SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need reco for best "OTC" insert hearing protection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need reco for best "OTC" insert hearing protection Login/Join 
posted
My son joined the IDF earlier this year and is the paratrooper brigade. He's very fit and has been weight lifting for 7-8 years. So we thought he'd get the Negev LMG; nope, he got the FN MAG (58) in 7.62 NATO.

Anyhow, I'm in Virginia and he's in Israel. The hearing protection they get is pretty meh. Given I have genetic hearing loss he will mostly likely as well. Short of getting him fitted for custom inserts, which I'm not sure is possible, I'd like to send over a few sets of the very best "generic" in-ear hearing protection. What should I be looking at? Thanks.
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batty67,

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing, nada? Thought I'd get some recommendations...

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have two sets of custom molded earplugs, and I don’t think they work as well as foam ones. I have also tried just about every rubber earplug I could find, and I don’t think they work as well as foam either. The upside with them is there faster to put in.

The Howard Llight Max-1 plugs are my choice, given a choice lol.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the Surefire ones. They are molded to the ear (more or less), come with a decent plastic case with a short lanyard, and are of reasonably good quality. Probably my favorite non-electronic plug style ear pro. I also like the blue "baffle" style ones sold under a lot of brand names with an orange string between them. They are very occlusive, however, which isn't always better.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I've tried the Decibullz molded plugs. They're pretty good for using an angle grinder and definitely for use during a migraine episode, but I don't recall ever trying them for shooting. I know they market some specifically for that, though. Might be worth a shot.

They're "custom molded" but it's DIY. You warm it up in a cup of water and shove them in your ears while the plastic is still warm and pliable.

They're on Amazon for about $25.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I use silicone rubber with the multiple flanges. If those don’t work, I find a foam set with a plastic stick in the center that pushes them into the ear. In a combat environment I think he will appreciate a lot of inexpensive ones rather than one molded semi-custom pair.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I'll look into all options as I won't be able to get them to him for about a month. I alsready have looked the moldable Decibullz plugs.

posted Hide Post
I’ll second the recommendation for Decibullz hearing protection. Made in USA with several models to choose from. They are easily custom molded to your ears using warm water and following the manufacturers instructions.

I use the percussive shooting model (one of pricier products at around $70) to shoot IDPA and USPSA pistol matches. Works well to allow comfortable conversation, while suppressing most pistol caliber gunshots. I also use them while shooting 5.56mm. I have no experience with any larger caliber in close proximity . I do find additional comfort adding a pair of traditional suppression earmuffs when other shooters are shooting 5.56mm at the indoor range.

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Morning
I am not sure how I missed this thread but I will offer what I use.

I have high level hearing loss thanks to Uncle Sam and the great toys I got to play with, which ranged from 25mm to 7.62 (M240 and the M60) to 5.56mm. Add in all the years of Police qualifications and schools along with heavy construction and I is about deef.

I have tried about every kind of ear plug that has been made with very little success.

I think some of it is due to the fact that I have weird ears canals or some ogre defect.

These are what I have tried and used and have had the most success with..
I am very OCD, and paranoid about my hearing and because of that I haven't shot in years.

I have had the best luck with the cylinder shaped green and orange ear plug by Sound Guard. It is only 29Db though. They make them in 32 and 33Db though.

A long time ago they used to make an all green cylinder shaped ear plug and to me that was the best of the best. I have a few pairs left and they are like fine china. Rarely used...

I have just not had any luck with the bullet or bell shaped foam plugs
For years I have been going to get some custom ones made but I never did.

The problem is that no matter what plugs you use, and whether you go single or double up, a 7.62 belt fed is hard on the body.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrapteam666,

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
MOLDEX SparkPlugs - NRR 33DB - This is what I use at the range under my ear muffs and love them.

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I shot cannons, machine guns and small arms while serving in Uncle Sams Canoe Group. I’ve had all kinds of earpro. Basically the best only are rated between 30-34db.

I used the foamies until I bought custom silicone ones on a lanyard. Same rating, just easier to keep up with. He’s not gonna get a better bd rating unless he adds muffs over plugs.

Even with that he’s gonna have loss and the freedom EEEEEEE(tinnitus)

I wore my earpro religiously and still have the eee and a hearing aid.

Tell him to wear them anytime he can (unless he’s actually in combat). And tell him I said “thank you for your service”

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for active or passive earpro?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use and like the Decibullz ear pro that you mold to your ear after soaking in hot water. So far they have retained their shape well.

Posts: 101 | Registered: January 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Great information.

Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for something cheap and easy, I’ve had good luck with the 3M Skull Screws. Easy in and out and they seal well.

Posts: 1694 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MikeinNC

I have to second what MikeinNC stated.

Advise him to wear ear plugs any time he can.

He may catch some flack for not being manly but it is a life saver.

I always wear them whether I am driving or riding in Humvees, MATV, MRAP's, etc..

I wore them everyday in AFG while driving my MRAPs. I thought I would have a problem wearing them and trying to hear conversations through our CVC headsets.. Never fear, the other joes seemed to always yell when they were talking especially when "excited".

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If you’re able to, it might not be a bad idea to send him a variety of earplugs, so he can determine which fit and work best for him.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. After some research I just got two sets of the Decibullz percussive shooting model. One for him and one for me. I also got a more "basic" set of Decibullz so he can try/have both.