SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone leave Apple for Android?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone leave Apple for Android? Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dude, don't get in the way of emotional ranting with facts. You might ruin the internet!

Wink

I know. I almost feel bad, too. It was a good one, this Russian thing. I'm still chuckling.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
I had a 4s I Phone went to the S6 Galaxy for the last 2 years or so. Broke the screen on it. Dang.
Started up my old I Phone 4s and got a special code from SPRINT to reset it to factory specs. It's humming along just fine. Not as fast but I somehow like the way the features work. I don't need a lot of APPS. I find it texts better and email is simple. I'm going to buy another new 4s to have as a backup. They are about $100. I prefer the smaller size of the 4s new phones are so dang big. I already carry enough daily I don't want a big phone. I liked the flip phone I used as well. T9 texting is a pain but the battery last 2 weeks the talking sound quality is better and I can just put in another ready batt that is charged if needed.
I think Android has a lot going for it especially if you want to take advantage of all the Apps available. I just don't live to use my phone every waking moment.
I wouldn't buy a new I phone for a grand when my old 3g 4s works well enough for my "real" needs.

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Sure. They just don’t admit it.

0:01

Posts: 4213 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
I can't leave Apple, because I've never been there (and I've generally been very happy with my life).

PCs and whatever-isn't-Apple has worked very well for me, and I have some money left over.

The above describes my situation perfectly! I don't want or need a damn thing apple offers!

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Nope bought the original Apple iPhone and upgrade about every 2 to 4 years. Up to the SE model right now, I really don't like the larger screen ones as it's a phone/texting device to me not entertainment. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a long time Apple phone user, but with the recent nonsense that Apple pulled with the batteries failing and software tricks to make the phone performance diminish, I went to the Samsung S9. The other issue with my iPhone 6+ was that it would randomly restart itself. Not only mine, but other family members iPhone 6's as well. I suspect that is another Apple scam to get you to upgrade. SCREW APPLE! But I still prefer my Mac laptop or a Windows machine.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Seems we're all caught between a rock and a hard place; the bastards at Apple or the bastards at Google.

No escape; you picks your poison.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I left Android for iPhone. Got tired of the android devices going haywire and essentially bricking every few years.

Posts: 13744 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I switched from iPhone to a Samsung 3 years ago and haven't looked back. IMO, a much better phone, even though I'm not an apps kinda guy. And I've never had it crash even once. On my 2nd Samsung (S7) and never had an issue.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I moved to Apple 3 years ago. The reason for the move was connectivity to my hearing aids via Mifi. I’m able to connect to hearing aids without an intermediary device.

I would definitely consider going back to android but I like the hearing aid connectivity. Last time I checked the connectivity to hearing aids with android was not as good as apple.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm in the computer field, so I try everything, within reason.

I've had two Android devices and they are now both relegated to the "never use" shelf. One of them has factory-built malware installed that is impossible to remove. Malware? Yep, if your device is made in China, you have a better than 50% chance that the manufacturer snuck crapware disguised as system software onto it. I've also had problems with Android holding a wi-fi connection, sometimes requiring a reboot just to re-connect to a known network. I could go on, but I won't.

Apple build "luxury" products. So if price is your concern, Apple isn't going to be your solution. I'm not a fan of tablet-sized phones, so I've stuck with my iPhone 6s, which is plenty large (and capacious enough at 128GB). I get everything I want and need, so there isn't a drive to go newer or larger.

I also subscribe to podcasts which are delivered through iTunes, and that locks me into the Apple camp as well.

No more am I going to be a point man in the Apple-vs-the-world wars (Microsoft, IBM, Adobe, Java, Google). You get what you pay for, so choose the product that satisfies your needs and wallet. Caveat emptor.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Went the other way a year ago or so. There are some things about Android I miss, but not enough to go back.

Bottom line, for me, is I don't trust the security of Android phones and I don't trust Google any further than I can spit. If it was "just" a phone, calendar, navigation device, web browser, messaging device: That'd be one thing. But I keep an encrypted digital keyring on my mobile devices. Everything is in that keyring. Literally everything.

(Dealing with a pair of verkakte Android TV devices and their Chinese manufacturer's crappy code reminds me, on a regular basis, why I ditched Android mobile devices. These things will almost certainly eventually be replaced by Apple TV devices.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I tried an Android for a few weeks several years ago, and I didn't like it. Android is generally more customizable, but the iPhones just work without having to make a million choices.

I own a car stereo store, and I see a lot of customers with different phones. I can tell you that iPhone users generally have few problems, and Android users on average don't know how to use their phones. We are selling a lot of head units now that have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The CarPlay just works, and I almost always have to have one of my guys work with the customer's phone to get Android Auto working. And CarPlay is clearly superior to Android Auto.

I'm not putting down Android phones-I'm just reporting my observations for what they're worth. In my opinion, if you don't want your phone to be a part time hobby, just stick with the iPhone.

Gonna send you an email. I have a car stereo question you might be able to help me with

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
3 years ago I went with a Samsung S5 after years of Apple iPhones. I had to have the phone replaced 3 times before I sold it on eBay for less than $200 with a bunch of extras. The much older iPhone 4 I sold when I got the Samsung netted me almost twice that. The big issue with the S5 were camera and Bluetooth/WiFi. iPhones just work for me and I like the simplicity. I stream my music and haven’t used iTunes in many years. I don’t see myself ever dipping my toes in again in the Android pool.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Despite being all-in with Apple (phone, iPad, Apple TV, MacBook, I was strongly thinking about it over the spring/summer. I had been upgrading my iPhone annually since it came to Verizon but last year didn't do anything for me. Work finally dumped Sprint for Verizon (Sprint just sucks up here) and we all could choose an iPhone 8 or the Galaxy S8. I went S8.

The display is amazing and Samsung's skin over Android has been good. Wasn't blown away by the camera and the real killer was trying to get music and podcasts on there. I'm generally good with tech but no matter which setting I chose I couldn't get it to let me plug into my laptop and move music onto it. So I went to podcasts. Downloaded most of them using the default Google app but for one I had to download another podcast app to get it. Plugged it into my Jeep which does not have Android auto or CarPlay, but plugging in the iPhone it plays music, you can navigate folders, playlists, etc. Jeep did not like the S8. Would not connect via USB. Did not try bluetooth. Get to work for a trip and the company car has Android Auto. Download the app, go through a million questions (why?) and it would only find/play the newest podcast, not the oldest of the 4 or 5 I had from one creator.

The plan was if I liked the S8, I'd hold out for the S10 coming in April. It will be an amazing phone, no doubt. But I couldn't make Android play nice with my music and other media and that's a show stopper. Also don't like having to dick with setting up Android Auto when CarPlay just works. In some cases I do miss the endless customization of the S8 on my personal device (XS Max) but in the end, Apple just works. I love gadgets but the amount of crap you have to go through to dial in Android just doesn't appeal to me enough to try and resolve the music issues (I am 100% confident I could've solved that if I really wanted). If someone isn't already heavily in the Apple ecosystem then the Galaxy and Pixel phones are extremely compelling. I have several friends with the Pixel who are not techies and they take amazing photos on their phones.

Long story short, I've stuck with Apple.

Posts: 2195 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Can't afford to keep buying almost outdated iPhones to see them become obsolete or nuked by the manufacturer with mandatory updates anymore.
Those things are expensive down here and service is non-existent and or cost prohibitive without even a BS warranty.

Android learning curve wasn't that hard looking back a i am now happy with my otherwise shitty Huawei. Does the job.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12124 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I own a Samsung S7 and iPhone 8. I still prefer Android. Android continues to improve and push the boundaries. My S7 has a better resolution and larger screen than the iPhone a generation newer.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7072 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Never had an iPhone. Every other update on my iPod causes havoc if I had to put up with that with my phone I'd toss it in the river.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Nope

Posts: 13814 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post