SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Watch opinions or advice appreciated
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watch opinions or advice appreciated Login/Join 
posted
Hi guys,
I'm unsure what to do and thought I'd get some other opinions (insights). I do enjoy mechanical watches and have a half dozen of various older Seiko's and Citizens (nothing valuable)
A month ago, I was given a non-running, auto-winding Omega watch from 1949-1950 (according to serial number). Cosmetically, it looks "vintage" but nothing that I would be ashamed to wear. I have no idea of its value. I sent it to a watch repair place and recently received an estimate of $360 to take it all apart, repair, clean lube and replace the crystal. One year warranty.
Is this a reasonable thing to do?? Or should I just sell it on Ebay as a non-runner and take whatever money I get and be satisfied. Opinions much appreciated!
Thanks, mike

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Yep. Wouldn’t hesitate at that.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
All I'll say is that does not seem like a bad price at all. I just spent about $900 on maintenance to my Tag Carrera for reference.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I inherited a 1965 Omega Constellation PiePan that wasn't running. Paid $159 for complete service in 2009 by a certified repairman. No crystal was needed and I opted not to replace the crown/stem assembly with integral o-ring as no OEM parts are available. Aftermarket doesn't have the Omega logo on the crown.

Given inflation and the need for a crystal I would have guesstimated $250 -$300. But you're in the great northwest so who knows. How did you happen to select this particular watch repair shop?

FWIW my Marathon SAR ran me $250 for service and my Sinn's a few hundred more. This a few years back.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16189 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
.......How did you happen to select this particular watch repair shop?

Simply from an Internet search. They were based in Illinois (not overseas). I couldn't find anyone even close to my area. No one to even give recommendations. Confused

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My opinion?

In a word- Dave....
Talk to Dave, one of the members here. He'll give you his expert opinion and your options.

https://mimisjewelryinc.com/

About the only person in the world that has a bad word to say about David is some dude on an airplane. Even then, he will say it with great respect. Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post