SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about using the "Find My Phone" app for iPhones
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about using the "Find My Phone" app for iPhones Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
As I understand it, if I lose my phone, I should log in to iCloud to use the "Find My Phone" app. However, each time I log in to iCloud on my laptop, Apple sends an authentication code to my phone. If I don't enter this code, I can't get into iCloud.

What am I missing here? How can I get the code which is sent to my phone, if I don't have my phone?

Posts: 107664 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Log in to icloud. It will take to to the 2F requirement. There is an icon below the code for quick access to find my phone. Click the icon and it will bypass the 2F code.

https://discussions.apple.com/...66618022#30966618022

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
You can also log in to iCloud ahead of time and select 'trust this browser' then it won't ask for the 2F code next time. This only works if you don't routinely regularly delete cookies and logins, so only use it at home, not work.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Para

You also have the option to select a “trusted friend” perhaps your wife?

She can use her phone to “find your phone” with your passcode information.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12342 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I use "Find My" to find my wife fairly regularly. She goes out shopping or whatever, allegedly for such-and-such a time, and, sometimes, well after that time: No wife.

Instead of pestering her by calling her or texting, I simply "Find My" wife with that app.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, leaving two factor authentication in place, I can add another number, and yes, my wife is the logical choice. Does this mean, however, that each time my phone receives an authentication code to get into iCloud, her phone will receive the code also? Or does a code go to her phone only if I specify that I don't have access to my phone?

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
No, it’s a one time thing. My wife can track ours and so can I.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11295 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, in iCloud, when I choose "didn't get a code" and it brings me to a screen that says "Update phone number", is it asking me to put in the trusted phone number, other than my own number?

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If you use a Mac computer, or an iPad, you can receive the authentication code on one of those. I always receive it on my Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30706 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
So, leaving two factor authentication in place, I can add another number, and yes, my wife is the logical choice. Does this mean, however, that each time my phone receives an authentication code to get into iCloud, her phone will receive the code also? Or does a code go to her phone only if I specify that I don't have access to my phone?

Only if you don't have your phone.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Hey for tracking a family member, you can share location between phones.
In Iphone open a text message to that person
Click on the name at the top, the click the shar my location.
For my wife and kids we all share locaitons with eachother.

now when you want to track them,
open a text message you have with them, click the name and the next screen shows a map as to where they are.

I find this work poorly when they are actually at home, I think it is a cross up of the home network vs cell tower network. If we are out and about town it works perfectly

I do wish I could walk around my house yelling he siri where are you and my phone would ring back, that would be helpful

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5134 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
you need to install iCloud on the PC, and when you login to iCloud on your browser you will be asked for a code the first time, but, you should see the "Trust This Browser" page, once that's done it shouldn't ask for codes again on that PC with that browser.

If you delete cookies everytime you close the browser then you may have to authenticate each time.

For you and the wife to see each others phone
you need to setup family sharing for both of your phones, and it's a good idea to do that for backups as well

Link Family Sharing/Groups

when you get iCloud setup for your browser when you sign out you'll get another Trust question, once you click Trust and Sign Out you shouldn't get 2F verification requests again.

However again if you clear your browsers history and cookies each time you close, that probably will cause it to ask for 2F again

Posts: 23516 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
"Trust This Browser" has never worked for me. I have to re-validate every time I try to use an Apple login.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30706 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
"Trust This Browser" has never worked for me. I have to re-validate every time I try to use an Apple login.

Especially if you have an app that cleans your browser cache for whatever purpose. I've had CCleaner and the like, and afterwards, I have to go through "remember this device" or "this is not a public computer."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19691 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Trust This Browser" has never worked for me.

Odd, it works perfectly for me with the Safari browser on my MacBook Pro.

I use the "Find My" app and it never asks for an authentication code but it's been so long since I set it up I don't remember how! Sorry.

About the find my app. I use it to find my wife (wife's phone) often. Once was to check on her progress as she was on a day long drive to the gulf coast when I checked in on her. I saw she had missed a turn and had been going in the wrong direction for about an hour Eek

I was able to call her and redirect her back on track... saving her no telling how many miles and hours lost time! She isn't the best with directions and was blindly following an improperly set GPS.

The find my app is awesome. I used it just the other day, we were out of town and (again my wife) couldn't remember if she had left her phone at home or lost/left it somewhere that day while we were out. Naturally she was all tore up about it. Took me perhaps 10 seconds with "Find My" to determine her phone was safe back at home.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you using Private windows/tabs? Those lose all cookies and other site data when you close the window.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those lose all cookies and other site data when you close the window.

Yep thats what I said earlier too, if you have the options set when you close the browser to clear cache/cookies etc you will have to re trust.

Same for any installed browser blocker cleaners etc.

Just set those to not clear out icloud.

Posts: 23516 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Somehow my Iphone and Ipad are linked, I guess through Apple account. Perhaps your wifes iphone or ipad is linked to yours.

When I can't find my Iphone or Ipad, I pick up the other and it finds the missing one right away, and will give a dot spot of location, and play a tone. Then I find it, exactly where I left it.

Just looked, under Settings, first thing is my name, apple id, media & purchases. Touch that, and it shows both my Apple devices, and this is on both my ipad and iphone.

I hope this is helpful to you and others.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Log in to icloud. It will take to to the 2F requirement. There is an icon below the code for quick access to find my phone. Click the icon and it will bypass the 2F code.

https://discussions.apple.com/...66618022#30966618022

This is all you have to do.

Posts: 3232 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

It works for me using Chrome.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post