) she would not be so eager to change things from their operational state.

But first I had to teach her the name and use for each tool. Almost 30 years later she has learned the names of tools and usually hands me the correct one on the first try.
And she continues to find new ways to render non-operational anything with 2 or more moving parts.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Hey, at least she's not using good knives for tools.....LOLOLOL....

We don't buy good knives, except for the couple of Wusthof's I have hidden away.

Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I can relate to a lot of this. My wife's basic tool kit consists of a 3 pound river rock that she brought with her from Puerto Rico and a beat up steak knife. She could build a house or change out an engine in a car using only these "tools". I call the rock her "Swiss Army Rock" due to it's multipurpose nature. She also uses it for cooking......it permanently smells of garlic.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 900 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
This is my wife's tool box...it is around 30 years old...notice everything is there in it's place (except the roll of electrical tape)...NO ONE uses the tools in this box except her (or with her approval and inspection to insure EVERYTHING is back in place)...did I mention that everything is in it's place...after 30 years...

Drives me nuts when people don't put away tools. Particularly small stuff like bits, that is why I am a fan of bit sets like you wife uses. You can instantly tell when something is missing and either needs to be found or replaced.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Hey, at least she's not using good knives for tools.....LOLOLOL....

We don't buy good knives, except for the couple of Wusthof's I have hidden away.

I have two sets of knives. A set of cheap, but quality ($30-50 knives). And a supplementary set of nice quality knives like Shuns, and Wusthof that stay in the the drawer with knife guards.

I don't mind people using the cheap set as they get destroyed they get replaced. But I make it cheaper the nicer knives are for my user only.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:
I can relate to a lot of this. My wife's basic tool kit consists of a 3 pound river rock that she brought with her from Puerto Rico and a beat up steak knife. She could build a house or change out an engine in a car using only these "tools". I call the rock her "Swiss Army Rock" due to it's multipurpose nature. She also uses it for cooking......it permanently smells of garlic.

This one actually made a little scotch go through my nose!

Posts: 4094 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post