SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking at Raleigh Durham for Retirement
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking at Raleigh Durham for Retirement Login/Join 
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted
I have a minimum of two, and a maximum of four years left at work. Looking at the Raleigh Durham area of NC due to it's proximity to good motorcycle roads, NHL hockey, and the shooting sports, and anything else a smaller city can offer. What say ye olds Sign Forum, ups and downs? Anything to avoid? I'm looking to plan this move, which means buying a residence prior to actually leaving NY. Thanks.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine lived there, a couple years back.

It’s growing like crazy with all of the NE transplants, not sure how much longer the “shooting sports” will be a thing within driving distance.

As for motorcycle roads, as long as you like traffic…

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
IMHO the Raleigh Durham area is as bad or worse than Charlotte. The weather isn't any better (worse sometimes), the traffic seems just as bad, the motorcycle roads are more flat which to me means less fun, can't speak to shooting there but there are plenty of options in Charlotte. Other than the hockey team thing I don't see the advantage.

If you're looking at NC and want a "bigger" town I might suggest Winston Salem area.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6734 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roger on the Research Triangle traffic. Beautiful state , we lived between Greensboro & Winston. Loved North Cackalacky, especially Hickory (Hickrey)area & west of it.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
If you absolutely have to be in that area, head west about 30-40 miles to Mebane. Nice small town, puts you within reasonable distance of RTP and Greensboro via I-40 but lower cost of living and keeps you out of that bigger city hassle unless you choose to enter the fray.

Posts: 13744 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Raleigh is not where I’d retire to.
Traffic sucks
Taxes suck
Crime is thru the roof
There’s a shitload of other humans

If you want to relax, try the western counties in the mountains.

If I won the lottery I’d move to someplace like Hendersonville, Waynesville or the like, and buy a whole mountain. Close enough to Asheville for doctors, but far enough away from the hippies and their ilk in the city.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Last year we bought a home in Pinehurst to “try out the town”. Even though we aren’t golfers we have really fallen in love with the area.

There is a great mix of retired professionals, gov workers etc.

We live in a gated subdivision with an HOA….I never in my mind thought id’ live in one but due to being close to our DIL and new grandchild while my son is frequently downrange made this our first choice and I have to say it’s not an issue.

If HOA’s aren’t your thing there is a fair amount of land in and around Seven Lakes and West End as well.

The roads around here are great. We belong to a couple of car groups and we frequently have rides out in the country…

We are about 1.25 hour from RDU and about 2 hours from CLT.

Reach out to me if you want any more info.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6327 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want to relax, try the western counties in the mountains.

What he said.

I've been here almost two years, moved from Hartford area. If you are used to things that a northern city offers, you can just about forget it down here.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I should note that I don't want to live in either city, just looking at that area in general. I'm an hour north of NYC, so anywhere within about 60 miles would probably suffice.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Lots of liberals over that way.

I was in Eden, Burlington, and Reidsville last weekend. Same general direction, a mite bit west of there, but less Yankees. No offense meant, of course.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
NE Georgia has everything but the NHL team.
Aside from that one item, the others I would consider to be better than NC. If you need access to a major airport, I'd consider that an advantage here.
I moved here decades ago from NW CT and could never live there again, once I'd been here a while.

Posts: 9524 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
You better smile when you say that! Wink

My mother was from Mississippi, and I plan to pass myself off as a long lost son of the south.

quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Lots of liberals over that way.

I was in Eden, Burlington, and Reidsville last weekend. Same general direction, a mite bit west of there, but less Yankees. No offense meant, of course.

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you're looking at NC and want a "bigger" town I might suggest Winston Salem area.

Agreed. While I've never lived in NC, I've spent 3-4 months total working there. Winston Salem is much nicer than Raleigh. Also you go a little west and you have a ton of open country to explore on your bike.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Oh I smiled lol

I’d also recommend looking around Charlotte, maybe even South Carolina. You can be close enough to the things a big city has, but live in the sticks at around an hour away.

NC is going blue. SC is still safe.

I’m sure there are some conservative areas around Raleigh. But South Carolina has us beat in a lot of ways.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I worked in the Raleigh area for a couple years. Absolutely no way I would want to live there. Horrible traffic, people not friendly, all the disadvantages of a metropolitan area with very little of the good stuff.

My assignment there was not long enough to consider buying a home, so I rented. Rents were very high for any place that was worth considering. I did spend a few months in a more "affordable" apartment, it was full of noisy college students and families with young kids. Shouting matches in the parking lot, filthy elevators and hallways. Couldn't get out of there fast enough.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
My sister is just inland of Hilton Head. That's another area to consider.

quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Oh I smiled lol

I’d also recommend looking around Charlotte, maybe even South Carolina. You can be close enough to the things a big city has, but live in the sticks at around an hour away.

NC is going blue. SC is still safe.

I’m sure there are some conservative areas around Raleigh. But South Carolina has us beat in a lot of ways.

posted Hide Post
First there is Raleigh and there is Durham. Raleigh Durham does not exist.

Second as bad as Raleigh has become, Durham is nothing more than a third world country. Crime is rampant. The "leaders" coddle criminals and hate conservatives, guns, and anything decent.

If you want high taxes, to be "ruled" by leftists, bombarded by politically correct news media hourly and dealing with hateful transplants who want to make everything like it was up north, then come on down.

IF you want to retire to a decent place where you can be free, stay away.

This from a born/bred NC person who has lived in Wake County (county where Raleigh is) for over 30 years.

Posts: 232 | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
NE Georgia has everything but the NHL team.
Aside from that one item, the others I would consider to be better than NC. If you need access to a major airport, I'd consider that an advantage here.

I have a good friend that has lived in Roswell GA for quite some time. But now on the cusp of full retirement he too is looking at NE Georgia but to build rather than buy a retirement home.
And FWIW he has vacationed many times in the Carolinas so he is well aware of the differences.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16231 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Isn't that area pretty hot for a economic and real estate standpoint. It's likely going to be expensive and congested. Probably a good place to go if you're looking for a job. But probably not what someone would look for as a retirement destination.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We live in North Durham
I hate this place

The housing market is out of control and the prices are ridiculous.

If i would pick somewhere it would not be Durham.

One of our members stated Mebane which is a great choice unfortunately the prices of housing is rising there also because it is just a hop to Durham, Raleigh, etc..

WCCPHD nailed it on the head.
Hell I would feel safer walking in Kandahar, Helmund etc.. over Durham.

You pay outrageous taxes for nothing in return. Now they want to start reparations..

I personally like Kannapolis/Cabarrus County just up the road from Charlotte (about 30miles)

The only reason I am considering working a shutdown is because it is in Kannapolis. I like the area, people, housing etc..

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post