SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Illinois man wins marathon after 2 leaders take wrong route
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illinois man wins marathon after 2 leaders take wrong route Login/Join 
Picture of p08
posted
My daughters track coach is the winner. She said that people are calling on her coach to give the prize to the two runners who went the wrong way. I said to have her tell them to piss off and good job!

quote:
MOLINE, Ill. (AP) — An Illinois man unexpectedly won the Quad Cities Marathon this weekend when the two Kenyan runners who had far outpaced him were disqualified after being diverted off the course by a race volunteer bicyclist.

Tyler Pence crossed the finish line in 2 hours, 15 minutes, 6 seconds to become the first U.S. runner since 2001 to win the race through the Quad Cities along the Mississippi River in Illinois and Iowa. Pence, the head track and cross-country coach at the University of Illinois-Springfield, logged his fastest time ever with the win and took the first prize of $3,000.

https://newschannel20.com/news...09-27-2021-194541267

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Maybe the guy on the bike should pay them Wink

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
From the link:

“At that intersection where that incident happened, the course was well-marked," Moreno said. "The signage is well-displayed. The volunteers are there. And the fourth element is those elite runners have a meeting the day before to get familiar with the course.”

Recall running in a 10K that went along a canal. For some reason the leaders took a left, crossing a bridge. More then a few runners followed. The rest of us either missed the wrong turn or knew where the finish was. Yes, there was a lot of complaining but the leaders couldn’t readily explain why the turned

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:

[QUOTE] MOLINE, Ill. (AP) — An Illinois man unexpectedly won the Quad Cities Marathon this weekend when the two Kenyan runners who had far outpaced him were disqualified after being diverted off the course by a race volunteer bicyclist.

/Sean Connery

"It's the Cgicago way!"

/Connery off

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
She said that people are calling on her coach to give the prize to the two runners who went the wrong way.

Of course they are. They went the wrong way, fuck ‘em.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately for the “Leaders” it’s their responsibility to know the course…… congratulations to her coach, enjoy your win!

------------------------------------
Good men must sometimes do bad things to bad people; to keep them from doing bad things to the innocent !!

Posts: 736 | Location: Tucson,Az | Registered: August 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Odd. The race is trying to find a way to compensate the two runners that lost.

If the white guy who won, had lost, would people be trying to compensate him?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
"...the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong..."

There are many instances in a tight race of any kind where the two leaders knock each other out, and whoever was in the third position took the prize.

He crossed the "Finish" line first, he's the winner. Deserves got nothing to do with it.

Posts: 2661 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^I'm remembering the 1984 L.A. Summer Olympics Women's 3000m run when Britain's Zola Budd collided with heavily-favored Mary Decker of the United States, knocking her completely out of the race. Budd was able to finish but only came in seventh, with another athlete from Romania actually taking home the gold.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Give them a Douglas Wrong-Way Corrigan Participation Trophy.

Good job to the coach. He completed the three steps to winning the race:
1. Start the race
2. Finish the race
3. Cross the finish line first

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by p08:

[QUOTE] MOLINE, Ill. (AP) — An Illinois man unexpectedly won the Quad Cities Marathon this weekend when the two Kenyan runners who had far outpaced him were disqualified after being diverted off the course by a race volunteer bicyclist.

/Sean Connery

"It's the Cgicago way!"

/Connery off

Except it wasn't anywhere near Chicago.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ajm10:
Unfortunately for the “Leaders” it’s their responsibility to know the course……

Yup. The day before all the elite runners were briefed on the course. This is a big story here in IA/IL Quad Cities. The media is making this a big deal but AFAIK the two Kenyan runners have not complained. The local news said:

"As the winner, Pence won a cash prize of $3,000. After review, both Saolo and Kibet were rewarded with $2,000 each even with the disqualification. Moreno estimates all three runners would have finished in a high enough position to earn a cash prize barring the wrong turn."

Complete article:

https://www.kwqc.com/2021/09/2...last-time-marathons/

The course is on both sides of the Mississippi in IL and IA. The mix-up took place on the IL side on the Rock Island Arsenal, from which I retired five years ago. I ran the half, and as I finished (in 2:14:11) I heard the full marathon leader was real close. Once he finished, we were all surprised it wasn't one of the Kenyans, then we heard what happened.

https://www.qcmarathon.org/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The title aptly describes the state of affairs in Illinois.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Odd. The race is trying to find a way to compensate the two runners that lost.

If the white guy who won, had lost, would people be trying to compensate him?

The race is doing what they can to save face for their course guide leading the race leaders onto the wrong route.

If Tyler Pence, the white guy who won, were in the lead and directed onto the wrong course, I believe the race organizers would have done the same thing and awarded him a consolation prize. It might not have been as much, since he wasn't the race favorite.

You can argue that the runners are supposed to know where to go, but in the midst of a race, the runners listen to the race officials.

A similar thing happened in this past Tokyo Olympics. In the men's & women's mixed 4x400m semifinal, the US team was disqualified, b/c one of the US runners lined up at the wrong mark on the track. The DQ was reversed, and the US team was reinstated for the finals when the US successfully petitioned that the US runner lined up at the wrong mark, b/c the course official put her there.

People argued, how could the US runner make that mistake? This wasn't a HS JV meet. This was at the highest level of competition, and she's a professional. After all the races she's run, she doesn't know the right mark to line up on?

If you want to see it:https://youtu.be/YYE8NP75wcA

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I been in the right place
But it must have been the wrong time
I'd have said the right thing
But I must have used the wrong line
I'd a took the right road
But I must have took a wrong turn
Would have made the right move
But I made it at the wrong time

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to Tyler ... he won the race fair and square !

It is interesting how many "out of the country" folks enter these races and win.

Looking at both the men and women winner list from the Bloomsday race in Spokane (where both my daughter and I have run 5 years in a row before Covid) ... the winners are from out of the country :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilac_Bloomsday_Run

At least I don't have to worry about running off course, my greatest worry is just saying ahead of the "balloon ladies". Smile

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I been in the right place
But it must have been the wrong time
I'd have said the right thing
But I must have used the wrong line
I'd a took the right road
But I must have took a wrong turn
Would have made the right move
But I made it at the wrong time

Nostalgia caught up with me here. I haven't heard it in forever, and it reminds me of being a kid. Thanks for posting!

Posts: 7257 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Tough shit. You can't win if you can find the finish line.

No matter what color you are.

By all means, though, give these direction-impaired yutzes a consolation prize. Perhaps a nice compass, maybe a GPS. How about a book on how to pay attention?

Posts: 107601 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently completed my 26th marathon. I've never been in a position where the volunteer bike/pacer has been a factor in any of my races because I ain't that fast. However, it is still up to the participant to be aware of the course. Check the athlete handbook and waivers.

In my experience, the bike pacer (or car) is known to the race organizer and understands the importance of the task. I'd imagine the front runners began to tune out the course and focus on the pacer/rear tire only - trying to spend their mental energy on pacing, foot placement, energy output, positioning with the other runners.

In the grand scheme of things, this marathon isn't one of the marque races in the US and likely doesn't attract the 1%.

I suppose the race organizers are offering up the prize money to the Kenyans as an admission of guilt and to ensure they continue to attract top runners.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post