SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Georgia folks, a question about peaches.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Georgia folks, a question about peaches. Login/Join 
Picture of numbnut
posted
I'm wanting to take a little road trip to Georgia for some peaches. When is the peak of the season, and where is a good place to go? I do not want gassed fruit, I can get that here. I'm looking for tree ripened fruit.
Thanks for any help.

Posts: 59 | Registered: July 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
You won't find tree-ripened peaches, unless you find a farmer, who does so, specially, and by some miracle, has enough pickers to deal with it.

If you do find one, please let me know. I'd love to get some again. (And our peach trees aren't mature yet.)

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
South Carolina is big on peaches also.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The Lord could’ve made a better dish than peaches and cream, but He didn’t see any need to.
—my grandfather

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
As long as you're going to be in Georgia to pick up peaches, stop in Vidalia and grab a sack of sweet onions.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
these might be worth a call: https://www.hendrickbuford.com...-find-peaches-in-ga/

I have my own small tree but I only got about 2 dozen off of it last year. I have to compete with the squirrels for them. Mine also tend to ripen late because of all of my shade, I guess.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
The Lord could’ve made a better dish than peaches and cream, but He didn’t see any need to.
—my grandfather

When He was inventing fruit, he could have stopped at peaches.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
https://www.mercier-orchards.com/

They grow lots of different peaches . They usually have two or three varieties and they change up as the season progresses. Looks like the fruit available listing is a little old. (May 1)

Generally the cling stone peaches start about now and then the free stone types come in.
Excellent fruit.

The strawberries are red all the way through and
rival the ones that I enjoyed growing up. We had a large patch and always froze several quarts.
I'm betting that they are at the end of the season for strawberries.

Mercier orchards has become a huge operation and is worth a visit if you are in very north Georgia.

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe South Carolina grows more peaches than Georgia.

Posts: 992 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of numbnut
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into those. Several years ago, I stopped at some exit off I75 and there was a small fruit stand there. All they had was peaches, but they were the best peaches I've ever had. I think I was in S Georgia, but I'm not sure. Was hoping someone could tell me when my best chance of finding something like this again. Was probably a small farm just selling their fruit. I'm in TN, so going as far as the FL line would be ok. Thanks again.

Posts: 59 | Registered: July 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Try some white peaches, excellent flavor. . All yellow peaches are hybrids.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
If you're wanting to take a road trip, then consider going to McLeod Farms in McBee, SC (pronounced MAC'-bee by the locals) for some Mac's Pride peaches. They also sell them at the Farmer's Market in Florence, SC, just off I-95 at Hwy 52. It's probably still a little early in the season for them right now.

These are truly the best peaches I've ever tasted. Ever. Being a SC native, I'm sure a little partial...but McLeod Farms has been doing it for over 100 years (since 1916). My wife and her 3 sisters grew up in a neighboring town, and grew up on these peaches. Actually, one of the sisters lives in Alexandria, VA now...she still loves them so much that she'll order a box and have them shipped to her.

I always end up buying a few jars of their homemade peach salsa too...good grief is that stuff good!

https://www.macspride.com/

Posts: 741 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
In my neck of the woods (1.5 hours north of Atlanta) peaches are a late July crop.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Clingstone peaches drop first... May-June. Freestone peaches are typically later. Clingstone are usually smaller and sweeter. There are white and yellow varieties of each.

What to do with your peaches? Here are a few ideas: https://gardenandgun.com/slide...&utm_content=peaches

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Forget about the peaches and make the trip for some Vidalia onions. Big Grin

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
And then keep going on to Cordele, GA to Stripling's General Store for some sausage and homemade beef jerky!

https://striplings.com/

Posts: 741 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
...I really love your peaches, wanna shake your tree. ...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The Georgia peach truck, tractor trailer comes to the Richwood Flea Market this month. The people line up for 200 yards to buy them. They are $42.00 for a 25 pound case. Yes South Carolina does grow more than Georgia. The best and largest, most juicy peaches I've ever had were grown in Pennsylvania.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
The Georgia peach truck, tractor trailer comes to the Richwood Flea Market this month. The people line up for 200 yards to buy them. They are $42.00 for a 25 pound case. Yes South Carolina does grow more than Georgia. The best and largest, most juicy peaches I've ever had were grown in Pennsylvania.

Really depends on personal taste. Larger peaches aren’t as sweet.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
The best peaches I ever ate were from an orchard just south of Scott AFB, Illinois, but I won't turn down any good peaches--GA and SC both raise wonderful ones (I lived in Sumter, SC for 4 years and still remember them).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post