SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The reason I'm selling some of my guns and ammo in the Classifieds
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The reason I'm selling some of my guns and ammo in the Classifieds Login/Join 
posted
I got myself in trouble with the house I inherited. I'm behind on the awful taxes here in NY and I'm trying to prevent foreclosure, hard to admit this, but it is what it is.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayin' that this situation gets righted soon!!

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Are you living in the house, renting it out, or is it unoccupied?

To confirm, this is an inherited property with a mortgage (in your name, not the estate) and you're delinquent on property taxes, correct? Also you indicated to prevent foreclosure, so you're delinquent on mortgage payments, or no?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8959 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear, do what you gotta do.

With the Gov’t, they have a way of burying one with penalties & interest.

Posts: 6186 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owe nothing for the house, other than taxes. Rented it too cheaply to one of my mom's best friends, because I knew she would take care of it, which she has. Wife an I have decided to rent it more closely to what we should get for a house in the country with a garage.

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Wreckdiver

Very sorry to read that. Be sure to consolidate those ads into ‘one post’ or they will end up getting locked or deleted.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12350 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I typically do not encourage anyone to take on debt. However, if doing so permits you to settle the taxes and you can rent it at the appropriate rate and retire the debt, and "pay yourself" after, it is a wise investment.

Otherwise, take the loan, pay the taxes, sell, pay off the loan and invest the money.

If you are able to sell of personal property (firearms etc.) and get the same outcome, then that is better than the loan.

I wish you luck, having been in similar circumstances before, it is no joyride, but "test run" every scenario in your mind, and ask experts for their advice and run the the best option.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s hard to wrap my mind around the idea that you rented it for less than taxes and insurance costs you. If it’s a family friend explain and adjust the rent accordingly.

It sounds like you didn’t rent cheap you rented stupid cheap.

You can get out of this, avoid the foreclosure if only so you can sell and come out positive. (Not saying that is the smarter play but you clearly need to up your landlord game). You probably can’t sell stuff out of this problem. Think bigger and more long term.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
I lived in central NY (Oneida Co) for one lousy year; 1999. I’d bought a small house. My escrow for the damn property taxes was more than my principle/interest. Something like $3500 a year for a two bedroom little house on a small city lot in 1999 dollars. I’m still bitter.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
It is a great time to sell. Is there some reason to hang on to it?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19251 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
How much are we talking? No question about it, I’ll gladly chuck a C or two in.

Posts: 45401 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
I owe nothing for the house, other than taxes. Rented it too cheaply to one of my mom's best friends, because I knew she would take care of it, which she has.

Which is a nice gesture towards her and good for you--as far as that goes, but are we to understand you rented it for less than taxes + homeowner's insurance? (Speaking of which: Does said insurance have coverage for renting the covered property out?)

What about the costs of upkeep repairs and normal maintenance?

quote:
Wife an I have decided to rent it more closely to what we should get for a house in the country with a garage.

Probably wise, but now the question is: Have you ever rented-out properties, been a landlord, before? If not: I have to tell you: From the horror stories I've heard from those I know who have, I wouldn't do it for love nor money.

When you get good renters it can be fine. Get bad renters and it can be a never-ending nightmare. Probably even more so in a blue state like NY.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ag111ga
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

I haven't been posting for long time, as I'm trying to minimize my digital footprint these days, so many may have forgotten me, but I'm still here every day.
I'll second mark123 and gladly contribute whatever I can.
We've done it before and I'm sure we can do it again.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

Posts: 239 | Location: Denmark | Registered: April 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rangemaster:
Something like $3500 a year for a two bedroom little house on a small city lot in 1999 dollars. I’m still bitter.

Come to Loudoun County.

My property, a 1 bedroom 900 ft2 frame house built 75 years ago is allegedly worth $285K.

Not counting the 1/2 acre lot. That is an additional $230K.

My property taxes are around $5000 per year.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
I owe nothing for the house, other than taxes. Rented it too cheaply to one of my mom's best friends, because I knew she would take care of it, which she has.

Which is a nice gesture towards her and good for you--as far as that goes, but are we to understand you rented it for less than taxes + homeowner's insurance? (Speaking of which: Does said insurance have coverage for renting the covered property out?)

What about the costs of upkeep repairs and normal maintenance?

quote:
Wife an I have decided to rent it more closely to what we should get for a house in the country with a garage.

Probably wise, but now the question is: Have you ever rented-out properties, been a landlord, before? If not: I have to tell you: From the horror stories I've heard from those I know who have, I wouldn't do it for love nor money.

When you get good renters it can be fine. Get bad renters and it can be a never-ending nightmare. Probably even more so in a blue state like NY.

We now have 4 rental properties, I could tell you horror stories. Here's one: Tenants were behind on rent, so we did the eviction thing. Went in after they left and saw the little buttons all over the ceilings. While cleaning it out, I found one in a storage area that had what the others were holding! You know those ribbon fly traps they used to have in barns? That what they were. This was a couple, recommended by a good customer (their daughter and her boyfriend) Daughter came from good stock, but didn't inherit like tendencies.

We hauled 36 bags (those big black ones from Home Depot) which filled my trailer to the max to the dump. It was the worst we have had in 34 years!! So you can see why am gun-shy on finding new tenants.

We plan to sell our house, and the duplex behind it in 5 years, moving into my parents house for retirement, so keeping it nice is of the utmost importance!!

posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks Mark, but I think I can work my way out of this without charity. Your a good man for the offer!!!!!!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks Mark, but I think I can work my way out of this without charity. Your a good man for the offer!!!!!!!

It's not charity. At sometime in all our lives, we've needed a hand up, not a hand out. Please don't let pride get in the way.

Posts: 7023 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I understand completely. It’s a shitty situation, you’ll pull through.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
quote:

It's not charity. At sometime in all our lives, we've needed a hand up, not a hand out. Please don't let pride get in the way.
Yeah, it’s not charity. It’s sharing. Besides it’s not like you’ve never helped me out in the past. Wink

Posts: 45401 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Got damn property taxes Mad Fucking bloodsuckers. Should be a cap, or do you have kids in school? Ridiculous here now. And I’m in TX.

God bless and best of luck to you.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12661 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post