SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    moving a Vehicle with recently expired tag question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

moving a Vehicle with recently expired tag question Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Need to move (drive) a vehicle through a few states with recently expired tags.
I am not the owner but have authorization to move it.
Other than just going for it. What options, if any do I have?

It is insured as am I.

Thanks.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19706 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Can your local DMV or AAA issue you a temporary tag?

God bless America.

Posts: 13864 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t know what state you’re in but a temporary tag is probably cheaper than a citation from highway patrol.

Posts: 1405 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
VA DMV has special tags for the purpose, 3 day Drive Away tags.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10359 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I would just drive it. Odds of getting caught is extremely low, and even if you do it's a simple non moving violation assuming everything else is in order.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Check your state. Many for temporary tag options for this. Although the owner may have to get them.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have inadvertently driven a couple of vehicles with spired tags. One was 2 years out and the second was 1 year out. I was stopped by LE on both occasions but not ticketed. In Montana the DMV sometimes sends a reminder - sometimes. The nice thing is they don’t make you pay for the year you missed. Registration in Montana runs about $200 annually for a newer vehicle.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a temp tag isn’t feasible you might rent a tow dolly or obviously a car trailer. I mention the dolly as probably the cheapest way.

Having suggested that it might also be worth the effort to check the states you wish to cross and see if the towed vehicle needs to be currently tagged. I am suggesting that the vehicle may not need a current tag since it isn’t being driven.

As far as how much damage can you do by using the dolly vs. a trailer? Depends on the car. A front wheel drive car will have virtually zero wear done since there isn’t any power put to the rear axle at all. Other (4WD) vehicles might benefit from having the driveshaft removed.

Can the dolly really work without damaging the car over a long distance? Speaking from a limited experience, I towed a Honda Celica(I think) from California to Pennsylvania a few years back. Used a Penske rental truck. It was a little rough going over the Rockies, even by the southern route. California didn’t allow diesel trucks to be rented there, so I had a gas engine in a large box truck. Gas pedal floored, on the highway, going up hill, doing 30mph.... it had nothing else to give.

Posts: 2158 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
The answer will vary by state. Some examples:
KS would sell you a year's tag then allow you to turn it in for credit of unused portion, so in this case the cost would be 1/12 the full year cost. AZ on the other hand won't refund on an issued tag. Both of those states offer temp tags, but only on purchases.

From a different angle, MO won't pull you over as a primary violation for expired out of state tags, flip side of that coin is KS would.

Best course of action is to discuss with your state tax issuer what options might be available.

There is always the "in transit" method that seems to work well for many dragging things south or into Mexico.

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
In Idaho dmv will give, or rather you pay for a temporary registration which is good for 30 days.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

This is all you'll need. Honest...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Failure to register or expired tags is actually an arrestable offense in NC....( I never arrested someone for just that one offense, but I wouldn’t risk it) call the dmv where you are and see if you can get a three day temp tag for buying/test drive....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11458 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

This is all you'll need. Honest...

Didn’t I see you on Live PD?

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
FWIW, You could legally be cited by every officer that happens to see the expired or missing registration, in every state. No limit to the number of times you could potentially be cited. Sounds like NC is especially tough. And it is the driver that will face the consequences, not the owner as some might expect. Of course I realize you could just go for it, and perhaps never be noticed by LE. Personally, I would not....ymmv
Is a temporary permit to move the car a possibility?

FWIW, I stopped a fellow who expressed the sentiments shown on the homemade plate. I ended up arresting him and impounding his car. I wouldn't suggest going the homemade plate routeWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1577 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
No tags, expired paper tags, no problem here in Arkansas.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7274 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We just arrested a sovereign citizen last night after a quick fight and some broke windows. He was driving with a homemade plate.

My bad, he was traveling in a vehicle with a homemade plate.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8153 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think that plate creates Joinder, I'd just got without.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on how recent the tags expired. If less than a month, I'd drive it. Here in Florida they generally don't write you a citation unless it's over 4 months expired. Why can't the owner just renew the plate or a tag agency should be able to get you a 30 day temporary tag considering the vehicle is insured?

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Back when you signed a credit card receipt at the gas station, (we can't pump out own gas) the attendant laughed and then walked to see my rear license plate (back then your license plate was written on your receipt). The attendant smiled when handing me the receipt and said nice plate. I didn't know what he meant until I got home and looked at the plate. Apparently, my wise ass brother who is in construction used his aluminum brake and made a fake front license plate. For two weeks I had been driving around with a front plate that read "Richie Boy". No police noticed.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4033 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a temporary tag isn't feasible (or otherwise untenable -- absurd costs, for example), I'd trailer it.

Posts: 501 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post